PDA

View Full Version : The (chicco) Mammas and the (prima) Pappas

Jharpaz
02-25-2004, 01:26 PM
I know neither is recommended by BB, but with the FP Healthy Care deluxe becoming more and more elusive (Target discontinued- Sears and Baby Depot seem to have it) and that I really don't like the new Linkadoos, which is more $ anyway, I'm considering going up to the CM or PP since my SIL had a PP and was happy with it and she's buying it for us.

I love the PP Country Sun just for looks and style, but have some questions...

1) Baby Bargains says both the CM and the PP seat the baby so deeply away from the tray, but people still seem to love these chairs. BRU reviews are good. Is this a problem for you?
2) Baby Bargains also says the PP only folds in the highest position. We'd want to fold it, and that would be a real pain. Or is it?
2) Baby Bargains also also says the guard to keep the baby from sliding out under the tray in chair-mounted on the PP (like in the photo) but tray-mounted in the CM. I'd think if you lowered the CM chair, you'd create more space for baby to slide out. Is this a problem (if we decide not to go with the PP if it doesn't fold easily).

TIA

Judith

cuca_
02-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Judith -

We have the Chicco Mamma for DD and absolutely love it. I actually got it because at the time it was the one that Baby Bargains recommended.

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) I don't mind the space between baby and chair. This was never much of a problem. DD is 9 mos. now, and we don't really have this issue anymore. In fact, the CM comes with an infant insert which I just took out.

2) I don't know about the PP, but the CM folds at every position, the only problem is that you can't really hang the tray from the back if you fold it at the lowest position. For whatever it's worth I have never used the chair in it's lowest setting.

3) As you say, the guard in the CM is mounted on the tray, not on the chair. However, the space between the tray and the chair is always the same, despite the height you choose, because the tray is attached to the arms of the chair which as a result move when you change position. (Don't know if this is clear). Basically, the whole thing slides on the legs when you change heights, so there is no extra space between the chair and the tray. So it is not a problem. Some people prefer the guard on the chair because they say it provides security from falling, I always strap DD in, so it does not really matter to me where the guard is. I have also heard that some people prefer the guard on the tray, because it makes it easier for older babies to climb in and out of it by themselves. I think either works fine.

In sum, I think the PP and the CM are very similar. I know people who have the PP and love it, and as I said before I love the CM. So you would be making a good choice either way.

HTH

Carmen

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 03:56 PM
We have the PP and wouldn't waste our money on it again. It is hard to clean (food gets stuck in all kind of cracks and crevices), the tray sits too high (so Colin's sleeves get all gross), and the tray sits too far from Colin (a lapful of food to match his sleeves). It folds, but only in the highest position (though I don't know why this is a big deal - it's not hard to move it to the highest position), but I don't know what to do with the tray when it is folded - there is nowhere to store the tray on the high chair.

I do like the style of the double tray on the PP and REALLY like having the guard on the chair instead of the tray (so the tray sits flat on our table) but that's about it. I was happy the day that Colin boycotted the high chair and gladly moved him to a booster seat!

gisele
02-25-2004, 04:34 PM
I have the PP in tan leatherette.

Regarding how far the baby sits from the tray - I have not found this to be an issue. Mostly because when my son was smaller, he wasn't really eating solids, just sitting at the table with us. He was about 11 pounds then and 4 months old. Today he is 18 pounds and 28 inches long, and eats plenty of solids. The tray is not far at all from him, and he fits fine in the chair.

I don't know why they say the PP only folds in the highest position. When I fold the chair, I put the seat upright, lower it, and then fold the stand. The seat is in the lowest position.

I prefer to have the guard attached to the chair, like the PP so if you don't use the tray, it helps keep the baby in.

If you are concerned with food getting caught in the chair, there is a nylon cover that fits over the chair, covering the crevices. However, I haven't had to use it at all yet, and find the chair easy to clean.

I considered getting the FP chair, but I didn't like how only the back tilted. In the PP, the whole chair rotates when you recline - that's more comfortable for baby and helps support the back when they are younger (I think this is the reason why the PP has the crevice). The foot rests also move with the seat. The chairs really are NOT the same.

Everyone I know who has a baby got the PP chair and loves it - both my friends and relatives. I think a high chair is one of those purchases where you really need to test drive with the baby. Not all babies are the same size and shape and some fit in better than others. My son loves his PP chair, and didn't like the FP one in the store.

JMO

trumansmom
02-25-2004, 05:06 PM
We also have a Chicco and love it. Carmen did a pretty good job answering your questions, but I just wanted to add that a Baby Bjorn bib, or some other hard plastic bib with a "trough" also helps with the distance between the baby and the tray.

After almost 2 years use, my Chicco tray recently popped a spring. I called their customer service and promptly got a new tray in the mail. They offered to contact a local store so I could pick it up immediately instead of sending it to me, but ironically, the tray broke the weekend we were moving DS to a booster anyway. In the past, some people have had problems with their customer service, but the person I dealt with was extremely responsive and helpful.

HTH-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

JenCA
02-25-2004, 08:24 PM
We have the PP and love it! I've not noticed any problems with DD sitting further away from the tray. We haven't folded it up yet (we just keep it out in our dining room), so I can't comment on having to fold it with the seat in the highest position. And I do like having the guard on the chair--it seems safer to me. The double tray on the PP is awesome, too. I would definitely recommend this chair.

