PDA

View Full Version : Anybody owns a LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set?

boys2enough
02-25-2004, 01:03 AM
I saw this on-line and am thinking of getting one. Our TRU does not stock it for some reason. Before I spend more money on toys that we probably don't need, lol, would LOVE to hear what people have to say. Is it worth it? Or the old-fashioned $3 a bag of fridge alphabets is just as good? TIA! Lin

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000096QNK/qid=1077683975/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_t_img_2//102-9033341-7084104?v=glance&n=642874&s=imaginarium&m=A1PA6795UKMFR9

jubilee
02-25-2004, 01:22 AM
I got one for my 2 year old neice for Christmas and was told she loves it. It says the letters and sings the alphabet song. My SIL says she likes that it says the letters. And the magnets hold to the metal better than the $3 version. I found it at Target fro $17. But I don't have personal experience with it, so hopefully someone else will respond

August Mom
02-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Here's a link to the discussion about them that took place on the Toddler board. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=46&topic_id=328&mesg_id=328&page=

We have them and like them. If possible, though, you should play with them IRL to see if the music bothers you. We bought ours at Target.

brigmaman
02-25-2004, 08:45 AM
I have to rave about these. Ds loves them. I pretty much just got used to the sounds.
I know this sounds silly and there are lots of contributing factors (such as his LOVE of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom) but ds knows most of his letters. I don't know if that's WHY he loves the fridge magnets, or if the fridge magnets helped him learn his letters. Either way...

etwahl
02-25-2004, 03:46 PM
is 2 an accurate age for starting these?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Probably close. Colin just got these as a gift and has some interest in them, but isn't fascinated yet. But we are just starting to expose him to the idea of letters (like by tracing the letters of the alphabet with our fingers when we read his alphabet book, and helping him write on a foggy window with his finger) so maybe he'll enjoy them sooner than age 2.

Colin can definitely put the letters in the holder and press the musical buttons already!!

sbaker
02-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I got ours at Target. DS loves, loves, loves it. He likes it so much I had to get a second one for my parents refrigerator. I don't find the music to be very annoying and my 2 year old is starting to know his letters. Very cool!

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

August Mom
02-26-2004, 08:36 PM
I think that 15 months - 18 months would be an appropriate age to start playing with the magnets, pushing the buttons and taking the letters in and out of the base. After that, learning the letters can take place.

gour0
02-26-2004, 11:04 PM
My nephew really likes this. He is 2 and I think has some speach delays. But, he is starting to really immitate words and likes to immitate this toy. I'm thinking about getting one now!

lisams
02-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Juat today DD put the "b" in and started saying the "b" sound. She also pointed to the "o" and said "o", so all of this time she has been taking it in, and I thought she was just having fun pushing them around on the fridge and dancing to the music! We got them for her when she was 12 months, she's 16 months now.

Lisa

boys2enough
02-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your reviews. :) I bought one from Target today. I didn't know there is only ONE song... Yes, some of you are right in saying that some people may go nuts hearing the same song over and over again. lol. DS (15 mo) is only interested in getting every single one of the alphabets off the fridge right now. If he doesn't learn to do something else with them soon, I may have to put this toy away for a while. But I like the fact that the magnets are BIG and sturdy, doesn't seem like they will be dangerous for little kids. The magnets on the $3-a-bag alphabets do come off if you are not careful.

Cheers, Lin

August Mom
02-27-2004, 05:51 PM
You may not want to put all the magnets out at first. DS liked to take them off the refrigerator too, so I only put out 5 at a time.

Momof3Labs
02-27-2004, 10:17 PM
That's what I did too - I put the five letters in Colin's name on the fridge, and that's it, or we'd be tripping over all 26 all the time!