PDA

View Full Version : US News -- smart toys not so smart?

kristine_elen
12-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Today's parents are trying to do it right: Mozart for the baby in utero, educational toys for the toddler, spelling software for the aspiring kindergartner. Modern American parenting has become an expensive and often exhausting investment in a stellar future.
"Everybody wants to have a kid that no employer will ever let go and no college will ever say no to," says Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, director of the Infant Language Project at the University of Delaware. The problem, she says, is that we are really working against these goals. In the recently published book Einstein Never Used Flash Cards (Rodale, $22.95), Golinkoff and coauthor Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, director of the Infant Language Laboratory at Temple University, make the case for a simpler approach.
(see link for full article...)

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/031208/misc/8einstein.htm

flagger
12-02-2003, 09:00 PM
I found this quote to be right on:

We're developing a generation of kids whose favorite words are, "I'm bored." They don't know how to be independent.

I love that Cocoa has played by herself since she was a newborn. Giving her time alone to discover has been extremely beneficial.

C99
12-03-2003, 12:42 AM
I actually totally agree with that as well. Nate's favorite playthings are the ad section of the Sunday paper and a water bottle.

jmofarrill
12-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Honestly, the "I'm bored" statement has been around a long time; it isn't exclusive to this generation. The one thing I *never* said to Mom was "I'm bored" because I knew better! How many of us know to avoid this routine:

Kid: "I'm bored, Mom."
Mom: "I have lots of things you can do if you're bored! You can clean your room, dust, do the dishes, pick up the living room, etc."
Kid: "Um, no thanks. I think I'll ______ instead." (fill in the blank: go outside, call a friend, find something, ANYTHING, rather than do house chores!)