PDA

View Full Version : Dry flaky scalp

nat12
11-09-2003, 03:16 PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post that ds also has what looks like dandruff - is there a gentle shampoo I can use for this? His hair's been thinning but he's got quite a bit of it on top (bad combover, lol) and it gets greasy in a day so I need to wash it regularly. Thanks again.

Natalie
Ethan 6/14/03

pritchettzoo
11-09-2003, 05:18 PM
It might be cradle cap...this link to Dr. Sears' site might be helpful (and the face rash may be related??):
http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/ci9.asp

As far as shampoo goes, a friend of mine swears by the Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap shampoo, which I think is found pretty much everywhere: http://www.gentlenaturals.com/#

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

houseof3boys
11-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Ryan gets that every so often and believe it or not Selsun Blue works. A friends ped told her about it and she gave me a little sample of it to try and it worked like a charm. We used it about once a week when it was flaky/cradle cap on his scalp and it totally took care of it!

nat12
11-10-2003, 02:43 PM
My pedi mentioned Selsun Blue a while back but I always thought it might be a little too harsh. I guess it's ok, though? It's definitely not cradle cap, Ethan had that months ago, this is just dry flakes.

Is Gentle Naturals different from Baby Naturals? I've seen both shampoos recommended. Thanks for your responses.

Natalie

amp
11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
My DS had flaky scalp along with dry, scaly patches on his skin and we ended up finding out he has eczema, which is not uncommon in babies. We got a prescription for Elidel once the ped diagnosed it. At first we thought it was cradle cap, which is also common, so we treated it according to books/online info. Also, my DS used to get the greasy hair, but now this isn't such an issue, so this too shall pass. I'd try cradle cap remedies first and if that doesn't work, ask your ped. Good luck!

houseof3boys
11-10-2003, 09:38 PM
I only use a tiny bit and obviously it's not tear proof, but then even with tear proof shampoo you're careful not to get it in their eyes.

Maybe they have a trial size somewhere so you don't have to buy a big bottle. I hope it works!!!

gamommy2noahnavery
11-11-2003, 08:56 AM
My DD and DS have the same thing. I use Gentle naturals cradle cap stuff then wash with paul mitchell baby don't cry shampoo. I also have her baby hairbrush that I gently attempt to scrape all the dry skin away while she is in the bath. Hth you some!