PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier question - Please post your opinion

anutalp
02-09-2004, 11:52 PM
After reading all possible messages on that boards about finding a perfect humidifier I have to say that I still don't understand which one is better. In BBbook they write that cold mist is better cause it doesn't let bacteria growth. In What to expect first year they say an opposite - warm is better cause it doesn't let bacteria overgrowth (which sounds less logical, though). I do understand that warm is hazardous cause of burn risk. Is it so? What about ultrasonic addition.
Based on BBbook (which I like and trust) I bought Holmes cool mist 3 gallon. Well, yesterday I turned it on and it makes a terrible noise that I personaly can't stand even on low mode! I'm going to return it tomorrow. I read a positive reviews about Slant/Fin Germ-Free Humidifier with Ultraviolet (UV) Light Germicidal Chamber GF-200 ($79 in drugstore) but in the reviews there a lot of people wrote that it makes noise to which apparently I'm intolerant.
Well, I guess that I'm searching for a perfect one that will do everything and will be noiseless. Please post your experience with Vick, Honeywell, slunt/fin (which brand?) other???
Thanks a lot,
Ana.

luvbeinmama
02-10-2004, 02:47 AM
Okay, I had a Evenflo warm mist and had some yuckies growing on the wall in the nursery (behind a chair that I didn't notice right away). Also, it was a PITA to clean. I tried one of the cheap cool mist ones, too, and it was also a PITA to clean. I hated both of them. I now have a Honeywell Cool Mist and have no problem with that. I LOVE my cool mist humidifier. It is easy to clean, and works great!

The reason your cool mist humidifier is noisy is that cool mist humidifiers literally fling water into the air. To do this, there must be a fan running, and the fan creates noise. My Honeywell has 3 speeds and I use the lowest setting as it is the least noisy. The noise can be a really big plus, though, as it creates "white noise" in the room. Outside noises are less likely to wake the baby with it running as they won't really hear them. A warm-mist humidifier/vaporizer, on the other hand, works by heating the water and letting it evaporate(mist) into the air. Because there is no fan used in this process, it is pretty much silent.

HTH!

anutalp
02-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks a lot for your comment. My DH was teriffied by "yuckies growing on the wall" :)
Ana.

nohomama
02-10-2004, 10:45 AM
I have two Slant/Fin humidifiers (the model you mentioned as well as their newer double tank model) and find them both very quiet even on the highest setting. We have one in Lola's bedroom and one in our bedroom.

As you already seem to know, Slant/Fin humidifiers use an ultraviolet light to kill bacteria and a small filter pad (has the look and feel of one of those green scrubbies used for dishes) to filter out minerals and larger particulate matter. Consequently, you don't have to add a bacteriaside to the water to prevent microbial growth (one reason I vastly prefer this humidifier over other warm and cool mist units). A cool mist unit alone isn't going to prevent bacterial growth. Bacteria and mold can grow perfectly well at room temperature.

I highly recommend the Slant/Fin but I'm sure others will recommend other makes and models. This is one of those things that just comes down to personal preference. Good luck finding what works for you.

sntm
02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
We have the slant/fin also (thanks partly to Sarah and partly to our neighbors who didn't want theirs anymore and gave it to us when we were going to buy it anyway). It's very quiet, to the point where if I have it on low, I sometimes have to check if it is on. On the higher levels, it makes a soft bubbly noise, kind of like the FP peaceful planet that is very relaxing. I recommend it.

One rec I have is to get a hygrometer (I think that's what they are called?) to measure the humidity level in the room. At higher humidities (especially 50% and greater), you are at higher risk for mold growth in the room. EPA website has more info. OUrs wasn't expensive (maybe $20-30) and is digital and also gives the temp inside and out and can measure maximums/minimums (useful when I was trying to prove to DH that the heat pump wasn't working and Jack's room was getting too cold at night.)

BTW, Sarah, congrats! Just saw the tagline re: number two!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

anutalp
02-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Thank you very much, girls, you're so helpful. I don't want to order from internet (drugstore) in case that I will not like it and it will be PITA to send it back. I think Bed, Bath and Beyond has something like that, right? Where did you buy yours?
Thanks again,
Ana (BTW, mom to be - 02/23)

yellowdogmom
02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I just wanted to chime in that I had a cool mist vaporizer growing up and used it into college even! It was so nice to pull it out when I wasn't feeling good and hear that familiar hum - the noise alone instantly made me feel better! The brand was DeVilbiss. And to be honest, I still have it (in its original box even!) in the basement and I've been considering just taking it apart and giving it a super-duper good cleaning to use for our little one. As far as ickies growing, I don't ever remember there being ickies growing in it so there must be something to the cool mist theory (and good thorough washings regularly).

