PDA

View Full Version : baby sign language - which book?

almostmom
02-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I want to do sign language with my son when he's old enough (he's 3 months now) but there are so many books to choose from! What would people recommend? Do I need a video to learn it or is a book enough?

Thanks,
liz

HelenD
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I'd recommend going to your local library, which may have a couple, and checking out which style you like better. (BTW, if you don't know this, even if your library doesn't have it on their shelf, they may be able to get it for you for just the cost of postage or less thru an interlibrary loan...worth asking about).

FWIW, I prefer the Joseph Garcia book (Sign with your Baby) to the Linda Acredolo book because there were more pictures of signs and it seemed to me easy for ME to learn out to do it. YMMV.

You might also go to Amazon and look at the reviews there to see which one gets better "reviews".

Good Luck!

H.
(I'm going to begin this w/ my DD, who is 4.5 months)

stillplayswithbarbies
02-12-2004, 03:00 PM
I would get videos rather than books. It's hard to mimic a sign when you see just a static picture of it.

We started with the Signing Time videos at 6 months, and she learned the sign for milk right away, just from watching the video and copying the babies on the video.

If you do a search here for "signing time" you will see a lot of discussion about it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ghs517
02-12-2004, 03:15 PM
We got the Joseph Garcia "Sign with your Baby" complete kit for Xmas. It comes with a book and the video. Frankly, after viewing the video, it is so comprehensive that I could start signing right away without reading the book (though I'm sure I'll get around to reading it someday). The video is for parent/caregivers, though, not for little ones like the signing times.

Hope this helps!
GHS, mom to Bella 4.5 mos

egoldber
02-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I've read all the books and I wouldn't recommend buying any of them. Just get them from your library and read them once. I would recommend the Signing Time videos, just because they are very well done and most babies and toddlers really love them. They also made it easy for my DH to learn the signs and he would honestly have never sat down with a book and learned the signs.

But you don't need anything. You can find signs on-line for free and just start signing! The other stuff just makes it more fun and re-inforces the signs.

HTH,

HelenD
02-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Beth,

Where did you go online to find signs? I'd love some good site recommendations!

BTW, I didn't buy any of the books, I just keep re newing the Garcia book I got from the library!

H.

Kimberly H
02-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Here's my favorite site, though I have no idea if it's ASL or not. Signing with Mia is rather haphazard - I'm not sure it's worth it if she's in daycare during the day and they're not aware of her signs. She tends to make up her own signs anyway! :)

http://www.signwithme.com/main_signs.asp

egoldber
02-12-2004, 04:07 PM
This is by far the best one I have found:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

HTH,

smomom
02-13-2004, 10:32 AM
I would also highly recommend the Signing Time video series. They are excellent. I just saw a code in Working Mother magazine to save $5 of the gift pack (3 pack). The code is WM. Their web site is www.signingtime.com

AngelaS
02-13-2004, 10:54 AM
I bought Baby Signs. It was the only book out there 6 years ago when I wanted to teach Adrienne and I've never felt I needed videos. :D I also have a signed English dictionary with thousands of signs in it. :)

kijip
02-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Whatever book you decide on a reccommend one that uses ASL based signs. My husband and I like Sign with your Baby by Joseph Garcia. The video is nice but I would look for it at the library before buying it. The Quick Reference guide is useful too. The website is www.sign2me.com.