PDA

View Full Version : Bath Seats - something for bathing a 6 mo old

Jen in Chicago
12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Jude just wants to sit up now, and can't do so well in his fold up tub. He is loving splashing away now. At Grandma's we sat him in the tub, but it was a 2 person job. I remember when I babysat in highschool there being seat things for bathing. Are they still out there? Any recommendations? I want him to be pretty free to splash, but not to fall and hit his head. I was thinking of checking out Sears over lunch for something, but thought I would ask for recommendations first.

kristine_elen
12-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Someone gave us one of these bath seats (see link) and it's pretty neat. I've also seen them a lot at consignment stores for cheap. Adding: (Actually, we don't use it anymore, although it worked fine, and instead opted for one of those inflatable tubs that you just set inside the regular bathtub. However, your baby can still slide forward/back in the inflatable tub and get submerged easily, which has happened to us a few times. Of course, I was right there so it wasn't a huge deal, but it can be shocking for the baby.)
http://www.bcfdirect.com/IWStoreBCF.process?Merchant_Id=1&proc=IWCatProductPage&Section_Id=9613&pcount=&pn=1&Product_Id=170964

MelissaTC
12-01-2003, 12:13 PM
I tried the swivel seat with my DS but it didn't work out for us. He was too thin and he would get caught in the openings. He screamed in it and that was the end of that. I just sat him up in the tub, supporting him with my arms.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-01-2003, 02:07 PM
One of the absolute best purchases I have ever made is that seat!!!! Tristan has been in it fora bout 2 months and it allows me to bathe in the tub hands free of holding him up!!! We love it!!!

I do see them for $1 at about every thrift store I go into...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
12-01-2003, 02:22 PM
This happened to us and I just used one of those sponge bath inserts in the seat. It provided support behind her and kept her from slipping.

HTH,

Andrea S
12-02-2003, 09:18 AM
I used one of those blow up tubs inside the big tub and Andrew would sit in it and he could lean against the back.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

C99
12-03-2003, 01:05 AM
We used one of those bath seats as well. It worked well from about 5-9 months, but stopped working once he began pulling up. They are really cheap, about $10 or so.

vikivoly
12-06-2003, 03:02 AM
I don't like the bath seat. It's too hard to wash their bottoms. I have a blow up tub. DD is now 1 year and I still use it. She has more freedom to move around and play in the tub without slipping.

MinnieMouse
12-06-2003, 09:14 AM
We had and infant tub for dd that we used for a couple months and then we switched to the "big" bathtub. We didn't use anything in it....I got in with dd and held her while I washed her. It was SOOOO much easier than putting her in some kind of contraption which she really wouldn't have dealt with well....she hated...and still does...being confined.

Plus I think she liked being able to "swim" in the bathtub with mommy!

Christine

jd11365
12-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Two reasons why don't like my swivel seat...

1. hard to was their bottoms...you have to pick them up to do it and their little legs get caught in the leg holes...

2. You have to fill up your bathtub to use it, which IMOH is a waste of water and $. They only need a little water in a baby bathtub as compared to filling up the tub even 1/8 of the way.

We use the Primo Eurobath and love it. We hated it when she was a little infant, but now that she can sit up, it's great. It holds her well to sit up and there is plenty of room for her to play with her toys and splash around. We use the toddler side.

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

sweetbasil
12-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Another inflatable bathtub household here- DS#1 used it, I stored it away, and now DS#2 (almost 6 mo) is using it. It requires me to be right there with him, but since it's bathtime, I would be anyway :)

DS loves splashing his legs in there, the freedom he has, and I love that it takes just a little bit of water. As someone else mentioned, the ease of transitioning to the big bathtub later (as we did with DS#1) was really simple, too. Oh, and it's soooo great tgo take along when traveling!

I've seen different brands of inflatable bathtubs at Baby Depot, BRU, TJ Maxx (for cheap!), Target, and Zainy Brainy recently.

HTH,

Sarah1
12-07-2003, 09:02 PM
We've used the Snug Tub Deluxe since Audrey starting sitting up. NO complaints...it's been fabulous.

annex
12-08-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm in a similar situation with a 8 month-old baby that wants to sit up and splash - my Safer Bather (essentially a piece of foam to cradle a lying baby in a tub) just doesn't work well anymore for that. I have a teeny, tiny bathroom and don't want something that is rigid plastic. I was thinking about an inflatable tub, but I would think it would be a pain to inflate/deflate. I wouldn't want to leave it sitting in the tub because of mildew issues - do any of the inflatables have a hook or way to hang them from a shower head, for example? Does anyone use the Safer Bather manufacturer's "Bath N Bumper", which looks similar to an inflatable but does hang up for drying? See
http://store.yahoo.com/leachco/bathing-accessories.html

Anne

khakismom
12-08-2003, 02:47 PM
We have the BRU inflatable tub and it's wonderful! And yes, it does have a ring at the top so you can hook it on to something to dry it off. We used this with Kathleen and are now using it with Ellen. We never deflated it unless we were traveling somewhere, but would hang it to dry from the shower hook. I think most of them are equipped with this ring to hang them. :)