PDA

View Full Version : Music/CD suggestions-for 10 month-old?

marchmommy
12-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Hi! I'd like to play fun happy music during the day for my DS to play/dance to. My husband and I never bought many CDs, so we don't really have a good collection of adult CDs to play. I bought a bunch of lullaby music for when DS was very small, but this is more sleep music than play music. I have a Raffi CD, which is OK, and I also have a Mozart CD I like. Any other suggestions?

kaitlinsmommy
12-31-2003, 02:49 AM
I got dd a Baby Genius Playtime 3-cd set from Target for $10 and she loves it! We also like the Sesame Street Platinum cd. She got Raffi and another playtime one for Christmas which I hope are fun.

lizamann
12-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Right now I love love LOVE "African Playground" by Putumayo Kids. It's great happy dance music, but only some if it's in English, if you care about that. And it's not obviously "kid" music either. There is an original South African version of Lion Sleeps Tonight. I will eventually get the other CD's in the collection, too, since I love this one so much.

http://www.putumayo.com/playground.html

I got mine at a local independent toystore but you can get new or used on Amazon.

Enjoy!

lcl
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
my 17 mo old son has loved the Wiggleworms CD as recommended by this board before (i think you can just do a search on the name and there has been a lot of discussion about the wiggleworms (not the Wiggles).

Jen in Chicago
12-31-2003, 02:25 PM
We listen to Ralph's World a lot. Our family song is "m-o-m-m-y needs c-o-f-f-e-e d-a-d-d-y needs c-o-f-f-e-e..."

We received "Baby Beetles" for Christmas that is an instrumental CD. I guess a boy named JUDE needs all of the possible versions of Hey Jude that are out there.

Jeanmick
12-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Both my kids like the music from Hap Palmer. He has both CDs and accompanying DVD/VHS tapes that are like music videos for kids. His songs are simple, catchy and thematic to situations that kids will find themselves in (toilet training, parents leaving kids at school, eating, sleeping, even ABC's). Here's a website for you to look at:

http://www.babysongs.com/

We like the "Peek-a-boo" and "So Big" CDs.

Hope that helps.

nohomama
12-31-2003, 02:45 PM
I'd recommend the Wiggleworms CD put out by The Old Town School of Music in Chicago (http://www.oldtownschool.org) and anything by Dan Zanes (Rocketship Beach, Family Dance, Night Time, and his most recent House Party). We have and love all of these CDs. The music is fun to listen to for children and adults alike.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Congrats Sarah!!! I missed this huge news if you posted it somewhere but just saw it in your signature line, that is awesome!!!...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

pritchettzoo
12-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Philadelphia Chickens! If you have a Zany Brainy nearby, they might have some left--check in the book section (at least 40% off!); it's also available on www.amazon.com and www.overstock.com . It is absolutely hysterical--all the songs are written by Sandra Boynton and are sung by different stars (Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, Scott Bakula...). The songs are catchy and really fun. I have been unable to get "Cows" out of my head. "Pig Island" and "Snuggle Puppy" are my other faves! DD loves them and quiets down when she's pitching a fit for "Cows" especially...that might have something to do with my improvisational soft-shoe that goes along with it though! I think she's wondering if I've totally lost my mind...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

kristine_elen
01-01-2004, 01:10 PM
"Build Your Baby's Brain" cd, a compilation of classical music. Jack LOVES it. Also, which Raffi do you have? We have a couple and "Baby Beluga" is by far my favorite.

C99
01-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Another vote for the Wiggleworms CD! Also, Tom Chapin and the Disney greatest hits CDs, mostly because *I* know all the words and can sing to him.

marchmommy
01-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions! Before I read all of these I went to the local Zany Brainy and got a Putamayo Soothing Songs (even though I was looking for playtime songs!) which I love-it is so relaxing! I also got a set of 3 BabyGenius CDs from Target-a Nursery Rhymes, a Sing & Dance and Playtime CD which are all really good. I'm excited to get the Wiggleworm CD (and I live in the Chicago-area and didn't know they had a CD!) and Philadelphia Chickens as well as your other tips. Thanks so much for the awesome tips! I love these boards!!!

marchmommy
01-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Great tips! Also, Caroline, your baby is beautiful (all the babies are, but I love b/w!), as is the photo! Did you take it yourself or is it professionally done. I am looking to get some professional shots (other than Picture People) by my DS' first birthday which is almost here...I live in the Chicago-area, and am wondering if you do too...

marchmommy
01-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Kristine-I have the Raffi for the Youngest Listeners, Peanut Butter Sandwich (that obviously isn't the exact title, but I am too exhausted to get up and find it!) Is the Baby Beluga a lot better?

chrissyhowie
01-02-2004, 12:30 PM
I highly recommend the For the Kids cd:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006L7QX/qid=1073059751/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-8202761-5051112

No matter what she's doing, my DD cracks up when she hears the first song come on the speaker and starts bouncing up and down dancing. Some of the songs have lyrics that are hysterical. My little sister just got married, and she used the 3rd song on the album, Sarah McLachan's version of "Rainbow Connection", for her dance with my father. Proceeds from the album also go to a good cause (the Save the Music program for music education in public schools). It's just a fantastic collection all around.