PDA

View Full Version : Worried about wooden nesting blocks...

McQ
03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Declan was given a set of the Melissa & Doug wooden nesting blocks but I'm worried that the edges are too sharp. Especially if we're stacking them up and he's knocking them down. One hit in the noggin could give him a serious scratch. I'm usually not a worry-wort but there's some thing I just don't like about these.

Does anyone have them and like/dislike them?

http://www.giantstepsbooks.com/lci/0551.html

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

stillplayswithbarbies
03-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I have decided I dislike most of the Melissa and Doug wooden toys. They just seem cheaply made with sharp unsanded edges. The puzzle pieces are all coming up at the edges where she puts them in her mouth. (yes I know she is not old enough for them yet, but even so they should be more durable I think)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
03-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Those blocks can be a little dangerous for a young infant. They are also somewhat heavy, so you might want to put them away for awhile. I'd stick to the plastic stacking cups for awhile.

HTH,

McQ
03-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Heavy, sharp and cheap pretty much describes my feeling on the blocks. They have been sitting a shelf in his room since Christmas so I guess they'll sit there a while longer. Only problem is they were a gift from my mother so I'll sure she'll bring it up some time :(

Allison
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

nitaghei
03-17-2004, 11:10 AM
DS has the regular alphabet and number blocks, and I thought they were good quality. Very smooth, and the edges are rounded. The colors look great too. He's been playing with them for a couple of months with no problems whatsoever.

But these just look too big for Declan right now. Maybe just put them away for now?

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

nitaghei
03-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Karen,

Call the 800 number. Neel had a puzzle where the layers started coming apart within a week of use. I called them, and they sent out a replacement, which has held up extremely well. Neel likes to bang the pieces together, and we've had no problems with them. He also has a train shape that comes in pieces, and that one is extremely well made. Very smooth, nice edges, and the paint has held up to rather persistent gnawing. I really do think the M&D quality is not exactly consistent, but their customer service is great, IME.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
We have a gorgeous heavy cardboard set by Elboo (????) Tristan has jsut now started playing with them, had they been wood I too would be worried!!!!
Ours are very colorful with animals and all, really cute...
No advice but just wanted to say wooden ones would scare me too...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
03-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Can't you just say they're a little big for him now? They are for age 2 and up. We have the exact same ones and DD really likes them. She stacks them sometimes :), but she loves to line them up and put things inside the blocks and pretend they are a train! :)

celfsh
03-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Hmmm...guess I'm in the minority here, but Liv got those for her first birthday and we think they're great. The only problem we've had with them is when Liv was a few months younger, she couldn't always figure out how to get them to fit inside each other (since they're square not round) and she would sometimes get pretty frustrated. But I think the quality is great, and we haven't had any safety issues with them. (Not too shabby in my book, seeing as Liv is a pretty "rough and tumble" kind of gal!) We actually have lots of Melissa and Doug toys (purchased at TJ Maxx), and I've been quite happy with them.

Of course, if you feel that Declan is too young for them right now, then I would certainly defer to your "mommy instincts". :)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

McQ
03-17-2004, 02:37 PM
That's exactly what I did say and will continue to say. Can you tell I'm getting a little paranoid at her upcoming visit. Glad to know that Sarah enjoys them.

Sorry to see your Irvine post. Will need to get together if/when you go.

Allison
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

egoldber
03-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Nothing's decided. :) He hasn't even been offered the job yet, but it seems at least somewhat likely.