PDA

View Full Version : Help in choosing a high chair

C99
02-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Help! We were given an old-fashioned style wooden high chair as a gift. We've been using it dutifully for about 6 months now, but my husband finally told me that he hates it, as do I. It's a PITA to clean, the harness isn't very good and the tray goes over the head. So we agreed to give the wooden one a good spray down with a high-pressure hose and then stick it in the basement, and get a real plastic high chair. But what to get? I have no idea on this stuff, since I skipped this portion when I was reading the BB book initially and I feel completely overwhelmed by the chapter now. Is the FP high chair still a good bet? What about the Baby Trend high chair? I want something durable, suitable for a 1-year-old now, but that will also work for a younger baby down the line, and inexpensive -- no more than $100 or so. Suggestions?

Jeanne
02-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm a Baby Trend fan. I tested the Peg, Chicco, and Baby Trend chair and chose Baby Trend. I've been using it now for two years and am very happy with it.

August Mom
02-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I definitely wouldn't go very expensive because you might not be using it much longer. DS began resisting the highchair at around 15 months and we moved him to a booster chair just before 18 months. I think I would go with the FP Healthy Care or Healthy Care Deluxe if you definitely want another high chair. Alternatively, you could use a travel booster with tray (for around $20-$25) and attach it to an existing chair. The one I have from First Years can be put entirely in the dishwasher. I saw one from FP at BRU the other day that looked really cool too.

amp
02-24-2004, 03:35 PM
We are totally and completely happy with out FP Deluxe Healthy Care HC!

June Mommy
02-24-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question! I am in the process of registering and trying to narrow down my highchair choices. I think I have pretty much eliminated the Chicco Mamma, even though it has been highly recommended to me, simply because it is so expensive. I really don't see anyone buying if off of my registry for me! Which leaves me to choose between the Baby Trend or the FP Healthy Care. I'm leaning toward the Baby Trend, but then the new FP Linkadoos model looks really neat too. I'd love to hear opinions of both of these (and please post what you decide!)

DanielleE
02-24-2004, 05:34 PM
We have the Baby Trend High Chair Tahoe and have been happy with it. I also like the fact that the high chair cover is reversible so I don't have to see teddy bears across the front of it (just a personal preference). I have washed the cover numerous times and it is holding up great.

C99
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
We have the First Year's booster and like it, except that it's too low for him to be level w/ our table. I think the resistance to the chair is dependent on the child; my best friend's 3-y/o still sits in hers (and gets very upset if anyone else sits in it). I guess time will tell which way Nate's going to go.

new_mommy25
02-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Hmm..I have no idea on a highchair as we are in the process of buying one too.

I just wanted to say that after you hose down your chair, instead of sticking it in your basement you should take it down to a resale shop and make yourself a little cash! That is if you don't plan on using it in the future.

new_mommy25
02-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Since we are on the topic..

How big of a deal is it to have wheels on the HC. I saw that Target now has a Healthy Deluxe but it doesn't have wheels. I can't exactly see myself wheeling DS around our tiny kitchen and dining room but then again, those wheels on the crib sure came in handy.

sarahfran
02-25-2004, 02:00 AM
We're in the process of choosing one right now too. We've been using a really old half-broken plastic Playskool one that we were given. It's helped me know what I am looking for in a new chair. My first choice is a Stokke Kinderzeat with aftermarket tray--but that combo is about $325, so really not a viable option. >sigh<

