PDA

View Full Version : Pack n' Play: Bassinet safety?

eb1
02-21-2004, 05:17 PM
My husband and I just bought the new Graco Pack n' Play 9445 / Dreamer model from Target (sold also as the "Spectator" at BRU). It has a full-length bassinet, which was the primary reason for purchasing it--we'd like to keep the baby in our room for the first few weeks and then tote it to nearby relatives' houses, etc.. However, I'm not thrilled with the construction/design of the bassinet...it doesn't seem sturdy or firm. (Granted, I'm comparing it to our crib which has a very firm mattress.)

Am I being paranoid, or is this a major flaw with this new particular model, or are all the bassinet features sort of flimsy? The pad seems moderately thick, but it doesn't lie completely flat and doesn't seem like it would take much weight to make the bassinet part sag. I'm upset and thinking of returning it, but I can't say I've seen any play yards that seem well constructed in the first place, so maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I did all my research online for this product. Target puts its playards and highchairs up high, which makes them IMPOSSIBLE to examine in the store, so I had to rely on reading reviews of Graco's pack n' plays before purchasing this. I am also disappointed in the folding diaper table feature (a non-folding one seems safer and more versatile--this one can ONLY be used on the play yard, instead of on the floor or elsewhere, as some of the non-folding ones can), but that's my fault for not reading the fine print--I just assumed it was the standard kind.

My husband really wanted an Eddie Bauer/Cosco play yard, but I decided against it because of Cosco's lousy safety ratings. I can't say this Graco model seems like a quality product though.

Sorry for rambling -- am really just looking for reassurance on the bassinet feature.

AngelaS
02-21-2004, 05:38 PM
When I nannied my dd slept in the bassinet daily for about 5 or 6 months. I never felt it was week or unstable. Not overly firm sure, but I thought it was plenty safe. We never had a problem. :D

Marisa6826
02-21-2004, 06:38 PM
We have the Graco PnP in Saratoga plaid with a 3/4 bassinette. It was purchased from BRU.

Because it's suspended from the rails it's not going to be as sturdy as a crib, but it's never been a problem for us.

Sophie slept in it daily for the first 12w.Now that she's older, we've taken it on several long weekends. Sophie even slept in it exclusively for three weeks while we were between homes and now it's set up in the livingroom so I can change dipes without climbing the stairs. She's 14m old and we have no problem with her in it at all.

If you're planning on using it for any extended period of time, and you have doubts without the baby even being here yet, then I suggest finding something you know you will be happy with. It's the little things that start to add up when you're overtired ;)

Good luck and congratulations on your new little one!

-m

sadie427
02-21-2004, 08:22 PM
You probably know this, but the Graco full-length bassinets have a 15 lb wt limit--after that you have to move the mattress to the bottom, even for sleeping. We used ours as a bed for the first few months--it seemed plenty sturdy until he got close to the wt limit, he was also more mobile at that time and he could wiggle the mattress a little. Not the whole pack and play, just the mattress, so it wasn't unsafe but I think it woke him up. All the models I've seen are the same. HTH

jubilee
02-22-2004, 01:52 AM
I have one of the Graco pack and plays with full bassinette and found it to be just fine. Logan used the bassinette in my bedroom for about 16 weeks and he was a heavy baby (9#9oz). It seemed sturdy enough, but it was a 2003 model so maybe there have been changes. Hope it works out for you,

eb1
02-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I know these contraptions are designed for sleeping, so in theory this model should be ok. Maybe after all the reading about the need for a firm mattress to prevent SIDS, I have taken that idea a little overboard.

My husband doesn't want to bother packing this up and returning it, and he thinks it is fine safety-wise, so looks like we may be stuck with it. Thanks for listening!

sarahfran
02-23-2004, 12:53 AM
We used our PnP with 3/4 length bassinet every night for the first 4 mos. We were happy with it. DS reached the height limit (we had to start putting him in there on a diagonal) before he hit the weight limit.

I too was concerned about the stability in the beginning. I actually called Graco after huffing and puffing over it when 8.5 mos pregnant trying to get the "mattress" to lie as flat as possible. They were nice, but basically said "yah, it won't be perfectly flat."

We used a full-length bassinet at a relative's house and found that it was considerably less stable than the 3/4 length. If you're quite concerned, you might consider trading for one with the shorter bassinet.
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

amp
02-23-2004, 12:07 PM
We have a Graco PNP in the French Bear pattern and are totally happy with it. It is not as sturdy as a crib, and I did wonder if it would sag, but to be honest, we kept DS in the bassinet portion past the recommended weight, and it was never a problem. It held him just fine. Never sagged, etc. The mattress did lay flat, though, so I I don't know it we had the same thing as you.