PDA

View Full Version : What toys did you have for your newborn to first few months?

CBB
01-20-2004, 04:56 PM
We have the mobile and gymini playgym. I was wondering what other toys your baby had when they were newborns to the first few month. Which ones are their favorite? When did you give your baby the mozart music tube? Anyone knows where I can get it for a good price -- it's out of stock in most of the websites.

TIA,

amp
01-20-2004, 05:42 PM
We had toys, but he really didn't play with many for the first three months. We hooked a lightening bug from Carters on his carseat handle and he loved to look at that light up and play music. As he became able to move his hands, he loved to bat at stuff, so we made sure to hang toys that rattled or jingled for him to bat at (gymini type toys, but they were on the carseat, bassinet, crib, etc). He also loved to look in and reach up to a mirror we had hanging over his PNP in the living room. It was a Tiny Love mirror that had a gardening motif and a snail hanging off of the front. It played music if you hit it. I've recommended this to more people. It cost more than some of the other mirrors, but it was totally worth it. he loved to play with it when he got to be about 3 mths old and it became a huge goal of his to grab that bug! After 3 mths, he loved lots of the Sassy toys and really anything that rattled or jingled that he could start to grasp in his little, uncoordinated fists.

ETA: Oh, and at around 3 mths was when he started to play with and loved the Fisher Price Kick N Drive toy! It was the only way DH and I could actually eat a meal together at that time!

Jen in Chicago
01-20-2004, 06:05 PM
We had little hanging toys on his carseat he focused on, and eventually grabbed. If he would get fussy we would say "Where is your bug" and he would look at it.

We have the Lamaze Milliped (sp) that he loved to hear the noises, and when he started to reach/grab/eat everything, he loved the many legs on it. This was one of the first things he could handle on his own and he would wrestle with it (he is a boy!) I like this one, but he was given two other "worm" type toys and they were liked also. I recommend a "worm" of some sort. I know Carters makes on with pastels we have.

The Ocean Aquarium has been a hit all along.

The Mozart Cube we received at Christmas when he was 7 mo. Maybe a month earlier he would enjoy it since he can sit and play with it? I think 5-7 mo would be a time for that toy.

kaitlinsmommy
01-20-2004, 07:00 PM
We had LOTS of toys (rattles, Gymini, mobile) but Kaitlin wasn't interested in any of that until about 3-4 months. Then, she loved the Gymini, especially if I lay next to her and the Sassy smiley face rattle was fun too. As a new parent, I was surprised that she wasn't in to anything right away. But she really liked to be held and carried in the BB.

TaChapm2
01-20-2004, 07:19 PM
DS favorite toy was a baby whoozit for his first 6 mos. He even cut his first teeth on this. We had the links hanging form the handle on his car seat and attached his whoozit to it and then would pull it off when we got home. He just loved it. His favorite rattle was the Discovery toys Crab rattle. I'm not sure what it was about this but it was a big hit. Most all of the sassy toys are good for newborns and up. We got DS the Mozart Music Cube by Embryonics for his first birthday. It's great. We paid a lot for ours online but I have since found them at Wal-Mart for $19. They say Munchkin on the box but are exactly the same.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

egoldber
01-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Honestly, we only had about 10 toys until she was 6 months.

The Mozart Music Cube is more for babies 9+ months old.

HTH,

deborah_r
01-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Besides Gymini and mobile, my baby liked the FP Ocean Wonders Aquarium and the Lamaze Inchworm. The Lamaze Mirror (with the triangular wedge) is good for when they get into tummy time, but I don't think DS cared much about it until at least 4 months.

vpalmer
01-21-2004, 10:00 AM
DD began showing an interest in her gymini and her sassy mirror around 6 weeks of age. We hung the mirror over her changing table and she loved to look at herself and eventually grab the toys attached to the mirror.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

wilelm
01-21-2004, 11:29 AM
We have the Tiny Love mirror with the snail as well, and my daughter still loves it. The other big hit was the FP Kick and Play piano. It's great because they can play it by accident, even when they're very little. It ties to the PNP or crib (mine was always in the PNP), and if you put their feet facing it, when they kick, they play it, whether they mean to or not. My daughter still likes to play with it, on the floor now.

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03

vikivoly
01-21-2004, 03:36 PM
DD liked her FP Kick and Play, crib mobile and Ocean Wonders Aquarium. She wasn't to interested in hand held toys until after 3 months. I know you want to buy toys - their so much fun to buy - but I recommend the minimum because they just don't play with them until their older.

It's not a toy, but consider a DVD - Baby Einstein and Elmo's World were DD's favorites at that age.

luvmypeanut
01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Nathalie loved the wrist rattles and foot rattles by Lamaze, Baby Mozart, Baby Einstein activity mat, and FP Ocean Wonders bouncy chair. We were traveling around a lot in the early months and I didn't want to buy her too much stuff, but that's all she needed anyway. Also, she loved and still loves the Neurosmith Sunshine Symphony.