PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Pail Search for Older Babies...do they ALL stink???

mattiew
12-09-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm afraid I may soon become a collector of diaper pails....I know I should expect some smell but so far I am not having much luck with diaper pails. We had the Safety First Odorless pail first which was ok; when DD started on solids and became more potent I decided we needed a new pail so on to the Diaper Champ. I HATE the Diaper Champ, it smells terrible, you can't tell when it is full until it is too late, it is hard to open, and I could go on and on. Does anyone with a baby on solids have a pail that is tolerable??? DD is now 1.

Thanks!
Carrie

Piglet
12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
We have had a Diaper Genie since day 1 and haven't had a single problem. They make toddler refills for it that are even better at masking the odor than the regular ones. Granted DS currently poops on the potty 95% of the time (pees in the diaper, so don't think he's trained or anything, LOL), but when we needed to dispose the diapers in the Genie, we never had problems either.

Another suggestion that I took from the cloth diapering world is to shake off as much of the poop in the toilet and flush away. We even had a ritual with DS where we would say "bye-bye poopy" and flush together - it definetly reinforced that poops go in the toilet, which helped to get him pooping on the toilet now. Definietly minimizes the smell.

22tango
12-09-2003, 02:22 PM
I have the Dekor and LOVE IT!! I do admit to overfilling it, though, which means I have to lift the top up to put another diaper in instead of pushing it through the hole (hard to explain but if you saw one IRL you'd know what I mean). When I do that, I get a whiff of smelly diapers...but otherwise, not. So I guess I'm saying that if I never let it get beyond full there's no problem. I'm just too lazy to empty it sometimes! LOL!! I find that each of the refills (you buy them in packs of 3) lasts about 2+ months, and they are scented so that helps as well. HTH

etwahl
12-09-2003, 02:45 PM
our diaper dekor unfortunately doesn't contain the smell AT ALL! i hate it in fact. i'm trying to decide what to do about our stinky diapers. marina's idea above is pretty good (dumping poop in the toilet) as long as they are easily dumpable...but just a bit of extra work. i don't wish to buy another diaper pail, because i don't have a lot of faith in them now!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

khakismom
12-09-2003, 03:43 PM
I have tried the Champ and Genie and both stink IMHO! (Pardon the pun :)) We had to abandon both at trash dumpsters because the smell was killing us. We now use the Safety 1st pail (I think; it was purchased when Ellen was born) and it's pretty good. After trying all these pails, I came to the realization that these are diaper receptacles, not magic trash bins. The simple truth is that if you put stinky stuff in them, they *will* stink.

To prevent too much odor, we empty ours much more frequently and we use a diaper pail odor disc plus a stick-up type thing in the pail. For the bags we use the Glad bags that have the nice smells to them. This system works pretty good for us. :) HTH

heidi_timms
12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
I have the Genie and it contains the smell as long as I don't open the lid. When I do, wheeew!!! Since solids, it hasn't been the same, but I do like the convenience of having a place to put diapers vs. taking them all out to the trash can daily.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mattysmom
12-10-2003, 10:10 AM
we also have the dekor and never notice a smell. i do "wrap" each diaper - sort of roll it up from front to back and then use the tabs to make it close to air tight. this seems to help a lot - instead of just dumping it in loosely.

emmiem
12-10-2003, 11:32 AM
I agree. It smell only until you open it or empty it but then the odor stays around. I empty mine about every 4 days and clean the inside with Murphy's soap or Top Job. No matter it still stinks. I am actually on my second diaper genie because I couldn't stand it any more. That's why they are so cheap compared to the refills. I am seriously thinking of just using my regular trash can since we empty it daily anyway.
Emmie

daisymommy
12-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Let me preface this by saying we use the Diaper Champ. But here are some other things we do to help keep the stinkys at bay:

1) Use Glad Odor Shield trash bags to line it with.

2) Us Sassy blue disposable diaper sacks for the poopy diapers, then drop them in a small trash can outside my back door. Thats right. I don't keep any poopy diapers indoors! My back porch is right off the living room, so I keep a small flip top trash can right outside the door (where it can't be seen from inside). I put only dirty diapers out there. I can never smell anything from our indoor Diaper Champ this way!

3) I have started switching over from disposables to cloth, and when using cloth, plop solid poopy into the toilet to flush away. 3 days of cloth diapers later, and I still can't smell anything! I think this is the way to go no matter what type of diapers you are using.

KimberleyDawn
12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
We have the DG and I'm so disgusted with it that I'm bring it back to BRU for a store credit....even though it's 9 months old!!!
Kim

MinnieMouse
12-10-2003, 12:26 PM
We have a Diaper Champ as well as a Fisher Price diaper pail. Dd is 2.5yo and we don't have a problem with either one. Dd is in daycare during the work week...we use both diaper pails (DC downstairs, FP in dd's room) and only empty them once a week on trash night.

We don't use special bags, just rinse out the pails once in a while with disenfectant cleaner.

HTH

Christine

writeleigh
12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
I also must vote for the Diaper Dekor - we love it. It sits at the foot ofg our bed and there is no smell.

22tango
12-10-2003, 03:08 PM
That's what we do too, though I didn't mention it, and we don't have a smell (as I posted above).

Hmmm...this has me wondering why everyone's experiences are always so different! It seems like every month or two this question returns and there are always people who LOVE their DG, DC, or DD and say there is NO smell, and those who find the OPPOSITE to be true!!

Of course Karenna doesn't have frequent dirty diapers either -- maybe only 5 a week?? So perhaps that's why some diaper pails smell more than others??? I suppose the only solution for more frequent smelly diapers would be frequent emptying!?!?

kristine_elen
12-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Just reading all these posts with the widely varying answers. Do you think we sometimes just grow immune to the smell? The way you can't smell your own house or the way you can't smell a perfume you've worn for years (which is why some people put on 10 times more than they need). We have a Diaper Champ and I generally don't smell anything. I quizz people when they come over to visit and have also been told it really doesn't smell, but who knows?

mattiew
12-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Funny you said that because in my search for a new pail I was starting to wonder if some kids poop stinks more than others or if some of the pails (same make/model) aren't made as well as others. Maybe it's the numer of poops per day.....oh well I'm going to keep trying!

Carrie

kristine_elen
12-15-2003, 10:18 AM
For what it's worth, a friend was over this weekend and we were playing with Jack in his room and she sat down right in front of the Diaper Champ and seemed content. I finally pointed out what she was sitting next to and asked her if she could smell anything. She said no.
Who knows?