:) Kristin
Adopting #1 from Korea

sntm
02-10-2004, 12:59 PM
I know our BB&B has the refill filters for it, so you could probably get it there.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

cma
02-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I just bought a Slant/Fin Humidifier (Model 210) at our Bed Bath & Beyond last Thursday when both kids came down with a cold. They both needed a humidifier in their rooms!

I used one of their 20% off coupons and it came out to $69 with tax.

Good Luck!

lmahn
02-10-2004, 11:09 PM
My husband and I just went through this same debate a few weeks ago. We ended up buying a Honeywell warm mist humidifer at Home Depot (Model # HMW 255 -- you can see a picture and get more details at Home Depot's web site). It only cost us $40, it is virtually silent, not difficult to clean, has a digital display for the humidity level, and it works really well. We love it. We used to have a Honeywell cool mist, but our water is really hard and we had to replace the filters every few weeks, which was expensive. I know that our family doctor told us that we would need to use a bacteriacide with the cool mist humidifier, but the warm mist humidifier is supposed to be bacteria free because it boils the water first. Here is a link that I thought was helpful when I was trying to decide which type of humidifier and which brand to buy:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/humidifiers/fullstory.html

I also second the opinion that a hygrometer is really helpful. We have one that monitors the indoor temp, outdoor temp, and humidity. We bought it at Walmart for about $15.

~ Lisa

Mom to Rachel Loraine (due 3/29/04)

anutalp
02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Just wanted to update:
- Returned Holmes cool mist
- Purchased Bionaire warm mist - didn't like it, returned it today
- Purchased Slant/Fin with uv, going to try it today
Well, I guess everybody have to go through 4-5 till they found their favorite one. I'll let you know :)
Thanks to everybody for your comments
Ana.

anutalp
02-14-2004, 02:41 PM
More update:
Didn't like the Slant-Fin - I don't like that it doesn't have a humidistat. So returned it.
Purchased Honeywell warm mist 3 gallon digital - tried it and like it. I think I'm going to keep that one - forth one!!!
Ana.

loritb
02-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Just one more question on humidifiers- does anyone not use one? We live in Houston and our house always seems pretty humid, but if it is better for the baby, we'll get one. Just with all the problems with mold, etc., don't want to make it worse if a humidifier is really more useful in cold, dry climates or places where the heat is used often.

Thanks, Lori

anutalp
02-15-2004, 02:41 PM
I live in Wisconsin, not too humid and not too dry. We have a central humidifier in our house which we set on 35 in winter. I think that 35 is not good enough for baby, it should be around 45. That's the reason I got one. Actually a new Honeywell with digital humidistat is a good one (I changed 4). I also put an additional humidistat in baby's room to check the humidifier and it's really precise. Maybe you can check the humidity in your baby's room and then decide whether you need one.
Ana.

tlwpeanut
02-16-2004, 04:25 PM
I also live in Houston and my pedi recommended we get one when we were battling various respiratory infections in DS over the last couple of months. Even in Houston, it can get a little dry on those few chilly days. In fact, I was having some issues with dry eyes over this past weekend because we DON'T have a humidifier in our bedroom and the air was getting really dry (since the heater was running a lot due to the cold snap).

That said, I have a Hunter Care-free (or something like that) and had to send it back to Hunter because it started making some rattling noises. I'm also concerned about it because our water is so hard that the "permawick" is just encrusted with mineral deposits. They're not supposed to affect the performance of the unit, but it sure is yucky looking.

gabesmom
02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi,
I just did a quick glance at this discussion but wanted to add that we have the kenmore whisper flow ultrasonic (cool mist) and love it. It is very quiet, has a digital control and also has a decalcifying filter. We have not had any problems with noise or calcium deposit. BTW, we've had it for about 14mths.

Marion

ppshah
02-17-2004, 12:55 PM
I have an 11 month old and do not own one. He has had mulitple colds but no other major respiratory symptoms. Our house doesn't feel particularly dry in the winter. Personally I would just skip it!!!