PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Bath Toys for 16 Month Old

zuzu
12-08-2003, 09:33 AM
My SIL requested that we get bath toys that "do things" for our 16 month old nephew. I guess that means she wants tub toys that do something other than float. I found a few boats and fish that can be wound up and made to scoot through the water, but haven't seen anything else that would fit this decription (tried TRU, buybuyBaby, Imaginarium, Zany Brainy,and Target). I did see fishing-type games with a pole and/or net, but DH doesn't think those would be active enough for her tastes, so I'm really at a loss.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

TIA,
melissa

cdlamis
12-08-2003, 10:37 AM
We don't have any toys in the bath that wind up since Julia loses interest in them so fast- just my opinion though. At this age they seem to like toys that they can play wth on their own.
We have bath books (a must for us), stacking cups (she LOVES to fill them with water, dump out, etc), boats that link together. I have seen the foam alphabet letters that stick to the tub walls. They are made for 3 and up but I may get them and just watch very carefully.
HTH-
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

redhookmom
12-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Hearthsong.com has a few interesting bath toys.

kymama
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
I got DD the Bathtime Shower from www.mastermindtoys.com. A shower sticks to the side of the tub, a hose goes into the water, baby pushes a button and water comes out of the showerhead. Can't tell you how well it works, though, since it's a Christmas gift.

Dana

zuzu
12-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll check out Hearthsong site & the Bathtime Shower.

Daniella, I agree with you, and think the simpler toys would be good, and like those myself, but have been told that SIL prefers toys that move on their own or emit sounds or light. I've also been told she returns the gifts we get her if they aren't precisely what she has specified, so I thought I'd at least *try* to get something she might want to keep. I don't know our nephew well enough to know what he prefers, so we just go with what his mom tells us she wants. (I've tried going the route of buying beautifully hand crafted wooden toys, or neat things that may not be found at BRU, but I know that upsets her because she can't get a refund.) Sorry, got a bit off topic there. I'm going to keep your ideas in mind for my daughter, who at seven months loves her tubby time and is just starting to enjoy playing with toys in there too.

Thanks again,
melissa

pritchettzoo
12-08-2003, 05:17 PM
I saw these in Parents magazine (I think), and they look really cute. The hippos spin and swim, so I guess that qualifies as "doing something." Good luck with your picky SIL! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000098XFZ/104-6354286-1603943?v=glance

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

zuzu
12-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks Anna. I really like the fun hippos!

I guess I should have saved my gripe about SIL for the bitching forum. I must admit I am also quite picky about our daughter's toys, clothes, etc. but try not to inflict that on those wanting to buy things for her.

melissa

shishamo
12-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi,

I have this toy and my 20 months old likes it. It was a gift. I think this would be perfect for your nephew.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/creativetoy/tomwatsym.html

It makes a sound if you push it below the water. On the other hand, she likes her cheapy stacking cups at least as much, if not more :)

Sara

zuzu
12-11-2003, 03:45 PM
This looks like a fun one.
Thanks for the suggestion!

melissa

jojo2324
12-11-2003, 07:22 PM
I always use old YoBaby containers and applesauce containers. He just likes to dump water every where. What about those Alex crayons? They're for ages 2+, but Gannon's been using them for a few months now. We had a small problem with him sticking them in his mouth and chomping down, but he's gotten over it.

Melissa, please check your email!!

zuzu
12-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks Joanne! I'll check out the crayons, and I'm still making it through my email.
melissa