PDA

View Full Version : What is your dd/ds's favorite book and how old is he/she?

mharling
03-14-2004, 01:28 PM
I thought it would be fun to see what the current favorites are. Hopefully we can discover some new books!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

mharling
03-14-2004, 01:29 PM
I'll start. :)

Lane is just over 11 months and LOVES Pat the Bunny. He digs through his book basket until he finds it and loves to sit flipping through the pages and doing the various activities. This is one of two books he will sit still for.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

caleymama
03-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Caley is 18 months old and loves:

Fish Wish -- by Bob Barner
She LOVES this book!! She loves to find the fish on each page, point out and name the other sea creatures, and it was because of this book that I got a question right while watching Jeopardy a couple of weeks ago :) It has bright, unique illustrations and the story is almost a poem.

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush -- no author but it's a Child's Play board book with holes (Annie Kubler is the illustrator)
This has cute illustrations and it's a neat concept.

The Little Red Hen -- A Little Golden Book Classic

There are a lot more that she enjoys but these are in the main rotation lately.

egoldber
03-14-2004, 04:06 PM
DD is 2 1/2 and her current favs are:

ANY Maisy book by Lucy Cousins
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff (and anything in that series)
Hop on Pop

peanut4us
03-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't know... Sara still thinks that books are for eating, so I don't let her handle them much right now. Everynight we read some "kiddie" scriptures and then goodnight moon. She loves the last page! Always smiles and giggles.

As for other stories, she likes anything I read to her, where it's "ok" for her to roam. I've taken to sitting on the floor facing the couch and propping the book on hte back of the couch. Then I can read and she can wander up and lean on the couch and look at the pictures WITHOUT reaching out to destroy them. She usually wanders around a lot. But she always comes back.

I was wondering one day if it was even worth it because she seemed to not be paying attention at all. Anyway, when I was done with one story, I stopped and she looked up from where she was playing with this look on her face like "go on; story time isn't over" so I pulled out another book and started to read. She smiled and returned to playing. So I know somehting is going on up there!

Momof3Labs
03-14-2004, 04:29 PM
It changes day to day but today's hits seem to be...

The Eye Book (from the Dr. Seuss series)
The Nose Book (from the Dr. Seuss series)
Curious George and the Dump Truck (from the weekly reader deal)
Dolphins (from the weekly reader deal)
Frogs (from the weekly reader deal)
Koalas (from the weekly reader deal)
Dogs (Baby Einstein little book)

And almost anything with a fire truck. Curious George has been a hit lately, too - Colin loves the drawing of George in his pajamas.

Yes, we read a LOT of books every day, and Colin pretty much sits still through all of them! He's 17.5 months old.

TaChapm2
03-14-2004, 04:32 PM
DS all time favorite book is Cow Moo Me. We read this at least 15 times a day. This book came in through a book club. I didn't want to keep it but DS took to it right away. Glad we gave it a try.

He also loves Brown Bear Brown Bear. He loves looking at the amimals and finding their nose, eyes and mouth. I am amazed that of all his toys (an we have a lot) he goes to his books first. DH can't figure it out but I am thrilled that he has taken on my love of reading. He always has his books out but these get read many many time through out the day.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

kaitlinsmommy
03-14-2004, 05:41 PM
DD is 15 months & loves Happy Baby Words (Priddy book) and the Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle.

She only wanted to eat the books until about a month ago. Now she takes my hand, opens it & puts a book in it. It is such a joy!

Also, she only likes the board books. We have tons of other books and she's just not interested now.

wendmatt
03-14-2004, 10:21 PM
DD likes lift the flap books mostly. She love Spot goes to a party, Spot bakes a cake, Where's Spot and Spot goes to the park, all by Eric Hill.
She also likes Dora the explorer at the beach and Dora throws a surprise party. We don't watch the tv show but she picked them out at Ross and carries them over to me to read quite often.
The Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear are also sometime faves (depending on the week!)

jk3
03-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Ds is 9 months old. His current favorites are Brown Bear, Elmo's Valentine and Where's Maisy? He especially likes to turn the pages and to lift the flaps to look at the animals. He also likes to chew on bath books. His favorite is Spot's Bath!

Lucia
03-15-2004, 12:37 AM
What a fun post! Reading is a favorite activity in our house. We all enjoy the Sandra Boynton books. Current favorite Boynton books are Snuggle Puppy, Barnyard Dance, and Hippos Go Bezerk! DS also loves all of the Touch and Feel animal books and lift the flap books. His other new interest is a Usborne book (great chunky board books!) on Diggers. I would also highly recommend checking out the Chinaberry Books catalogue/website for some suggestions...they have some great things and wonderful reviews about each book. Have fun finding new books!

