PDA

View Full Version : Little Tykes playhouses or playgrounds

momtoemma
02-22-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a LT playhouse or one of their plastic playground-type toys for my daughter. Does anyone here have the playhouse? Does your child get much use out of it? I definitely think she would enjoy the playground like the 8-in-1 adjustable one. Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

August Mom
02-22-2004, 07:46 PM
We don't have the playhouse. We have the 8-in-1 Adjustable Playground and we love it. (Well, DH doesn't love moving it when mowing, but DS and I think it's great. :)) Actually it really isn't that bad to move. I was concerned that some of the smaller climbers wouldn't give DS enough room to grow and let's face it, all this stuff is pretty pricey. I also liked the idea that more than one child could easily play on it, in case we have a second child or if DS has friends over. I thought it would take DS awhile to get the hang of it, but he was into it immediately. He received this on his 1st birthday, and although he was a little short to climb up, he got the concept of going down the slide immediately. He's still a little on the short side, so we have little Rubbermaid stools on either side of the bridge. He steps on the stool and climbs up on the bridge and then goes down the slide. There isn't a lot of difference in the size of the slides (about 1 foot, I think, but DS preferred the "big" slide immediately). One side is set up like a playhouse, although there aren't prefab decorations or activities inside (no wheel, chalkboard, phone, etc.) There is a little door that DS likes. When he is older, I think we'll put a blanket over the top to make a roof. It is sturdy and DS has a blast. The only thing I don't like is that there are little pockets where the bridge halves snap together and these collect water, dirt and dead bugs. I got a great deal on ours at Meijer. If you can possibly see them in person, I would, just to make sure you have a conception of the size and features and that your DD likes it. Good luck!

pamela mom of 3
02-22-2004, 08:58 PM
We have both, well the playhouse is a step 2 but same idea ;)

The 8-in-1 is neat because you can change it about, i agree about the grass cutting part can be a tad pesty in that department but no worse than any other "object" layed out on the lawn.

I think really just falls down to your space, what you'd like to spend, i think most kids would enjoy either, mine do :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

COElizabeth
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Check out the Step 2 ones, also. We have the tunnel/bridge/clubhouse one - in our living room!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

MelissaTC
02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
We recently bought a used playhouse and DS loves it! We also have a slide (bought that used as well!). DS likes that a lot too. We are hoping to get something he can climb on, etc.. (actually we are hoping Grandma and Grandpa will want to buy that for us). I like the 8 in 1 and the Step 2 set a lot. I think I like the Step 2 set more but that is just me. I think whatever you get, you can't go wrong. My little guy is obsessed with being outside and playing in just about anything or on anything. :)

ShayleighCarsensMom
02-24-2004, 02:23 AM
My DD received the playhouse for her first birthday...it was soo hot that we brought it inside, where it has been for a year and a half...it is in her bedroom with all her baby stuff in it...she is in there several times a day playing, she just loves it. She now has another house for outside and this one inside.

Melanie
02-24-2004, 03:48 AM
We're trying to decide which one to get, too. Dh doesn't want to get the big 8 in 1 b/c of mowing and it will take up our entire tiny yard, but we really don't use the yard for anything else but Ds playing anyway. The other one we're considering is this one...Ds can't really do ladders yet, but I guess he'd learn rather quickly if he had one in his yard. The steering wheel will be a BIG hit.

http://www.littletikes.com/productimages/full/f_4329_A.jpg

It's funny how I started off just wanting one of those folding slides and now I'm thinking about the 8 in 1. Does it have a steering wheel?

August Mom
02-24-2004, 11:39 AM
The 8-in-1 does not have a steering wheel unfortunately. The Step2 climber mentioned above does. DS just went up the ladder this week at 18 months. He still doesn't quite have the hang of it, but I think he'll be climbing like a champ soon.

jenmcadams
02-25-2004, 03:38 PM
(EDITED FOR SPELLING)

We have the Step 2 Woodland Climber. I picked it mainly b/c I thought Abbie would play with it longer (official age range is 2-8, although Abbie started playing on it at 14 months) and b/c it had some playhouse-like features (e.g. Abbie used the area under the platform to hide and store toys, etc.). Quality seems great, it was easy to put together and Abbie plays with it every day. We got ours at Toys 'r Us, so we wouldn't have to pay for shipping, but when I was looking it up for a friend the other day, I found a place that had free shipping (I think it was the sponsored link at the top on Google when I did a search for Step 2 Toys).

Good luck!