PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a video monitor for a big house?

Jennymarie
02-25-2004, 11:56 AM
I really want a video monitor. Our nursery is in a far corner of the house, on the opposite side of the house from the stairway, and this house is over 3000 sqft. Anything I can do to save myself a trip or two to "check in" on baby will be a huge help.

Which monitor has the best reach - Summer or Safety First?

bluepinkzoo
02-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi!

Do a search for "video monitor" and you'll find my post which compares the Safety 1st Sight and Sound Assurance and the Summer Infant I recently tried out. Both of these are 900 mhz.

I can get two Summer Infant units (2 cameras and 2 monitors--a portable audio unit is available through the company for an additional cost) for $200 or the Safety 1st Sight and Sound Assurance (1 camera, 1 monitor, & 1 portable audio unit) for $149. It will be less if you can get the 10% off at ToysRUs. BTW, ToysRUs gave me 10% off on EACH of the Summer Infant.

Personally, I think I will be keeping the Summer. However, we have a small, one-level house so distance isn't an issue. The Summer has a range up to 60-65 feet, I think. I'd rather have the shorter range so others can't pick up the audio on cordless devices that most own. The Safety 1st I tried out says it has a range up to 300 ft.

I'd like to reviews too. Please post back and let us know what you pick and why.

:) with baby girl due in April

DDowning
02-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I have a 2 story, 2800 sft house, and have the Summer. In fact, I'm using it right now, as DS is napping in our bed (don't ask, its the only place he will sleep during the day) while I'm on the computer. I only wish that I had 2 monitors as I have to drag the unit down to the kitchen when I'm down stairs. That being said, the monitor component picks up everything on the Summer. We have an intercom in our house that's pretty good - I'd say the audio portion on the Summer is even better. Heck, right now, I can hear him doing his little nasally snore that he does.

The one thing though that I did find annoying with the Summer is that the "eyeball" component has this green light on it to indicate that its working, basically allowing you to check on the baby at night. I found it cast this hideous green shadow on him when he was sleeping in his crib and it interferred with sleeping so I only use it during the day when he's in our bed. Oh, another thing is that I got perfect reception everywhere else in the house; however, I could not use the monitor in my room because of cordless phone. This is weird because I place the monitor in my kitchen which is also next to the phone there and it works fine, so go figure. I don't know how the Safety 1st one is with this but you may want to consider this in eliminating your choices.