PDA

View Full Version : Why wood?

jennifer13
11-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Ok, I just have to ask. Why the preference for wood toys? My dd is only 6 months so I'm just starting to look into toys, and I had never even thought about the difference. The threads here have been so interesting! We got some HABA toys as gifts, and they are very nice (she's too young for them still). Just wondering what the advantages to wood are. I assume toxicity with plastic, less electronic gadgets? Thanks!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

bluej
11-25-2003, 03:35 PM
I think it's a personal preference thing. I like the simplicity. I can't stand for every single toy to make some sort of obnoxious noise. Wood also has more lasting power. And somehow a room full of wood toys all over the place looks somewhat cleaner than a room full of bright plastic toys.

McQ
11-25-2003, 09:16 PM
We have both kinds. I do like the look of the wood toys better. But there are two electronic ones that are great and Declan just loves them (Sing with me Magic Cube and the LeapStart Learning Table). I just test drive the music/noises first to make sure I can stand to hear it.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

Kate888
11-26-2003, 12:55 PM
I never really paid attention to wood toys until I had DD :) Now after 21 months, I really prefer wood over plastic. They age beautifully! Plastic toys tend to look old and "used" quickly. I just visited a preschool yesterday, some of their wood toys are 20-30 years old, but still look very nice! But plastic toys have their advantage. We buy plastic if the toy needs to be washed frequently, such as pretend food and cookware :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

nohomama
11-26-2003, 07:31 PM
As Jen said, it's a completely personal thing. I love the look of wood toys and their durability. Lola is playing with several wooden toys that were mine when I was little as well as a few that were my father's and are at least 55 years old.

pamela mom of 3
11-26-2003, 09:33 PM
I agree i think some of it does in fact fall under "personal choice" however i have also noticed over the years{eldest is 8 in Mar} that all the plastic toys seem to making more and more noise.....if i want something quiet i need to go another route which seems to be wood....

Plastic isn't all bad..again it just falls down to more the basic design of the toy. I don't even mind some toys that make noise..ie:leap pad, fire truck...but spare me from just plain noisey toys with no real sense of purpose other than to dry me batty with loud sounds lol :o

In general too while i think of it...wood has a warm feel too it, well imo, the furniture made in wood is always nice to touch and just gives an overall comfy feel to a room. ;)

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3