PDA

View Full Version : Plastic vs. wood: electronic toys questions and age appropriateness

caroline9
11-20-2003, 02:08 AM
I recently went to TRU and purchased a slew of toys for my now 6 month old daughter for Christmas. Trouble is, I'd like to get her mostly wooden toys but I am not sure she is ready for them yet. For some reason I am just turned off by electronic toys, I am not sure why, I jsut feel like they leave nothing to the imagination. Some of them seem fun though! I did get her the target parents wagon and playground for when she is older, but for now I bought her a stand up ball blast and an discover sounds kitchen. I'd like to get her a nice, wooden kitchen, but at 7 1/2 months I don't think it would be an age appropriate Christmas gift.

Can anyone tell me if the discoversounds kitchen is a piece of junk, and if I should just hold out an buy a wooden kitchen wkhen she is older? Or is it worth getting a small plastic kitchen now and replacing it with a nice wooden one later? I'll probably keep the ball blast for now since it was mismarked and I got it for 8.99, but I am not sure what to do about any other/future electronic toys.

She has a ton of whoozit stuff she is getting, and I could buy her the lamaze fish bowl, so that would be plenty!

TIA for any opinions on wood vs. plastic/age appropriate toys!

egoldber
11-20-2003, 07:47 AM
Well, in general, I am with you on preferring wood toys to plastic ones that make a lot of noise. But for large toys, it can be very convenient to get them in plastic because they can be heavy to move around otherwise.

The Discover SOunds Kitchen is liked by almost every baby I know. Its a nice toy. The Ball Blast, while also well liked by kids, can be used as a step stool to climb on counters and plays some very annoying music. Make sure you don't mind that music.

HTH,

caroline9
11-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks Beth.

I am just woried that a.) I won't be stimuating her imagination and b.) The music will drive me nuts. THe kitchen sounds are probably OK, but I did not know if she was capable of playing with a big kitchen soon, in which case I would hold out and return the plastic one. Not sure what to do, DH wants me to return both of them b/c he fears she will become dependent upon all the elctronic stimulation!

I love wooden toys, but I think that some of the elcetronic ones are kind of fun. Just don't want to overwhelm her!

egoldber
11-20-2003, 11:16 AM
A big kitchen is more appropriate for kids 2 and up. The Discover SOunds one is great for the younger set. I wish I had gotten one for Sarah when she was younger. We don't have a lot of electronic type toys that noise, just a few (mainly gifts). Those type toys are not necessary in any way. But some are nice, well designed and great fun.

suribear
11-22-2003, 04:51 PM
the discover sounds kitchen doesn't do much. you could just get a plastic cookware set and wait for a better kitchen wnen she is two. we have the step 2 kitchen for two.

I'm not fond of electronic toys b/c, as you said, they leave little to the imagination. I do, however, love plastic toys by step 2 and little tikes. those things last!!

I also love little people sets, which are plastic, though I purposely avoided the electronic versions.

Kris

lisams
11-22-2003, 05:27 PM
DD is one, and she has enjoyed the discoversounds kitchen for a few months already (I think we got it at 9 months). It only makes bubbling /crackling sounds when a pot is put on the stove (and the knob makes a ding-ding sound when it's turned). I thinks it's a great starter kitchen. As far as imaginary play, I think that starts a little later. She bangs the pots together, puts the shapes in the sorter, opens and closes the doors, puts things in and out of the refrigerator, turns the knob and so on. It's great for things that involve hand eye cordination and small motor skills. I will be getting her a wooden kitchen when she is older (probably 3 or 4) when I won't need to worry (as much) about her trying to crawl on it, gnaw on it, or hurt herself on corners. I really like the wooden kitchen sets so much more than the plastic ones.

Lisa

LisaMom2Allie
11-22-2003, 06:15 PM
I got DD the Disc. Sounds Kitchen at TRU when Little Tikes was BOGOF and I also got the Discovery Workbench. She really likes to 'play' with the kitchen. She opens and closes the ref door and likes to bite on it. It is small and she will pull it over sometimes and beats on the back like a drum. I will buy her a big kitchen when she is older. I like wooden toys also but since she chews on everything I wonder about her gnawing on the painted wood. The plastic is very easy to wash and keep clean.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03