PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Brown's Bottles vs. Avent

greatmeow
11-11-2003, 11:20 AM
I am trying to get an idea in my mind what I want on my registry. At first I was set on the Avent bottles, but the Dr. Brown's bottles supposedly reduce colic. That is a huge selling point especially with twins on the way.

So what is everyone's opinion on these 2 brands?

Lori
edd 6/8/04

Momof3Labs
11-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Are you planning to 100% bottle feed or breastfeed with some bottles?

In the end, the right answer totally depends on your babies and what they will take. But babies that are bottle fed from day 1 seem to have less of an opinion on which bottle is acceptable - breastfed babies are known for being bottle snobs.

And since it isn't known what causes colic (except perhaps neurological immaturity), I don't know how Dr. Brown's bottles can reduce it. They might reduce bubbles in the tummy, but that's different from colic.

On a side note, would you like some pre-baby reading? I highly recommend Dr. Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block - his tips for soothing newborns are second to none, IMO, and with two, you need all the (useful) tips that you can get! That would be much better colic preparation than registering for certain bottles, IMO!

Congratulations on your twins!!

greatmeow
11-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. I will definately check out that book. I do need all the help I can get...especially with 2 and no family close to help out.

I want to breastfeed, but I had a reduction 4 years ago and I don't know if I will be able. Since my supply might be limited, I am think of rotating the feedings...one on the boob and the other with the bottle... However, I guess we won't know until the babies are born if I can breastfeed.

As for the Dr. B bottles, they have a special design that supposedly helps with air bubbles. I just don't know if I can justify the price over the Avent bottles.

Lori
edd 6/8/04

amyinNC
11-11-2003, 01:28 PM
We LOVE Dr Browns -- definitely reduced gas and fussiness in our little one. He has less gas after drinking from Dr Browns than after breastfeeding . We use the wide mouth - which in my opinion is better for breastfed babies (same idea as the avent bottles). The only thing I don't like is that these bottles don't connect to my pump (either the purely yours or isis) - so I do lots of transfering milk once pumped. Also, you won't be able to connect sippy cup accessories to these -- another downside. But our son was so gassy, it's well worth it.

I found the price to be essentially the same as Avent (don't bother with 4 oz bottles - you'll only need them a short time). I found a 3 pack of 8 oz bottles at kidsurplus.com for something like $13. The starter packs - $14 I think at BRU - (2 8 oz and 1 4 oz) come with all sorts of nipples - so I think it's a better value than the Avent (where you have to buy different size nipples separately.)

I also second the Harvey Karp book! It's shocking how fussy little babies can be during the first 2-3 months. Learn some strategies now, since you won't have time to read next June. We swaddled our son in a miracle blanket and he was so much calmer - slept better too!

HTH,
Amy

stillplayswithbarbies
11-11-2003, 01:40 PM
>I want to breastfeed, but I had a reduction 4 years ago and I
>don't know if I will be able.

You should be able to. Here are some articles about breastfeeding after reduction:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/bfhelp-mother.html#BreastSurgery

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sadie427
11-11-2003, 02:04 PM
My experience--I use the Avent bottles and like them fine. We tried the Dr. Brown's, not because DS was particularly gassy, although he does spit up once or twice a day, but because he was temporarily refusing the bottle so we tried a bunch of different kinds. He took the Dr. Browns bottle ok, but the problem seemed to be actually the milk temperature rather than the nipple or bottle, so he started taking the Avent ones again too. It didn't seem to help with gas, although again that wasn't really our problem. The Dr. Brown's bottle seemed to be a lot of trouble unless your child is unusually gassy--needs to be held at a particular angle, and needs to be cleaned with a special gadget and assembled properly. The 4 oz Avent bottles are a nice size for breast milk storage, and you can get them as milk storage containers w/ plain lids and then get nipples separately. You will also end up with a few Avent bottles if you get an ISIS breastpump or sterilizer, so keep that in mind. DS is only 3 months so I can't speak to how long I'll use 4 oz bottles, but I save breastmilk in 4 oz increments so they are very helpful. HTH

Lenox12
11-11-2003, 04:41 PM
We love the Dr. Brown's Bottles, I pump and use them. I also have some Avent ones, but they leak when I use them.
Ann

peasprout
11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
I've noticed that the Avent bottles get quite a bit of air and foam when you put formula in it,...I usually get at least an inch of it! After 6 months, I wasn't producing enough milk so I had to start using formula and boy, was it annoying! The Dr. Brown's never had that problem and was worth the extra little bit of work to clean. And I dont' think they're that much more expensive either. Hope that helps!

