PDA

View Full Version : Bathing in the Big Tub...

KMommie
02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
How do you keep your little one from constantly standing up in the tub? We just "graduated" to the big tub. Previously, DD was always bathed in the kitchen sink. Kind of miss that, since it was a lot easier on the back! Anyway, DD likes to try and stand up in the tub now. The Safer Bather sometimes gets in her way, but she doesn't care. If we sit her back down, she just wiggles to try and get back up. She thinks it's fun, for a while, but then she'll just start complaining/screaming to get out, if we don't let her cruise the tub. I'm afraid she's going to knock herself out if she falls, not to mention get a mouthful of water or worse. As for taking a bath with her, I've tried it, but the "proper" temperature, leaves me shivering!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

caleymama
02-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but we don't! We've always just let her stand. We have an inflatable spout cover to protect her from bonking her head on it. She sits down sometimes to play, but about 90% of her bath time is spent standing up.

luvbeinmama
02-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah, we don't either. I think that would be a losing battle. Just cushion the spout and be ready to catch! (sorry, TOH here!)

sarasprings
02-20-2004, 03:00 PM
We let DS stand for about 2 months (while holding one arm), thinking it was a stage, but he never stopped. We started giving him a bath in a big green Rubbermaid storage container so there is nothing he could hit if he falls (and it doesn't slope). He's still in it at 21 months, but baths are much more relaxing.

Jen in Chicago
02-20-2004, 04:02 PM
The swivel seat works at containing Jude. Is is one of the few things that can. It can't really suction to the bottom of our tub, but he has not figured that out. As long as he can splash and see toys floating we are pretty good.

smkinc
02-24-2004, 04:10 AM
For about a week I told Jeremiah he had to 'sit on his bottom' while in the tub and when he would stand up, I would say this and physically get him to sit back down. If he cries, or otherwise objects, we just get him out of the tub and say 'all done'. I did have to repeat it about 20 times, but now when I say 'you need to sit on your bottom', he sits right down. Now, he loves his bath and is a pretty amiable child, so this may not work for you, but in this case patience paid off for us. This is an idea I got out of the book 'Positive Discipline'.

HTH,

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)

caleymama
02-24-2004, 12:08 PM
I just wanted to add that Caley will sit down as soon as she is asked to, so one of the reasons I don't mind her standing up if that's what she prefers is that I know she'll follow my directions if I need her to.