PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a toy for the destructive at heart

cinrein
12-10-2003, 10:08 AM
I have a niece who is 16 mos old and very destructive. A toy that involves banging and destruction would appeal to her. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

bluej
12-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Well my first thought was one of those toys w/ the hammer that you bang the balls down (preferrabley wood if she is VERY destructive). However, and I speak from experience here, a toy that involves a hammer is NOT a good idea for a destructive child. At that age Caden's favorite 'game' was for me to build a tower or something w/ megablocks and then he would destroy it.

egoldber
12-10-2003, 10:28 AM
What about Playdoh? It can be VERY satisfying to build Playdoh characters and mush them. Or Megabloks are great for building up and then smashing down. I think that all toddlers are destruction artists at heart. :)

And I would agree that a hammer may not be such a good idea.

August Mom
12-11-2003, 07:53 PM
My first thought was the hammering of balls/shapes, but I agree that the hammer can be dangerous. DS doesn't get to use the hammer. He has to use his hands. LOL Anyway, he received the Little People Stack 'n Crash Worksite from his Aunt & Uncle for Christmas. http://tinyurl.com/yuyy I think they thought the name of the toy was fitting for DS. There are 3 blocks to stack and then knock apart either with your hand, with the wrecking ball or by pushing the "dynamite" button which explodes the blocks off the ground.

As pounding toys go, the FP Tappy Turtle is pretty fun (but probably not as "destructive" as one with balls). http://tinyurl.com/yuze

As far as building and knocking down, there are various blocks available. I was looking for cardboard blocks and just found a set of 42 blocks and columns at Zany Brainy for $20. Granted, they can't be returned because Zany Brainy is going out of business, but the other 2 places I saw them they were $40 for 40 blocks. Just a thought.

newbelly2002
12-15-2003, 08:57 AM
Oh my English background is plaguing me yet. I looked at this title and was convinced I saw "...a toy for the deCONstructive at heart."

And I was sitting here trying to figure out how exactly a baby would be deconstructive. I didn't get my mistake until I saw the "hammer" suggestion.

Zoikes. Time for more coffee...
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02