sntm
11-11-2003, 09:50 PM
one of the other advantages of dr. Bs is lower risk of ear infection because the vent prevents buildup of negative pressure. the bottles with the collapsible bags do that also, but don't come in wide mouth which is better for breastfed babies.

i love ours. i think they are worth the cost, but i know lots of people who use avents and love them.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Playtex disposables come in wide mouth with the collapsible bags.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

spencersmommy
11-12-2003, 01:40 AM
We registered for Avent bottles, but DS doesn't like them. We also had some Dr. Brown's, but he didn't like those either. We ended up using Gerber nipples/bottles (maybe b/c it's close to his Nuk nipple). Now we have a lot of Avent bottles in the cupboard, so hopefully he'll take them when he's older. So my advice is to not register for just one type, you may have to try several brands. Also, most of the babies I know don't like Avent. Only one, the other babies all like Dr. Brown's. Good luck with the twins! The Harvey Karp book is great!! Read it before the babies come! :-)
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

lmariana
11-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Since your registring for stuff, I'd throw some of each bottle on there so you can try them out and see which works best for you and your babies! Everyone is so individual, you'll find one that's right for you.

Here's my experience:
I started with about 10 Avent 4 oz and a three of the 9 oz. I ended up using the 9 oz size to mix a larger quantity of formula to have stored and ready in the fridge, and then I'd pour about 2 oz. in the 4 oz size for each feeding. (The 9 oz size comes with a #2 nipple, which is too fast for newborns.) I'd go through all of them in about a day's time. (Babies eat every 2-3 hours, and once they start on a bottle, you can't reuse the formula, so we put small quantities in a small bottle to reduce waste.)

I tried out the Dr. Browns and loved them! However, now that he's taking about 6 oz. per feeding, I just can't keep up with the cleaing of the Dr. Brown's. There are a couple parts inside the bottle that you have to clean by hand with a little bristle brush. I couldn't imagine having to double the cleaning time with twins! My son never had a problem with colic, so I didn't really notice a difference with the Dr. B's. Not all babies get colic, and even if they do, sometimes the bottle brand won't make a difference.

Now, I've switched to the ultra-sheap Evenflo bottles with silicone nipples. They are about $3.00 for a three-pack. I bought a lot so I don't have to wash bottles everyday, I just rinse and toss them in the d-washer. These are my favorite so far.

MY SUMMARY:
Pro for Avent: Wide mouth for easy formula mixing and cleaning. Nice nipple and cap assembly.
Con for Avent: Leaking! We had very bad leaking problems until we figured out the just-right-way of putting the ring on. Expensive bottles, caps, and nipple upgrades. Nipples and rings won't fit Enfamil nursettes.

Pro for Dr. Brown: No nipple suctioning, reduced air intake, good for newborns because of air gulping.
Con for Dr. Brown: a pain to clean, expensive, too tall for most bottle carriers, narrow neck, can't mix formula in them, hard to find. Nipples and rings won't fit Enfamil nursettes.

My choice:
Evenflo: Cheap, cheap, cheap so you can buy a lot of them, good construction, no leaks, cheap travel disks and nipple upgrades, rings fit Enfamil nursette bottles.

Best wishes,
Mariana
Mother of Gabe, 13 weeks old

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1277.jpg

lmariana
11-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Hi! I just read about your reduction, and I had to write you because I had one too! Okay, I am a total optimist, but this is the hard truth about breastfeeding with a reduction.

TOP TEN TIPS FOR BREASTFEEDING AFTER A REDUCTION:
1. If you have flat nipples (ask your doctor) get on Medela's website and order the "Soft Shells for Inverted Nipples". Start wearing them as much as you can now, and all the time your last month, to bring your nipples out and easier for the babies to grab.

2. Start breast-pump shopping. You'll need a high-end one like Medela's Lactina. I'd recommend renting it from your hospital first before shelling out the BIG bucks for it, unless you have a generous benefactor who will buy you one! But don't register for the cheaper ones, they just don't cut it for reductions. The only one BRU carries that's close to good for us is the Pump In Style by Medela. (I got a new one on Ebay for $180!)

3. Take a breastfeeding class with your husband. You will need all the info and support you can get. Let the instructor know that you've had a reduction and are expecting twins.

4. If you are having a c-section, and your husband has vacation time, ask him to take AT LEAST two weeks off. I would have liked mine to take 3 weeks, and we only had one baby! I wasn't planning on a c-section, and I totally underestimated my need for help because I'm stubborn and independent.

5. When you arrive at the hospital for your birth (you'll probably have a cesarean with twins right?) immediately put in a request for a lactation consultant and a breast pump (if you didn't bring your own). The sooner you can meet with a LC after the birth, the better! (It took 4 days for me to see one!!!)

