PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a wooden highchair

jmcknight
01-27-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm looking to buy a wooden highchair (something other than a Jenny Lind style). Does anyone have a good resource (web site) that sells them?
Thanks!

mommyj_2
01-29-2004, 02:23 AM
Have you looked at the Svan chair? It's a more modern design. They have it at www.babybungalow.com.
I'm trying to decide between this and some other ones. HTH!

Dcclerk
01-29-2004, 01:35 PM
I actually just got a Svan chair and am very happy with it. It is similar to the Stokke chair in that it goes from infant through childhood(aesthetics are quite different)but you can get an infant kit which includes a belly bar and tray. (For the Stokke ones, you need to get a European one or aftermarket additions to get the bar and/or tray. For me, that was too much work:) )

The tray is not very big, but is big enough for our purposes. I can get it close against his tummy, which is great for his need to self-feed. It is really easy to move all over since it is more compact than most high chairs, with a handle. I like that I can pull it right up to the table so he can eat with us, or have it away from the table with his own tray. It doesn't match our decor, but it is closer than the blue and yellow plastic number I originally had:)

Here' what it looks like...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2180.jpg

The downsides to it, as I see them are:

1.Price (It's hard to find one less than $250. I got a "bargain" with a local retailer at $230 with no tax or shipping.)
2. Can't stick the tray in the dishwasher, so it may be harder to clean.
3. Looks just a tad like an electric chair:0

sarahfran
01-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm trying to decide between a Stokke, a Svan, and a big plastic high chair. I'm really not wild about the plastic option (to me, they're all pretty much the same--from Fisher Price up to Peg).

Have you had any trouble with your Svan tipping? I just talked to a Stokke salesman and he said the Svans sometimes tip. With the Stokke, I'd have to pull the baby right up to the kitchen table and strap him in to a cushion (babybungalow shows straps on the cushions). The Stokke folks say that as soon as the baby can sit up well he'll be okay in their chair. DS is 5.5 months.

Any thoughts? I like the Svan but have to admit I'm a bit partial to the Stokke (love those colors!).
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

angusmom
01-29-2004, 04:42 PM
The One Step Ahead catalog has just introduced a wooden high chair. I didnt find it on their web site but it's in their latest catalog. You could find their web site at the following address and give them a call to ask about it:
http://www.onestepahead.com

Other than that, I know of only one company still making a wooden high chair - Rochelle Furniture:
http://www.rochellefurniture.com/
or
http://www.rochellefurniture.com/high_chairs/index.html

Rochelle has made wood high chairs for years and they are a wonderful company with quality products.

Hope this helps!

Dcclerk
01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
No problem with tipping, but I did just get it. There are warnings on the Svan chair that say that you need to switch which nut you screw the footrest onto once you lower it to a certain level or else it could tip. I would suspect that is where the Stokke warning would come from. I honestly can't fathom how it would tip at this point, unless it was something like not adjusting the nut properly. I put my weight on the footrest with no problem.

I agree that the Stokke chair is a snazzier looking chair. I think that if it had the belly bar and the tray, I would have gotten them. On the other hand, it is also much more "mainstream". A good portion of my neighbors have them and they are in every little baby boutique in my area so I do like that I have something different.

I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable putting my guy in just the Stokke chair, yet, and he is 7 1/2 months and has been sitting by himself really well since 4 1/2 months. I just like the extra protection around him and would worry too much of relying just on the strap (that I not have totally fastened accidentally) if he decided to lean far over, as he is prone to do when he wants to try to reach something. However, I'm sure for other people, this would not be an issue.

If you like the red of the Stokke chair, I think that the Svan cherry is not that far off (it DEFINITELY is not like the cherry furniture I have in my house).

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

sarahfran
01-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Kerry,
Thanks for the quick response! This will definitely be a tough decision. Glad to hear that you haven't encountered any tipping trouble. Is your Svan in the cherry color? I really do like the red Stokke. I was actually thinking I'd either get the Raspberry or the Blueberry.

Did you buy the cushions? If so, are they easy to clean?

