PDA

View Full Version : Baby Health/Grooming kit?

June Mommy
02-24-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm in the process of registering, and was wondering about those baby health and/or grooming kits. It seems like everyone registers for them, but are they really necessary? I have been reading reviews of several different ones, and lots of people seem to think they are a waste and never use some of the products. The consensus seems to be that many of the products are given to you in the hospital, and that you should just buy the few items that are really needed seperately. That being said, there are a couple that I did see that had better reviews.
The First Years Deluxe Baby Healthcare and Grooming Kit
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_11/601-4798041-0940164?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0000YVC4Y

Deluxe Grooming Kit by Safety 1st
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004D3EL/qid=1077656551/br=1-3/ref=br_lf_ba_3//002-7887259-6616050?v=glance&s=baby&n=542402

Should I register for one of these kits, or just pick out the things that I really need individually? If so, which individual items are most needed? It seems things like nail clippers/files/scissors and a rectal thermometer are the ones most mentioned. Thanks!

amp
02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
If you can find a kit that has what you need, by all means, register for it. The ones we saw had stuff we didn't care about added in. Also, it depends what your hospital sends home with you. Ours sent us home with a bulb syringe and a hairbrush (really the brush side of what docs use to scrub up with, with the soapy side removed), but we bought a thermometer and nail clippers. That is all we needed.

JustMare
02-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I received this kit at my baby shower:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UC6D/ref=ba_br_v_a9//102-4549301-5954548?v=glance&s=baby&me=A1F83G8C2ARO7P

I thought it was the nicest set. Have I used it yet? Only for the nail files! :)

The hospital sent us home with a thermometer, hair brush and nose bulb.

I think it's nice to have a set, but not a necessecity.

August Mom
02-24-2004, 07:17 PM
We have the Safety 1st kit and I love it. I would definitely register for it and here's why: you get a case to contain all of those little items. I can't tell you how easy it is for them to get misplaced, so I love having his items all in one place. I really like the hairbrush and comb. And, when DS was little, I used scissors to trim his nails and then filed them. When he got older, I began using clippers. I think it's really nice and not super expensive. BTW, we only got a bulb syringe and comb from the hospital, so not much duplication.

new_mommy25
02-24-2004, 09:28 PM
I didn't buy one and I'm glad I didn't because a lot of the stuff seems unnecassary. I bought the little Winnie the Pooh hairbrush and comb set from Target and some Nail Clippers. It think I have some from The First YEars and another one by Safety First. They both do the job. nail filing was a pita to me and didn't seem to work as good as a clipper (the trick is to wait until they're asleep). They send you home from the hospital with a bulb syringe which I have used approximatly once. However I do have a friend whos baby gets a lot of colds and she uses her syringe constantly, so ya never know. Oh and a rectal themometer. We have one by the First years and it is so inaccurate. I went out and bought a much better one. They are only around 6-8 bucks. You don't have to buy it in the baby section. Go to the medicine section of Target or wherever you are shopping and you will see many different brands often at a better price.