PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Blocks @ Target

jd11365
12-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Why do the wooden blocks at Target say ages 3+? It says small parts choking hazard or something...I don't see how they could be a hazard. They are the ones that have letters on them...like we had as kids. Any thoughts?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

flagger
12-02-2003, 08:53 PM
If they do not fit through a toilet paper roll, then we consider them safe for Cocoa to play with. Are there any parts that come in the set that could meet this criteria?

ddmarsh
12-02-2003, 08:57 PM
From what I have read in general toy "age" guidelines are much for the safety purposes rather than developmental so it seems like there would be some reason. Like you though, I can't imagine what it could be. Are the letters themselves a separate part from the block - perhaps not actually cut out of the block? Or maybe the paint?

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Jamie,
I wonder this on so many toys...seems a "catch all" is to say that they are meant for 3 years and up. I wonder if it is something so little as a child falling on it (losing balance) and getting hurt where they can say "we told you ..."...

With that said, I have a huge basket of wooden blocks of all shapes and sizes and T goes straight to them to play with...their container said "3 years and up"...but I personally use them...

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Honestly, I have given Sarah lots of toys that say for ages 3 and up. If there are obvious small parts that are choking hazards, I just take those parts away and put them away for later. But sometimes, I just scratch my head as to why something is labeled for 3+. You need to use your best judgment.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
12-02-2003, 10:53 PM
I think it is because the paint could flake off if they chew on them, so they put an age at which children have stopped teething on toys.

I gave Logan a Melissa And Doug wooden puzzle, the big shapes, and she chewed on them and the paper on them started to come off. So I put them up until she is closer to the right age.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jd11365
12-02-2003, 10:58 PM
I'm going to get them...the size seems safe...hopefully she will not eat the paint off...but I can't imagine it could be that dangerous... Thanks for the help!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03