PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me why this toy would be ages 3 and up?

peanut4us
12-21-2003, 12:07 PM
After making an executive decision to allow Sara to open 1 toy per day from yesterday to Christmas, we opened something today, that I love but says 3+. IT's this from IKEA:

http://tinyurl.com/2m7wy

There are 3 small animals (the chickens and chicks). But I think if I remove those, the rest is fine to play with/?? Any opinions?

nathansmom
12-21-2003, 12:22 PM
I bought Nathan a few things that were labeled that way. I've decided to remove any small pieces and let him play with whats left. I couldn't find one wooden train set that was for kids under 3 so I plan on making sure there are no small parts before letting him have his fun with it. I think as long as you watch her with the toys I see no reason not to ler her play with it.

lisams
12-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Are any of the pieces small enough to fit through a toliet paper tube? If so, I would just put those pieces away until Sara's older. It sure is cute!

Lisa

nitaghei
12-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Joey,
You wouldn't believe it - we got the exact same thing for Neel! I think other than the 3 small pieces, it should be fine. Anyway - according to my now 3 year old niece, it's for babies - she's too old to play with it!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Melanie
12-22-2003, 02:01 PM
I think it's just CYA b/c they never know what unattentive parent of a mouths-everything child might buy it. Ds is much older than your Little Woman, but he hasn't mouthed anything in over a year, so I buy him the 3 yr stuff all of the time. I think you just have to use common sense which is not-so common anymore...so they have to label everything under the sun with warnings.

For example, those animals look soft, right? Well, then a child could just stuff stuff stuff them into their mouth, even a big animal could just keep getting stuffed in there and if you're outside having a cigarette & a beer while your child is in a bathtub of 4" of water sucking down cotton, well what are you going to do? You're going to sue them b/c it was obviously THEIR fault your child got injured.

Sorry to hijack...

/end rant

Cute set! I really need to make it to Ikea this week.

christic
12-22-2003, 08:09 PM
We're giving this exact toy to our not yet 2 yr old daughter for Christmas, and I'm going to do just as you are, keep the chickens/chicks out for now and let her play with the rest. I think it's fine otherwise, and it was too cute to pass up. It's been in the closet for months now!

Chris

momma_boo
12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
>For example, those animals look soft, right? Well, then a
>child could just stuff stuff stuff them into their mouth, even
>a big animal could just keep getting stuffed in there and if
>you're outside having a cigarette & a beer while your child is
>in a bathtub of 4" of water sucking down cotton, well what are
>you going to do? You're going to sue them b/c it was obviously
>THEIR fault your child got injured.
>
>Sorry to hijack...

LOL! Thanks for the laugh! Sounds like a rant I would have made to DH (he calls them "Esther's Commentary for the Day."

Although I have to confess that for some reason DD is constantly trying to play with string (shoelaces, ribbon) and makes a beeline for any plastic bags that are on the floor. I realized that the warnings on plastic bags are for people with babies like mine.

kristine_elen
12-26-2003, 10:27 AM
I've been thinking of getting this for Jack, too. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a chewing baby would split open an animal and choke on the stuffing? We have a little beanbag dog that a friend got for Jack and after he played w/it a while, I noticed it said for 3 and up and I figure that's the only reason why. No small parts or big eyes to pop off and choke on.... If you watch baby I would think it would be fine.

luvbeinmama
12-27-2003, 01:24 AM
What is it stuffed with? If the stuffing is those little plastic pellets, that may well be a major reason (if a seam rips...).

pritchettzoo
12-27-2003, 01:54 AM
OMG...I'm picturing a small child with that whole barnyard of animals crammed in his mouth...like a game of Fuzzy Bunnies instead marshmallows... TOO FUNNY!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)