PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Zooper Peas & Carrots high chair?

Vajrastorm
02-28-2004, 06:10 PM
I just bought the Baby Trend high chair, but now I'm second guessing myself. (It is still in the box) I always liked what little I heard about the Zooper, but it is expensive and I haven't heard enough to be confident the money is worth it.

Have any of you had personal experience with the P&C?

westchicagomom
02-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Andrie, after much research and web-surfing for high chairs, we decided to get the Peas and Carrots (although never saw it IRL). We have been using it on and off for about a month (haven't fed her too much cereal yet - use it mostly as a place for her to sit when I'm making dinner) and all the negatives people bring up on these boards are true, but we still like it.

DD is big for her age (was 27 inches and 16 lbs at 4 months), but the chair is still a bit large for her. There is a bit of a gap between her and the tray, so when she starts to feed herself it will get messy (Baby Bjorn and Bumkins bibs are on the way!). The vinyl wipes up easy, but there are some crevices to clean. It does not roll well on hardwood floors. I love the basket underneath, but if you plan on folding it up, that might be a problem. The snack tray comes off and I believe is dishwasher-safe, but the main tray has the big "thing" (can't think of the name- but whatever prevents the child from submarining) on it so it can be difficult to wash. Others have mentioned that the cupholders are too small. I don't think DD will be able to kick the tray off. One thing I definitely don't like that I never saw mentioned was that you can't adjust the height of the shoulder straps. We don't use that part of the 5-pt right now because it wouldn't work with her current height.

That said, it is a very cool looking chair (it looks somewhat like the BRU Chicco Mamma)and very sturdily built. I would buy it again (for $149, not $189 as one site was advertising!). It was difficult to find - only a few on-line places stocked the black and I couldn't find a place in the Chicago area that had it. I was a little hesitant to get it since Zooper said they were releasing a new high chair but I wanted it a month ago and I am glad I didn't wait since they have been so slow to release their 2004 products. I just looked at the new one on-line today and I think the only thing they changed was they added some new colors (not a positive change IMO). And it looks like the black doesn't have an all gray tray anymore which is part of what makes it look so cool. You don't mention why you are second guessing the Baby Trend one - but if you can live w/ the negatives of the P&C and like the new colors(not available till mid-April) or can find a deal on the old models, then I would recommend it.

Sorry this is so long, but HTH!

Vajrastorm
03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
What is it about being a mom that makes me so neurotically indecisive?

Now I'm thinking about the Chicco Mama. (Still considering the zooper too)

I think I want vinyl, which the Baby T doesn't have.

Off to do a search on Chicco M

JacksMommy
03-04-2004, 04:39 PM
If money is an issue for you, then I can't think of a reason why any highchair would be worth as much as the Chicco and the P&C cost! We had the Chico mamma and found it an amazing waste of money, especially because DS refused to use it after he was 16 months old.
The main purpose of a high chair, in my view, is to keep baby safe and to keep his/her mess somewhat contained. So a chair that is hard to clean (like the Chicco) basically defeats half the purpose of the chair! Although of course I understand wanting a cool-looking chair since it does have to be part of your dining area for the next year or so...

Just my two cents!

Laurel
Mama to Jack, 6/4/02