PDA

View Full Version : Amby baby Hamock

jesseandgrace
01-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi. I also posted on this in the furniture section - but maybe it should go here. I did a search and saw some old posts, but I was wondering if anyone had any new thoughts on this. Is it too late to bother with it for a six month old? I want her to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep for longer than an hour!

bunnisa
01-01-2004, 02:25 PM
I replied to you in the other forum, but I just wanted to add that I think the Amby works so well because the baby feels enclosed and secure, and the swinging motion is reminicent of the motion the baby felt in utero.

If you bought it and decided your baby didn't like it, they usually sell for a good price on ebay (they rarely come up so they get a lot of bids).

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-01-2004, 06:36 PM
I have one and I loved it...but for some reason Tristan went from sleeping in that very well right beside me in bed to being in my bed (where he still resides even though we have our Amby and a gorgeous round crib decked out in diopini silk)...

Tristan was 20lbs at 6 months and I know they use them for children up to two, I have been very curious as to if he would have been fine in it still...

Again I have no reason that I can remember for him not staying in it, we did enjoy it. They are expensive and they do re sell well-it's a hard call. Amby is awesome if you email him I think he can give you some insight. By the way mine arrived very quickly once ordered from australia.

Keep us posted!!

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jesseandgrace
01-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys - Grace was 22 pounds at her six month a few weeks ago - so I just can't help but think that she may be too big. But, we are DRIVING across the country and spending 4 months in California, so this might work well as a swing/bed combo. She loves the swing. I wouldn't even bother with the pack-n-play because she will not go to sleep in it. I am currently using it as a hamper!

I think I will call my mom and see if she might like to chip in.....:)

bunnisa
01-01-2004, 08:01 PM
I can't remember what the weight limit is, but if your DD is close, on the website it says that you can just buy an extra spring and it's good for even longer.

HTH!!

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

Momof3Labs
01-01-2004, 09:46 PM
My only concern would be a mobile baby - Colin has been so squirmy in his crib since about 6 months, including standing and now walking - do mobile babies adapt to having to be immobile in an Amby? I suppose that if they are never awake in it, it wouldn't be a problem. The owner can probably help you with this question - it's just something that comes to my mind!

ak_becky_book
01-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi, I bought one (with the extra spring). Mine had to come from Austrilia (they were not selling them in the US at the time).

I thought it was so cool looking and was sure that she would love it. Unfortunately, my youngen was a belly sleeper very early, and really liked sleeping on me. So it did not work real well for us. I did get her to sleep in it for a very little while, when she started sitting up in it was when I stopped using it (about 5 or 6 mo old).

If your baby is not a belly sleeper, and is not into sleeping with her arms outstreched, you might try getting one used. I would not go for the expensive new one.

Here is one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2371058600&category=20423

As to mom of a not so good sleeper, I feel your pain.

Rebecca
Mom to Samantha (I was up for an hour at 3 AM)
12/1/02

sirensrise
01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
hi, dd is almost 5 month old. i looked into it too. i talked to the person who sells it, since i was worried about the weight too. he said that the problem with bigger baby is when they start to sit or pull themselves up, they can tip over and out of the hammock. so i decided against it. oh, and he is going to try to have them take out the thing about it is good till two. i guess i can definitely see accidents happen with a two year old getting out of the thing.

sbirmantaz
01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
We also have an Amby hammock. My dd is 7 weeks and has only slept in it a few times. She loves her bouncy seat and when I try to get her to sleep in the hammock she doesn't. I still have high hopes for it when she is 3 months old or so I hope she will like it. She is a fussy baby in the evenings and unfortunately it doesn't help soothe her...