PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Potty Chair

August Mom
02-08-2004, 07:36 PM
So DH has been wanting me to get a potty chair for DS. I brought one home today, the Baby Bjorn one. http://tinyurl.com/2r7d3 Now, after seeing it, DH is concerned about how to clean it. I'm not sure what he was envisioning (connection to the sewage system?) but he was surprised that the urine and poop go into a container that has to be removed and emptied and then that you'd have to clean that container. So, I said I'd ask you for your sage advice. (Although I'm pretty sure that DH won't agree to clean it no matter how you all say we should do it). What's the best way to clean the container?

Or, alternatively, would it be better to get the seat cover that sits on the regular toilet seat. I saw that Baby Bjorn has one of those too that looks pretty nice, but was rather pricey. http://tinyurl.com/2njy7

lisams
02-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Could you line it with plastic grocery bags? That way if it's poo, you could just empty it from bag to the real toilet. I always wondered about that, because I'm sure it would get smelly if it wasn't cleaned after each use. How exciting starting potty training!! I'm dreaming of diaper free days!

Lisa

brubeck
02-09-2004, 01:09 AM
If your child likes the seat on the regular toilet go for it! But he may prefer the smaller potty. Some kids are like that. Amy didn't mind the big potty but her training didn't take off until she got her own 'Amy potty'.

It depends how picky you want to be. I dumped the contents into the toilet and had Amy flush for me, then I rinsed out the bowl with hot water in the sink. For good measure then Amy and I washed our hands OVER the bowl in the sink so it got soapy water in it, then I rinsed it again.

Each evening I would spray it with Lysol and rinse it in the bathtub. Once a week I would do a (solo) dishwasher cycle on the entire chair, and I kept a few Clorox wipes aaround for quickie cleanups.

I think this is middle-of-the-road treatment. I have met Moms who did less cleaning than this and Moms who were doing the Lysol scrub EVERY time.

luvbeinmama
02-09-2004, 01:39 AM
LOL! I can't even imagine what your DH was expecting! We just dump the contents into the toilet, rinse it, wiping & soap if necessary (poop), and put it back into the the potty chair. You did know pee is an antiseptic, didn't you?

Actually, DS uses the toilet exclusively now and preferred it when seriously potty training. We used the seat cover a bit but DS prefers to sit on the regular toilet seat so he can get his bottom down further. I had to keep reminding him to keep his rump out of the water (yuck! LOL! :P ). So I would have both on hand. It is easier for them to get the whole procedure down on the potty chair because it's lower, I think, but you never know what your child will prefer.

HTH!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-09-2004, 11:55 AM
with Jake I had a potty chair that turned into a stool, so he could use it to get onto the big potty later.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03