PDA

View Full Version : Still undecided on 1st BDay gift - help

ddmarsh
01-07-2004, 08:20 PM
This whole girl thing continually throws me for a loop - there are just *so* many more choices, LOL! At any rate, I keep going back and forth and just wonder what ideas others may have for 1st bday gift for my DD. Things I have considered:

add a pearl necklace
start American Girl
wooden toy box
small wooden playhouse for indoors (although we have one of the
big Little Tikes ones in our playroom already so this doesn't
sound too great)

Thanks for any help -

pamela mom of 3
01-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Well i guess it would depend upon what you have already ;)

Dolls?

Do you have any little people sets? what about the little dollhouse they make? or any of the other sets they have..

What is she fond of playing with at the momment? ride ons are great too even if they are not walking yet, they still love sitting on them..i know my eldest dd we got a little tikes ride on horse for her first xmas she about 9mths not walking but still loved sitting on it :)

Lego is also a blast, their are many duplo sets out.

:)

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/fk/flowerkitty.gif[/IMG]

csa12
01-07-2004, 09:18 PM
I have a DS so I am not sure how much help I'll be, but when I was younger I loved the doll house my mom got me. Although DD may be too young to enjoy it right away it may be a nice gift to add to for her birthdays.

On the other hand, DH's young cousins got tons of adorable stuff from American Girl this Christmas. The stuff was so cute I found myself playing around with them!! LOL It may be more practical than a doll house since they can set up and play house anywhere they want.

For DS's first b-day I am most likely getting him a Kettler trike. Any interest in getting her one? They have a cute model "blossom" that is purple with a flower on it.

HTH and have fun shopping for DD!
Cheryl

ddmarsh
01-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. We already have a Kettler and most of what was mentioned above - it's tough coming up with something for a fourth child. I do like the idea of the AG stuff, I'll have to look more closely at those.

Imperia
01-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I loved dolls as a little girl and I still collect them to this day! I don't really collect AG but if your DD likes dolls it would be a nice tradition to start and add to every birthday. Every year for my birthday my father would get me a new MA (Madame Alexander) doll. He started off with the baby dolls, and as I got older he started getting me the ones in fancy dresses etc. This is still a very fond memory for me even as an adult.

Imperia

vikivoly
01-08-2004, 01:18 AM
I also pondered this for a long time for my little girl. I think your looking for something like I was, a little sentimental, something special, a keepsake, etc.. I considered the add a pearl necklace, but decided it was just a little too impractical for the price. I ended up getting her an upholstered rocking chair. It wasn't exactly the gift I was looking for, but it is cute and she does use it.

I took her first birthday picture with it and attached it below.

Napolimom
01-08-2004, 02:31 AM
We also get our daughter a Madame Alexander doll (for Christmas though) each year. But, a more practical gift would be the American Girl-we bought the American Girl Bitty Baby with a stroller for our daughter's first birthday. She loves it (so does her brother)! I haven't got any accessories for her doll other than the stroller...maybe I should!

vikivoly
01-08-2004, 03:13 AM
What is American Girl any way? I was doing a Christmas photo shoot and I commented to the Grandmother about the cute dresses the girls were wearing and she said they were from American Girl. I said I never heard of it and she replied, "Oh, you will. Just wait!"

heidi_timms
01-08-2004, 04:23 AM
Not very exciting, but how about a child size table and chair set? Another suggestion might be a rocking horse or other animal. Have you checked Babystyle? They have some really cute things. I put some links to some stuff that looks cool:

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductFrame.asp?DepartmentID=37&CategoryID=29&SubCategoryID=140&ClassID=647

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductFrame.asp?DepartmentID=37&CategoryID=29&SubCategoryID=140&ClassID=647

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductFrame.asp?DepartmentID=4&CategoryID=32&SubCategoryID=490&ClassID=2880

My MIL just got my niece's daughter this super cute princess table. It's really cute IRL!

http://www.smartbargains.com/prod.aspx?s=CA1&ev=0&evn=&deptId=78&catId=1490&prodId=3050216368

Hope you find something super special!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

vpalmer
01-08-2004, 10:54 AM
We received an American Girl catalog in the mail not to long ago. It is a brand of dolls and apparently they have outfits for girls that match the doll's outfits. One of my DH's co-workers has two girls ages 7 and 10 and they make an annual trek to the American Girl Doll Museum in Chicago every year.

Personally, I probably would not start a collection for DD at age one because it is not something she could actually use or appreciate at age one, but that is JMO.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

FYI, Here is their website: http://www.americangirlstore.com/pls/ag/AG_pagestyle?catid=375796&groupid=424943
$42 for a pair of pajamas makes Gymboree look like a bargain!

ddmarsh
01-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Vicki - Where did you get the chair you purchased? We do have the PBK monogrammed chair with the slipcover but I love the idea of a rocker as well.

new_mommy25
01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
When I was younger I wanted an American Girl "Kirsten" doll so badly it hurt. I asked for one every year for years but sadly never got one :( They're pretty expensive so of course now I fully understand why I never got them. But anyway at the time I was probably about 8. I think that a one year old is much to young to seriously enjoy somwething like an AG doll, kwim? Especially since all the dolls come with books and such that she wouldn't even be able to read or understand for years and years. But thats just MHO.

vikivoly
01-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Veronica,

Thanks for the link. Is this the same place that makes a doll that looks like your child? Oh no, I think that is "My Twin" or something like that. It looks like something really neat, but I agree I don't think it would be worth it for a one year old.

Debbie,

I got the chair at Cribs to Teens. They have a website, but I'm not sure if you can purchase off of it or not. Their prices aren't great either. The chair is from Kidsline, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. BRU had similar rockers for half the price, but nothing that matched DD's nursery.

Good Luck!

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking a Steiff Teddy Bear!!!
I carried mine around as a child all of the time, so much so it is in my passport picutre when I am very young :)

Ebay had a ton of them so that you could atleast look over them and get an idea...
I have "Teddy" and "Zody"
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

peanut4us
01-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Sara just received a Steiff Teddy Bear for Christmas from her grandparents. I love it. It's so soft and she is starting to drag it aroud with her now.

kirstensmom
01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
My mother got my dd the american girl bitty baby and bitty baby's stroller for her first birthday and she loves it. Although she has other dolls, this is by far the one she chooses everytime.

We bought the Brighton white table and chairs set by Kidkraft with four different color chairs and it's really cute and my dd (who's now 16months) can get up to the table to read her books now.

She also got a pretty upholstered rocker which she uses every day.

HTH