I posted a separate message about these two chairs, and included a link to another wooden chair that someone posted long ago...I'm curious to hear what you think of that one. It looks pretty bare-bones, but that may be fine. It's certainly reasonable!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

deborah_r
01-29-2004, 04:53 PM
IKEA has some very basic wooden high chairs.

sarahfran
01-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Hmmm... yes, they do look decent. Here's a nice one (39.99) http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=11083&langId=-1&parentCats=10106*10196

and a nice optional cushion (9.99): http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=33553&langId=-1&parentCats=10106*10196

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

mommyj_2
01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Sarah,
We're totally on the same page. I've been deciding between the Svan and Stokke, and am interested in pretty much the same colors as you.
Do you know anything about the safety of the IKEA highchairs? The one in the link looks pretty good, but I'm wondering if it's as safe as the other chairs. We have an IKEA couch that's great, but I go back and forth in my opinion of IKEA quality.
Please post when you decide. Maybe it will help me make up my mind!
I looked into buying the Stokke with the baby set from the UK, but it was going to cost around $350 with shipping. I think I like the look of the Tripp Trapp better than the Svan, but I don't think it's worth an extra $130, especially since it doesn't have a tray. I might have DS eat with us anyway, but I think I like the tray option. Hmmmm....
Okay, sorry to ramble, but I'm hoping to hear more feedback on these chairs.

sarahfran
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm sure I'll debate this much more and will probably change my mind back and forth several times, but right now I'm thinking I'll either get the Stokke in a juicy color from babybungalow (free shipping, no tax, free cushion) and have the "baby set" (which makes it into a Tripp Trap--I assume! Geez, maybe that high back is a totally different chair!) shipped to my mother in the UK to have her bring back home in April. OR, I'll likely get that cheap ($109) Simo Viking highchair... it's a nice look, has the same type of flexible system as the Stokke (plus tray), and is about $140 less.

But I am having trouble letting go of the yummy colors...

I will post when I decide!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

JElaineB
01-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Organic Bebe has a few different wooden high chairs, including the Svan chair, Rochelle chairs and restaurant style high chairs:

http://www.organicbebe.com/youth_seating.asp

Also if you search for "high chair" on their home page, there are a couple more that come up that aren't under the high chair category for some reason.

http://organicbebe.com

ETA: The Svan high chair is under $219 including shipping at Organcic Bebe. I saw someone else said they are hard to find under $250, so I thought I would add that. I have ordered a couple of small items from Organic Bebe before and was happy with their service, but I haven't ordered a large item like a high chair from them.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sarahfran
01-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just checked out the site and they have a fabulous video demonstration of how the Svan works.

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Dcclerk
01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
I don't have the cherry. I was afraid that it would look too much like I was trying to match my other furniture. I just have natural wood, and it looks just like the picture. I wonder if it would take up any stain. It would be a lot of work, but that might be an option for you, too, if you really want a tray and color.

I should clarify that the $230 I referenced included the cushion, so it was the chair, cushion and infant kit. I haven't had to clean the cushion, yet, because the tray really does come pretty close and there hasn't been much of a mess on it. Sorry I can't help you on that one.

I think the Ikea one looks really cute. It wouldn't last quite as long, and your babe wouldn't be able to climb onto it by him/herself later on down the line, but it looks like a great bargain and is actually quite attractive. To me, the Simo one you posted about in another thread looks a tad rickity, but I have no real-life experience with that one, either.

Let us know what you decide on.

apfb
01-31-2004, 02:39 AM
We've had the Svan chair now for at least 6 months, and we all love it. It works great, and there is NO danger of tipping every. It's very stable and comfortable. It's also easy to clean. We wipe off the wooden tray after every messy meal. The cushions are also machine washable.

The U.S. distributor is also very helpful and friendly. We had a minor problem with one part, and she immediately sent us a replacement part without any hassle.

We purchased it from babycenter.com when they had some kind of 10% off coupon.

Good luck!

1st time mom to Maya the Mighty b. 3/2003

amp
01-31-2004, 06:39 PM
I just noticed today that Target (I don't know if it's online or not) has a "Eddie Bauer" brand wooden high chair. It looked fairly nice, but I didn't look at it in detail.

sarahfran
01-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to find a local store that has one so I can go look. I do love the idea of the tray!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03