PDA

View Full Version : Baby Einstein DVD, Chinese version

grokicki
02-26-2004, 12:49 PM
I noticed there are Asian versions Baby Einstein DVD's on sale on EBay. I am interested in this version as it has captioning and I have a hearing disability. They have spoken English/Chinese/Korean and Subtitles in English/Chinese/Korean or Off. I spoke to Baby Einstein customer service about this and they said they license it to other countries for distribution but they are in the 'discussion' stage of offering captioning in the US.

Does anyone have experience with these versions? I would really like to have the captioning so I can understand what my baby is hearing.

Thanks

snp624
02-26-2004, 01:33 PM
If that DVD is sold in China, and you are in US, you probably can't play that DVD with your DVD player because of region encoding. The DVD players sold in US can only play DVDs with region 1 encoding. According to Amazon faq section, encoding for China is 6... Here is a link to Amazon that explains about encoding...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/help/dvd-vhs-format-no-links.html/102-5062844-6459351

This is very annoying for me, because I would buy Japanese DVDs for my DD, but it won't work with our dvd player here in the US :(

hth!

ETA - I just looked up US version of Baby Einstein DVD on Amazon and it says "All region" for the encoding. If this is the case with Chinese version, you should be able to play it. I looked up Japanese version on the Japanese Amazon site, but they only had imported US ones, so I don't know how Baby Einstein company encodes their DVDs targeting other countries. I'm sure you can contact the seller and ask...

boys2enough
02-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes, I agree that you need to be careful about the regional encoding thing. We bought some DVDs when we were in Taiwan last year. DH was afraid that our DVD player at home wouldn't be able to read them, so we brought home with us a cheapo $30 DVD player as well. It broke in 3 months. lol. But later we got a cheapo DVD player (made in Asia) here at Target, and it can play all the DVDs from Taiwan. (I am not sure whether this is true, but I was told that for some reason, cheapo DVD players actually are able to play DVDs from Asia).

In addition, thank you for bringing this up. I didn't even know they have Chinese versions of these, I would love to buy some for DS2 since we are doing the "One parent, one language" thing. I am actually going back to Taiwan this March, if you'd like, I can bring some back for you if I happen to see any. Just e-mail me off the board. :)

Cheers, Lin

grokicki
02-26-2004, 03:03 PM
The DVD's are all region encoding so they will work (so the vendor tells me). They are also very inexpensive on Ebay. The 10 packs are going for $60.00. I'm trying to find out if anyone has the Asian version so I can ask some specific questions about the captioning.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-26-2004, 05:12 PM
There is very little speaking on them, it is mostly music. What would be subtitled?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hellokitty1
02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Lin,

Was going to email you but couldn't since your profile is disabled.

I might be interested in some Chinese speaking DVDs as well, though Karen's comment is true that there is very little speaking in most of the videos. But I wonder if the more "advanced" Einsteins like the language ones have more speaking. When exactly are you going? You can send me a PM. Thanks.

boys2enough
02-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi, there Vivina,

I PMed you the other day, just wondering whether you received it or not. But anyway, we will be there the last 2 weeks of March. Let me know if you'd like me to bring some DVDs back for you.

A Crazy idea: a friend of mine told me that in Taiwan, they have chinese versions of Wiggles. Not translation or dubbing, but actual 4 Chinese men singing Wiggles songs in Chiense. How wild is that? If this is true, I would say that the Wiggles HQ is very smart in "authorizing" individual versions of the Wiggles in different countries.. . I am going to look for these Chinese Wiggles DVDs when I am there. Cheers, Lin

stillplayswithbarbies
02-28-2004, 11:30 AM
> I am interested in this version as it has
>captioning and I have a hearing disability.

I just now realized why you want the Chinese version, it's just for the captioning, right? The regular English versions have captioning too, I'm pretty sure. I somehow got the captions turned on by mistake once on mine.

I thought I'd finally get to understand what the little girl says just before she says "you mean I'm not the star anymore", but I wasn't paying attention and missed it!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03