PDA

View Full Version : matchbox cars for a 1 year old?

etwahl
03-10-2004, 05:01 PM
i was just wondering what the thoughts are around this? i looked at them at the store and i think the age was 3+ or something. i know a freidn of mine gives them to her son who's 16 months old and he LOVES them. i know this is a boy thing, but whenever we go to the coffee shops and book shops around here that have a little train table and matchbox cars, lauren immediately lunges for them and wants to mouth them. i stop her since they are public toys, but i was wondering about the safety of getting her a couple of these toys? or if they are no good, any suggestions for a safer alternative?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
03-10-2004, 05:18 PM
How about some of the Little People cars? If she's putting them in her mouth, then I would definitely wait.

HTH,

etwahl
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
that's a good idea. do they make really small cars? i have one that fits two people (or one person and a cat!) is that what you're talking about beth?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

pritchettzoo
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
I haven't seen a Matchbox car in years (since I babysat in high school), so they may have changed the design, but as I remember them, they had small wheels which could come off the "axle" of the car. I'd think the wheels would be a choking hazard.

I've seen larger trucks and cars made for babies, so she might enjoy those (if she's into pushing things around) and you wouldn't have to worry about small parts. I know Little Tykes makes some, but I can't think of any specifically.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

pamela mom of 3
03-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Yeah my son did, only because his sisters had them and well hard to keep little fingers off of things sometimes ;)

They are not really the best for young ones, we have more hot wheels than matchbox but really they are the same thing. My son has bent the axel's on them but never done anything more....he's been playing with them for years now..

If you watched carefully{which i am sure you always do} they could be "ok" just not a toy you could leave them with out of your site at the younger age range.

I do know tho their are some smaller car options...i have a few i'll need to do some looking :)

ETA: i cannot attach anything right now but if you go to
http://www.mastermindtoys.com

Then choose "baby" then go to tolo, they have some cars that are safe for 6mths + they are a bit bigger than the matchbox cars etc but we have some and my DS likes them, he's a HUGE matchbox/hotwheels fan ;)
Edit again lol,
Hopefully this link will work...
http://sactoys.com/detail.asp?PID=2127&CurrentPage=

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

Momof3Labs
03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Colin has quite a few, but he's pretty much past the mouthing stage. And he only plays with them when we are around, plus we pick ones that don't have lots of little pieces to come off. The Thomas wooden railway train cars are generally for ages 2+ (which means no choking hazard - choking hazards mean that a toy MUST be ages 3+), so you could go with those instead. And cars and trains are only boy toys to you - Lauren doesn't know the difference!

Colin loves fist-sized toys that roll - trucks, trains, cars, whatever - so maybe that is an idea for a toy for Lauren!

egoldber
03-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Yes, those are the ones I was thinking of. But I like Pamela's idea better. :) And come to think of it, I think I've seen them at TJ Maxx and Marshalls occasionally.

HTH,

Andrea S
03-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Those are too cute.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Kimberly H
03-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Tammy, I love Lauren's new avatar! I was just thinking last night while reading posts that Lauren must be so big now. You must've read my mind!

etwahl
03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
thanks Kimberly! you're so sweet!!! i love mia's pic too. so happy :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

mharling
03-11-2004, 12:34 AM
Pamela -
Those are cute!!! Just as an FYI for anyone interested, I have preciously ordered from Sac Toys and had a good experience.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03