6. Be VERY clear with your doctor that you want to nurse as soon as you can after the birth. I wasn't. I didn't even get to see my son until 4 hours later!! If you can't nurse immediately, start pumping! You probably won't get anything out, but the stimulation is SO important.

7. Say thanks, but no thanks to visitors. If you have a c-section, remember that it is considered major surgery. Since you're having to feed every two hours, there's a very small window of time where you won't have a boob out. Set aside a couple hours during 1 day of your stay where you welcome visitors. I had people visiting at very unwelcome moments. (Of course my family is also stubborn and independent and didn't feel the need to call first.) There will be plenty of happy visiting time soon enough...

8. Stay in the hospital as long as you can! I was afraid of the hospital, but it was awesome! It was like staying in a hotel only they brought you food and gave you pain medication... The long stay was great, because I had all the resources from the staff to help with breastfeeding, and I got to heal a little longer.

9. Totally stock your kitchen with as much food and premade meals as you can! When it's time to feed or pump, the last thing you want to deal with is trying to find something to snack on. I had ziploc bags with fruit and veggies in the fridge so I could grab one and go feed.

10. Get ready for a challenge. It's totally doable, but get yourself prepared!

Here's the schedule my Lactation Consultant gave me:
1. Before a feeding, pump each breast for 5 minutes
2. Feed on each breast for at least 20 minutes
3. After feeding, pump each breast for 15 minutes.
4. Feed no less than every two hours (even at night)

If you do the math, you'll see that each feeding will last you 40-90 minutes. Which leaves, 30-80 minutes to sleep/eat/bathe inbetween feedings. Not easy! But with a strong will and good support, anything is possible! (Especially with the percocet you get for having a c-section!)

You really can't risk alternating bottle and breast between feedings because of your already compromised milk supply. But if you do want a break, try pumping while your hubby handles a feeding. It's just so important to pump as often as you can. This will stimulate your milk and hopefully increase your production!

A side note about the c-section, if you have to have one, getting out of bed is hard, going up stairs doesn't feel hard but it's very bad for you. Plan on staying on one floor for at least 2-4 weeks (my doc said 6 weeks).

If you want more details or anything please email me! I learned a lot about breast-feeding with a breast reduction through my mistakes! I didn't stick to the schedule and didn't pump enough, so my supply died out in 3 weeks. Formula feeding has been fine, but I really wanted to breast feed, I just wasn't prepared for the commitment I would have to make.

Best wishes!
Mariana
Mother of Gabe, 13 weeks old
[email protected]
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1277.jpg

brittone2
11-12-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm due in February, and this is our first, so I don't have any experience with this yet personally. After reading quite a bit on here and other boards, what I did with my registry was to just pick out a few "single" bottles for the baby to try.

I think I registered for 2 Dr. Browns, 2 Avent, and a Playtex Ventaire starter kit (I believe 2 large and one small bottle). I figure that way, we have a variety lined up and ready to go...hopefully one will eventually please the baby. If we start w/ Dr. Browns and that works for the baby, I suppose BRU would take the unopened ones back and we could get a refund on the ones we aren't using. Then again, I'm sure the LAST bottle we try will be the one the baby likes;)

I do plan to BF, but will express some milk for bottles for an occasional night out w/ DH, etc. down the road hopefully. After the first 6 weeks or so I may attempt to have the baby take one bottle per day so DH can feed and I can get a little break. I think I maybe should hide the bottles at my mom's house so that we are tempted to dive into them when the BFing is difficult initially:)

Good luck! Just thought I'd share what I decided to do.

Beth

Momof3Labs
11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Babies' preferences vary a lot - all the babies in our playgroup (primarily bf'd babies, I'll add) take Avent bottles!

jennifer13
11-12-2003, 05:03 PM
You've gotten great advice in the other posts. Just wanted to add that you might not want to spend too much $$ on any until you see which the twins prefer. As another post said, maybe you can register for a few different sets. I have had a horrible time with the Avent bottles leaking. We've had great luck with Dr. Browns, I think the vent thing really does work well to reduce gas. You might also consider Playtex disposables because the other good thing about disposable bags is that it's less cleaning.

Best of luck to you with your twins!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

Cyn
11-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Lori -

My dd has GERD (reflux). Had I known about Dr. Brown's 4 months ago, my house would be full of these bottles! I was using, and like Avent, but for the reflux situation Dr. Brown's is the best for us! Our vomiting and troubling burping has done a complete turn around. Also, Tabitha was not taking her full feedings with the Avent bottles, but with the Dr. Brown's bottles, she is finishing every feeding! I do agree with some others and say register for some of both (they both have starter sets) and see what your babies like best. Just know that Dr. Brown's does have a wide mouth version that is much like Avent.

God bless you!

Cyn