PDA

View Full Version : Why are Waldorf dolls (and other stuff) so expensive?

redhookmom
12-15-2003, 10:57 PM
$100 for a doll? I am all for quality but not quite sure why they are so expensive. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Jessica

starrynight
12-15-2003, 11:01 PM
I think it has to do with them being all handmade and all natural fibers. I have seen kits or patterns much cheaper in the past, if you know how to sew at all.

egoldber
12-15-2003, 11:25 PM
I don't have any idea. I have made several cloth dolls for DD in the Waldorf style, and they were all less than $20 per doll to make, including paying $6 for a pattern. So I would think that a "mass production" doll, i.e. rather than a one of a kind art doll, which these most definitely are not, would be much less expensive per doll.

They are pretty easy to make, even for a beginner. You can use any cloth doll pattern (there are lots of free ones, or you can get one at any fabric store.) Just keep the features simple.

Now, I DO completely understand that people need to be paid for their time, but honestly, these dolls are not any harder or more expensive than any other type of cloth doll, yet they are considerably more expensive than most.

I scratch my head over this one.