Anyway, after reading the bible (BBB) for pointers, I assumed I'd get the #1 rated FP chair. My mind changed after playing with all the chairs in the stores (yes, I've been to multiple--BRU, Baby Depot, Ikea).
My observations:
1. wheels are a must for us to scoot the chair around (near me while washing dishes, cooking, dining, etc)
2. tray needs to be easy to pull out with one hand--but can't fall off too easily (Baby Trend has fairly short tracks, I found it fell easily when I pulled with one hand)
3. tray needs to be low enough that little baby's not swallowed (Prima Pappa and Evenflo Simplicity both have trouble here)
4. Seat needs to be big enough to allow for growth (sounds like a silly one, but Ikea chairs were just way too small--DS is 6 mos and fit perfectly in the chairs now--no room for growth)
6. Aesthetics do matter. Some chairs really appeal to me, others really don't. I don't want to hate something that takes up a big chunk of volume in my house for 3+ years. (I just really didn't like the look of the Linkadoos new FP chair)
7. Wood is beautiful but darn heavy (matters if you want to move the chair around a lot)
8. Bottom line--if you can get to a store to play with the chairs, do it. You'll probably find that there are factors that matter to you that haven't been discussed by others. Bring your baby if you can. If you can't, you might want to grab a stuffed animal from the shelves and stick it in the chairs as a measure of how they compare.

Still no decision for me. Although I'm leaning toward the Evenflo Simplicity Plus for $80.

Happy shopping!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

Jennymarie
02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I have about 10 cousins who have all had big babies who *sware* by the Chicco Mama, even though it doesn't get great ratings in BB. But the primary reason, I think, for the rating is that the seat is so big and the tray is high. In your case, since baby is already 6 months, you may care more about having something you can use for awhile. I think the Chicco would be perfect for you.

Its normally pretty expensive, but you can get one from indoors and outdoors right now (without the infant insert - but you shouldn't need that) for $104 plus $19 shipping less 5% from the coupon code.

Here's the link:

http://www.indoorsandoutdoors.com/chmahich.html

I've ordered other things from them in the past and I've been pretty happy with the service. I would get this seat myself if it had the infant insert.

C99
02-25-2004, 11:22 AM
I can't get rid of it. It was a gift from my husband's grandfather. He usually either makes or finds a vintage highchair to refurb for each child, depending on what they ask for. I asked for a refurbed one, but he couldn't find anything and we got this one instead. In a way, I'm glad because I feel a lot better about not using it knowing that he didn't spend a lot of time on it.

C99
02-25-2004, 11:24 AM
It says it is sold out.

Jennymarie
02-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Oh - sorry! I wonder why they don't remove it from the site?

I'd keep searching on the net for this chair though. I recall buying on for a friends shower online and I think I got it for $120 or so - definitely cheaper than what they're selling in the stores.

Good luck!

brigmaman
02-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Caroline, We have the Graco Neatseat at our house and my parents, and we have the FP Healthy Care at my inlaws. I am sure that people will disagree with me, but I love our Graco. It's not as chic looking as the Chicco or Pegs, it is white plastic with a fabric seat cover. It has wheels, reclines, and is easy to clean. There aren't a ton of places for dirt to get stuck. It was about $80 a few years ago.
I also love the FP. It too has wheels and a recline feature.
Now that Brig is older (and pretty big!) he fits better in the Graco. The FP looks very cozy for smaller babies, though. I also like that the FP folds for storage. The Graco doesn't.
HTH

calebsmama03
02-26-2004, 12:27 AM
I have the Babytrend and really like it. I have the one with the blue reversible cushion (forgot the name, but it's just plain checks/plaids) and mine is the older model that doesn't have the snap in tray insert. Although it is annoying to shove the whole tray in the sink and I'd love to have the newer style tray for that reason, I'm really happy with my chair. The adjustments are easy to work and the tray comes off/on easily (but not too easily, as one other poster suggested). DS is pretty small and the height is good for him. The "crotch bar" is attached to the chair and not the tray, which is nice, too. I also like that I can story the tray on the back of the chair easily. Also nice that it *looks* fancy like the big names, but cost about half their price. I'm really happy with it!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

heidi_timms
02-26-2004, 02:08 AM
I love the FP Healthy Deluxe. It has three trays that can go in the dishwasher and reduces the cleaning time because you can throw on in the dishwasher with the dishes and pull out a new one and voila! DD is a 50th percentile baby and the tray distance is perfect as well.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03