One other favorite is the clothe Lamaze Peek-a-boo book....we never leave the house without it. It is great for keeping him occupied in restaurants, grocery shopping, in the car, etc.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

sugarsnappea
03-15-2004, 09:11 AM
JG is a little over 2 1/2 and is really into Peter Rabbit and any Curious George. Dr. Seuss' One Fish Two Fish... and Hop on Pop are also faves. Her most favorite (and mine) bedtimes stories are Make Way for Ducklings and Blueberries for Sal. :)

MelissaTC
03-15-2004, 12:11 PM
That's Not My Train by Fiona Watt and Rachel Wells. It is an Usborne touch and feel. I can recite the whole thing from memory.

Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. Need I explain?

Fisher Price board book - My Little Snoopy. It is a story about the puppy pull toy. "My little snoopy follows me most everywhere I go. His body wiggles back and forth, his tail flops to and fro". UGH. He LOVES this little book because it ends with the main character, Max, and Snoopy going to sleep. This is where I say "night night" and Matthew says "night night" and then hugs and kisses me! :)

August Mom
03-15-2004, 12:12 PM
DS is 19 months. His current favorites are:

Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Go Dogs Go by Dr. Seuss
Babies by Ros Asquith & Sam Williams
Where Is Baby's Mommy? by Karen Katz
Where Is Baby's Bellybutton? by Karen Katz
Any of DK Publishing's books in the NFL series, but particulary My First Football Book.

For any babies into lift-the-flap books, I highly recommend the Karen Katz books and the Fisher Price Little People Farm book.

colleenfs
03-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Julia is 26 months. She loves books, which makes me so happy since I am (or was!) a children's librarian! We have to stay away from books with flaps these days as she likes to rip them out. She does so with gusto and says things like "Rip Pooh!" as she does it. So we keep those away for now.

Her current faves:
Madeline
anything with Flower Fairies
Edith the Loney Doll series by Dare Wright - old fashioned black and white photos of pretty dolly and her bear friends

I'll post again later with more. I'm being "summoned."

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

cma
03-15-2004, 09:46 PM
DD loves Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (the book-on-tape version by Iza Trapani).

She actually loves any book on tape right now (Corduroy, Silly Sally, Tops and Bottoms, Little White Duck, etc.) She holds the books and turns the pages at the beep herself. And just recently she started showing the book to DS as if reading to him.

Kate888
03-15-2004, 10:42 PM
DD just turned 2 last month and her absolute favorite is Noddy and the Parasol.

She asks us to read the book several times a day and also reads it herself whenever she is alone. She is fascinated by the story and the charactors. It's a little longer than Clifford and Maisy books, so sometimes I wish she would pick another book for bedtime LOL :D
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0563405384/qid=1079402975/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4228801-5213407?v=glance&s=books

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

sntm
03-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Jack is 9 months. He adores How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight -- it's a really huge tall book which appeals to him because the pictures are so big. We read it almost every night and he will push other books away to get to that one. He also likes Pajama Time, Mr. Brown Can Moo, and Green Eggs and Ham.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Dcclerk
03-16-2004, 12:54 PM
DS is 9 months and has had the same favorites for the last few months. (I will lay about 5 books on the floor and he will always choose the same 1 or 2:) )

Quiet Loud by Leslie Patricelli (odd, childish pictures but DS LOVES this book!) http://tinyurl.com/28db8

Fuzzy Farm Friends (a wood book with texture) http://somedayisle.com/item/li-/586.htm

ABC A Child's First Alphabet Book by Allison Jay http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?SIND=1&PMId=14967&cmCL=srch-abc

Any book with real baby faces!

mcades
03-16-2004, 10:29 PM
For 2 1/2 year old DS, anything involving TRAINS!! especially The Little Engine That Could. But he's also a big fan of anything Dr. Seuss, Harold & the Purple Crayon, & books on the current holidays (right now weaning off the Purim books & starting the Passover ones).

The 10 month old loves Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon, & Peek A Moo!

Michelle

wagner36
03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Charlie is 9.5 months old and he LOVES the Jelly Kitten (or Jelly Cat ) books. I think they're British. He shows no interest in any other books. There's a My Cow Book, My Duckling Book, My Doggy Book, etc. The best thing about them is that they have a long-ish strap to hook on to the stroller, high chair at restaurants, etc.

Even DH and I find them pretty entertaining.

ETA: I found a link online, but we've picked them up over time at random stores: http://www.petitetica.com/my_cow_book.asp

Here's another link - I still need the Bunny and the Sheep!
http://berlinbear.com/jellycatsquidgies.html