PDA

View Full Version : Best gate for walls that don't line up???

hellokitty
11-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Our house is weird, I am convinced the builder was smoking something when he built it, b/c it looks like he eyeballed a lot of measurements, b/c a lot of things do not line up in our house. Anyways, the walls at the TOP of the stairs do NOT match up, it is hard to describe, one side is too short, so the stair kind of sticks out partially into the upstairs hallway. So, if we mounted a safety gate, there would be a huge gap where you'd have to lean over to open it, and a crack big enough that baby could probably get his legs stuck underneath the gate. Does that make sense? Anyone else been in this situation, and been able to work around it w/o having to re-build one of the stairwalls (it's all drywall)? If we are unable to do anything, DH said he was just going to mount a gate in the hallway BEFORE baby gets to stairs, but what stinks is that our master bdrm is on the opp side of the stairs. TIA!

MinnieMouse
11-23-2003, 09:18 AM
We actually are renting our house and it's an old rowhouse with all PLASTER bearing walls. The entire wall along the stairway is plaster so any gate we would mount would damage the wall horribly. So we ended up putting a step through pressure gate in the hallway (we have the First Years one).

It really hasn't been that bad. The step gate is really easy to use and works great with the pedal so it's hands free.

I would use a pass through gate in the hall before remodeling my house. You won't need the gate for all that long in the greater scheme of things.

HTH

Christine

hellokitty
11-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I think that is our only option w/o doing damage or making the stairway look hokey.