PDA

View Full Version : Symphony In Motion mobile

jlriveau
11-13-2003, 09:17 PM
I've noticed that in your corrections section for the 5th edition, you have added the Symphony in Motion mobile as recommended. I was seriously considering purchasing one, until i went on to Babies 'R' Us website and saw that most of the reviews stated that it didn't work for long, or that there were many returns until the buyers just gave up. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this product? Do you still feel strongly about recommending it? I understand that every product has its problems. Just wanted to know your thoughts on this issue.

P.S. Your book has been a life saver for me! Keep up the good work!

thanks.

kaitlinsmommy
11-14-2003, 01:12 AM
I don't know if you are waiting for a response from Alan & Denise but wanted to say that dd LOVED the Symphony in Motion mobile & we're definitely saving ours for baby #2. I have friends whose babies also love it. I also read some of the negative reviews but got it anyway. Granted, dd didn't sleep in her crib a ton much the first 4 months, but I only replaced the batteries once. There is a whirring noise when the mobile moves but it didn't bother our baby.

I think it's a great mobile. Good luck making your decision.

bnme
11-14-2003, 07:45 AM
I also loved my mobile, as did DS. (hes 10 months and the mobile has been out of his crib for a while now).

The button to turn it on did stick and it became extremely hard to turn on. It actually stopped working entirely and I've been meaning to email the company to complain. Their customer service was very good. I had emailed them before about the whirring noise, I think I read about it here. They sent a replacement part that supposedly fixed the problem but it seemed the same to me. It didn't bother me anyway but becuase I read about the replacement part I asked for it.

votre_ami03
11-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Ditto, my son loves his mobile & I would buy it again. He laughs & smiles at it. I started using the mobile when Nolan was 1 mo & at almost 4 mos the batteries have finally croaked. I went for the option w/out the remote.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

flagger
11-14-2003, 12:32 PM
I love ours. We got the one with the remote and haven't used the remote once. LOL She loved looking at it right from the beginning. It does make noise as it moves for the motor to turn the mobile and as the pieces slide along the mobile itself.

We have been through two battery changes now and it still works great. The music and the mobile slows down when the batteries are wearing down. We use it everyday for at least 15 minutes.

deborah_r
11-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Ditto...love it! Have had no quality issues with mine whatsoever.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-14-2003, 04:16 PM
I don't think I have ever read a bad review of it on these boards. We love ours!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jmofarrill
11-14-2003, 06:53 PM
We had this, too. Anwyn seemed to like it when it was working. The motor stopped abou 4 weeks into using it. I had thrown away the box and receipt, so I didn't return it. I was disappointed that it didn't work longer.

jlriveau
11-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Just wanted to thank all of you for responding so quickly. It really helped!

Thanks again!

:)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-14-2003, 09:31 PM
you should have called Tiny Love, they would have replaced it for you. You still can, just in case you wanted to keep it for another baby.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

parkersmama
11-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Just another vote in favor! That thing was my number one best baby item for the first 3 months!! It was just about the only way I ever got a shower!

We have one (with remote) that we borrowed from a friend. It works well but has started eating batteries for some reason. We have used the remote *some*. I found that I'd forget to turn it to the remote switch and then not be able to use the remote when I needed it. Ugh.

wendmatt
11-16-2003, 12:36 AM
We had it and dd loved it...it was a life save, gave me time to have a shower each morning. We didn't have any probs with it at all and the music section is still in dds crib and she turns it on often.

Marisa6826
11-16-2003, 01:19 AM
We have it and love it. However, be warned that it eats batteries BIG TIME (as in - go and get the gianormo size pack of AAs from Costco!!).

-m

zen_bliss
11-16-2003, 03:48 AM
no quality problems here, but she's *still* afraid of it. it has made her cry every time! i think we're the only report of a baby not liking it i've seen.

jmofarrill
11-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Karen - that's a great idea; I'll call the company this week!

egoldber
11-16-2003, 02:09 PM
We didn't have this one, but I think that Sarah would also not have liked it. It looks VERY overwhelming to me with all those things hanging down! Ours was very simple and didn't play music, but I still removed half the toys from it because too many toys dismayed her. Some babes get more easily overstimulated.

Can you take some of the toys off and see if she likes it better that way?

JillMelissa
11-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh my gosh, this was absolutely the worst product I've purchased for DD... she was lying in her crib, happily looking up at it, and the entire toy arm detached and FELL ON HER FACE. I couldn't believe it! I put it back together (being careful to push in that little button while I screwed it together), and two days later it fell on her again. (She wasn't hurt, thank goodness, just frightened!) Obviously I don't recommend this mobile to anyone, after that scary experience!

nathansmom
11-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Call their customer service and tell them what happened. The same thing happened to us although the baby wasn't in the bed. They will send you a replacement promptly. With the replacement I've never had a problem.

cchavez
11-17-2003, 10:29 AM
We have it but did not get much use from it. DS never really took to it....he was very fussy and it only calmed him down and entertained him a few times. MAybe baby #2 will like it better????

kransden
11-17-2003, 12:28 PM
dd loves it so much that we have it attached to the changing table now. That way she can kick it on and off during the diaper change. BTW the mobile isn't over her to grab, it rotates over the floor. It was the only thing that let me shower in the morning.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

cuca_
11-18-2003, 08:15 AM
We have this and dd loves it. We had the same problem as Jill did and called Tiny Love and they promptly sent us a new part (the arms with the animals). Their Customer Service is great, and we have had no problems with it since we replaced the defective part.

LittlePrince_Mom
11-18-2003, 03:44 PM
We have it and love it! It holds Tom's attention more than anything else, sometimes I can get a quiet 1/2 hour !!!!$&#%(!~. He smiles at more than at me, LOL. He's loved it from the beginning and never seemed overwhelmed like others have suggested. Since the animals are at different heights, at a very young age when they might be overwhelmed, their eyesight is such that only one animal is in focus at a time. We got the one with the remote because we found it more aesthetically pleasing, we don't use the remote feature. I would definitely purchase it again, and am keeping this one for #2. Oh, mine never ate batteries. HTH.

-E