PDA

View Full Version : what age for sidewalk chalk, crayons, etc.?

sntm
03-05-2004, 11:17 AM
will jack be okay for summer? he is a "mouther."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

emmiem
03-05-2004, 11:43 AM
My DD is 3 and we use crayons but she would rather peel off the paper than color for any lenght of time! We will start playing with chalk as soon as it warms up. It really depends on your child. My first daughter at 3 was already drawing detailed pictures.
Michele

momma_boo
03-05-2004, 11:51 AM
You might want to be vigilant on which products you use. I think Toys R us recalled their sidewalk chalk b/c it had lead in it.

pamela mom of 3
03-05-2004, 01:03 PM
tricky, my son can still be a little pest with crayons.he likes snapping them x(

Sidwalk chalk is tricky i find the silly stuff stains like crazy on the clothes, since easter is coming up again one good type my son has had about to play with because of the older sisters are the crayola eggs..they even come in an egg carton, it's non toxic and bigger not as easy to put in ones mouth as the sticks are however i know when ds was that little he bit many a chunk out of them lol much of coarse to my girls yells ;)

Certainly try, i always stick to crayola i always worry about the eating factors with little ones, as long as you are right there if eating it all becomes most the attention paid to the crayons & chalk then you know it's too soon and put it away till fall. I also know crayola make a "my first crayon" very chunky, larger the smaller ones will snap like toothpicks with little ones.

GL! oh and be prepared for everything to be colored ...sigh

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

cara1
03-05-2004, 04:47 PM
LOL about everything being colored. DS loves his bath crayons, but it's hard to explain now why he can't use his regular crayons on the kitchen cabinets, etc. The poor kid, the inconsistent rules we have!

houseof3boys
03-05-2004, 11:47 PM
You are correct about the recall! I read it the other day and I couldn't believe it.

luvbeinmama
03-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Try a MagnaDoodle to start with. I know it is recommended for older children, but my DD has loved it for a long time now. She has gotten into crayons & stuff long before DS ever did, and I think the availability of the MagnaDoodle is part of that. Of course, it may just be a personality thing. With the MagnaDoodle, they don't even have to press, just drag the thing across the toy, and it makes a mark. It is one of her fav car toys, too. I still don't really give DD crayons unless under good supervision, because she still chews on them, but sidewalk chalk is fine for her. She is almost 17 months old, though. HTH!