PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasaucer, Megasaucer or any other saucer?

durga8
11-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi, I'd appreciate your thoughts on saucers. One of my friend has an ultrasaucer which we tried out and DS didn't seem too thrilled. He may have been a bit tired to be enthusiastic and expending energy. Though, I was wondering if the ultrasaucer is a bit too busy? It would be sensory overload for me...though would like to hear from you about your experiences. Evenflo seems to be a favored brand, are there any other good brands/features?

Also where can one find one at a good price? One of the ladies I met in our public library told me that the saucer is a "must have" and she got a Megasaucer for 39$ at a local Big Lots (they don't have any more left).

thanks,
durga8

Jen in Chicago
11-06-2003, 03:03 PM
We have the one Big Lots had and he LOVES it. He also loves the "Jeep" style one daycares has and the super plain ones they have (no built on toys). He was in his friend's and again, different model but he enjoyed it. Mostly he wants to bounce up and down, and turn around.

I my eyes, he likes whatever one we put him in (he has enjoyed all 4 models he has been in.) Find one you like and buy it. I like how colorful our's is. Each week he seemed to learn how to do another activity on it. The last one he is trying to perfect right now. He will really focus on something and work on his skill. He'll get in it SO serious, so crazy happy, then start to concentrate on his latest item.

At home we has his in front of a mirror and he has so much fun watching that baby in the mirror.

We started using it when he was about 3.5/4 mo old.

Momof3Labs
11-06-2003, 04:03 PM
How old is your baby? He may not be the right age for a saucer - some babies like them sooner than others. Also, younger babies take a little time to figure the saucers out.

We had a megasaucer (got it on clearance for under $50) and used it from 3.5 months until about 7 months. It was the first place that we could put Colin that he actually enjoyed! Ahh - freedom for Mommy! We limited his use, however, because too much of a good thing isn't so good.

Anyways, whichever one you choose will probably be fine. Your baby won't know (or care) if you spent $40 or $80.

durga8
11-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your replies. DS is 4 months old.

durga8

hwin708
11-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Burlington's Baby Depot just had a flyer that advertised $10 off all Evenflo products, which includes their saucers.

JMarie
11-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Aidan still loves his Megasaucer, even if he is almost too big for it. We don't really put him in it - he pulls up on it and plays from the outside. He loves the ball-filled cylinders that spin around - he'll stand there and hit them over and over just to make that noise. My IL's have the Ultrasaucer, which he loves too. They bought theirs at a garage sale. Maybe check out some baby-gear resale shops. HTH!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

mommyj
11-07-2003, 02:27 AM
I think it depends on your baby. DS hates being overwhelmed with too many toys, so he screamed when we put him in the utlrasaucer to try it out. He LOVED the megasaucer and the Aquatic Entertainer. We ended up getting the aquatic one because DH liked it more. DS seemed to like those two equally. HTH!

bnme
11-07-2003, 07:07 AM
We have the Discovery Farm -not sure if they make it any more. My DS still loves it and also play with it from the outside-when he's not seated in it. I like it better than the other saucers becuase it does not rock and I think that will extend the usable life of it for us.

cuca_
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
We have the ultrasaucer and dd loves it. She started using it around 4.5 months and it is one of the her favorite toys. She does not seem to be overwhelmed by all the toys. On the contrary she makes her way around and sucks, and plays with all of them. I personally like this model because it folds a bit, and when I don't want to have it out I take off all the tall toys and push it under her crib. HTH.

jmofarrill
11-07-2003, 09:38 AM
We have the Ultrasaucer. We started using it when dd was around 5 mo, and she didn't really like it at first. We put her in it for a few minutes a day, just so I could get a couple things done in the kitchen. After about a week, she started having a grand old time in it! Now she loves being in the Ultrasaucer. Dc has a Graco (don't know which model) that they have positioned in front of a mirror, and Anwyn likes that set-up, too.

McQ
11-07-2003, 11:37 AM
We have the Evenflo with the musical king/queen. I think it's called the Portable Fun something or other. DS loves it. He usually has one had on a toy holding on and the other hand on a toy sticking it in his mouth. And then rotates when he sees something else to put in his mouth. We pretty much limit it to 15-20 minutes at a time. But those 15-20 minutes are well needed by me so it's a win-win.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

gisele
11-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I don't know if you live near San Jose, but last night there were 2 Megasaucers left at a Big Lots here.

flagger
11-07-2003, 02:32 PM
We have the Megasaucer and at first she only fixated on one or two items. Now she works herself around the whole thing. Yesterday we raised it up to the next level. You can find them at Consignment stores and for only the short amount of time you get to use them, I think that is the best deal. The ones near us were priced almost as high than as new so Ms. Flagger opted for a new one.

HTH

suz
11-07-2003, 03:50 PM
I returned the Ultrasaucer and purchased the Megasaucer from Big Lots. It took some time for her to warm up to it. At first, I think she was unsure of it. Now, my DD loves her Megasaucer. She'll bounce and spin. It's quite a sight!

durga8
11-13-2003, 12:03 AM
thanks all! i really appreciate all your replies.

giselle- i am near oakland- a bit too far from San Jose.

btw- does anyone know if the email notification feature does work?

durga8

MelissaTC
11-17-2003, 07:25 PM
I actually bought DS the entertainer by Little Tikes/Graco. It is awesome. DS still plays with it at 16 months because it converts to a toddler toy. One of the best items we purchased for him for sure!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005O61S/qid=1069113866/br=1-6/ref=br_lf_ba_6//002-6469301-1584862?v=glance&s=baby&n=542462