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Are you feeding mostly finger foods right now, or is your baby mostly self-feeding? The tray distance doesn't become an issue until baby is controlling most of the food!

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 10:25 PM
How old is your baby? I think that this chair becomes more bothersome as your baby gets older and the food goes everywhere during meals.

gisele
02-26-2004, 02:26 AM
My baby is 10 months old.

I don't know what model PP you had, but the chair can be stored with the tray. The tray just folds down.

This chair really isn't bothersome - we like it a lot and there's no distance problem from the tray. And my baby is at 50% height, 15-25% weight.

As I mentioned before, there is a cover that can go over the whole chair if you really feel you have a problem with crevices, but I haven't had to use it yet. The chair wipes pretty easily.

MinnieMouse
02-26-2004, 10:09 AM
My dd is now 2.5yo and we have the CM for her and really like it. Carmen really answered your questions well...I just wanted to add...

1. Dd was tiny but long and the infant insert was a godsend for her. I think she used it until she was almost 1yo. I didn't find any problem with the distance between dd and the tray. We always used bibs with a pouch on them once she started w/ finger foods.

2. We don't have the PP so I can't answer to that... but the CM folds in any position...and we really utilized the height adjustments on the CM. Lowest setting in the LR if we ate in there, a bit higher out on the patio during the summer and highest level in the kitchen for everyday. The wheels are a big plus as well since we use it all over the house.

3. "I" prefer the guard on the tray. There definitely is something to be said about allowing an older child to climb "up" into the chair by themselves. Our tray is the old style w/o the double tray option, so we battle with the tray in the sink each meal and I still prefer the guard on the tray. It's a no brainer for me if you have the double tray option.

We are quite happy with the CM. Cleaning any chair can be a pain depending on the meal. We don't have much of a problem wiping down the chair with a Clorox wipe and then hitting the chair with the hose as needed.

HTH

Christine

Jennymarie
02-26-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't have much to add, except that I agree that BB's poor evaluation of these seats is inconsistent with what I've heard from so many people. Several of my family members with big babies have the CM. I bought it for a friend on their recommendation, and she loved it even though her kid has always been 25% for height and weight. On the height of the tray and the space between the baby and the tray - my friend with a smaller kid said that she just rolled up a towel and put it under her kids butt to elevate her a little (which also helps a bit with cleaning). And now that the baby is bigger, she loves that the chair still fits.

She also loves the wheels. Its her practice to roll the baby into the doorway of the bathroom so she can take a shower while keeping an eye on her.

lukkykatt
02-26-2004, 12:36 PM
ITA with what everyone has said about the CM. We have a 2000 model, which has lasted me through 2 babies, and still going strong. Chicco sent me the post to attach onto the tray (mine originally did not come like that) and the infant insert. We love it and have had no problems at all. My older son was in the 90th percentile, and my younger son was much smaller - probably from the 50th and at times down to the 20th percentile. When they were in the self-feeding novice stage, I used a long sleeved Baby Bjorn bib.

Cleaning the HC has never been a problem for me. Yes, it has crevices, but I just use a wet paper towel and use my fingernail to guide it along. I am not someone who looks for additional things to clean, and I am telling you, it is really no problem at all. So far, one time in 4 years I put the HC in the tub and used hot water in the shower and let it sit there for about 5 or 10 minutes and then wiped it down - perfect!

Also, the great thing about it is that I am now using it without the tray as a booster seat. Since the bar is on the tray, DS can climb into the seat by himself, and I have lowered the seat to the height of the table.

When you compare it to the PP, just take into consideration your child's size. The CM seat is significantly wider than the PP, which is why I ended up getting that one.

JacksMommy
02-26-2004, 07:01 PM
I had the CM and would not buy it again. It worked fine but was a PITA to clean and just seems like too much money. Although I will say that my DS liked when he could climb up and sit in it himself (so thumbs up for the seat bar on the tray). However, he boycotted it a few months ago - for something that was used barely more than a year $150 was way too much, IMO. My daycare provider uses a Safety First Fold n Go and I don't see where that wouldn't work just as well. I'd save your MIL's money for a Stokke.

Good luck with your decision

Laurel
Mama to Jack, 6/4/02

Thatchermom
02-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Have the PP and love it. It does have its cleaning issues, but so has every other chair I have used. We have a dustbuster right next to where DS eats that has a "crevice tool" and use it after meals to clean it out. I was originally torn between the CM and the PP, as I was afraid that the bar on the seat would make it too hard for DS to climb in by himself. At 2.5, he uses the bar every time to climb in - like the horn on a saddle.

ShayleighCarsensMom
02-27-2004, 02:52 AM
You can fold the tray with the highchair. Pull out the tray until you see the red dots on the crossbars, then under the tray (on the seat) push the number 1 and then the number 2 and the tray will fold up and into the seat.
I love my PP. The tray is a little high when they are eating jarred food, but by the time both kids were old enough to start solids they were fine (and my DS is "petite"...poor guy!!!)

JenCA
02-27-2004, 03:57 AM
Right now, Mama's controlling the food (well, DD grabs the spoon and attempts to feed herself, but usually ends up feeding her hair ;) ). Excellent point.

smomom
02-27-2004, 03:30 PM
as you've noticed, a high chair is one of those products we all have own opinions about.

I have a PP and absolutely love it! We've been using it for a year and it still looks brand new. I have absolutely no complaints about it. I would buy it again in a heart beat!