PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting a walker? Toys for 7 month old

ericajosh
03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
I was thinking of investing in a walker for DS (almost 7 months). Just wondering what your thoughts were on whether to get one and which one to get.

Also, I would love to get him some instruments to play with. Are there any good and inexpensive music sets you would suggest?

Any other suggestions for an almost 7 mo. old would be great. He is interested in sitting or standing and is tired of his "lay on his back" toys, like the gymini.

Thanks.
-Erica

votre_ami03
03-18-2004, 02:24 PM
My little man is 7, almost 8 mos. I was not going to use a walker, but someone gave it to me & I tried it, briefly. Personally, I am glad I did not waste my money on it. Nolan is crawler, stander, wanna be climber & he tries to lean out of it. I don't trust that he won't find a way to tip it over. I prefer to let him play on the floor, in his saucer (also a hand me down) or sit in the highchair w/a snack.

He is pretty content hanging out with toys on the floor. He likes to stand at his Leap Frog table, he did that endless just last night. He also kind of plays w/his Peek a Block wagon & blocks.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

Chelsey333
03-18-2004, 02:27 PM
We had a stationary walker that I absolutely loved. It made my life so much easier. I used it from the time my ds was about 4 mos until he was about 11 mos. I think it is worth getting. One leg stayed stationary and he could walk it with his legs in a circle, he loved it. It was really great when I was cooking dinner, bec he was safe and right in my view. I got mine at Baby Depot and it had an ocean theme (fish, whale, octopus, etc.).

McQ
03-18-2004, 02:31 PM
I totally recommend getting some kind of push walker. At 11, almost 12, months Declan just loves having something to push around. Last night he even tipped over our kitchen stools and cruised around the island. We have the radio flyer #12 and it's great for storing toys too.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

votre_ami03
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
The walker I referred to, is as in you sit the baby inside, it has wheels & they move around with their feet.

If you are referring to a push toy like Allison mentioned, that does seem like a good ideal. I was thinking about getting somwthing similar for Nolan. He has pulled himself up to the coffee table once or twice & "walked" around it, although very slow & very carefully.

amp
03-18-2004, 03:44 PM
We bought the Parents Around the Block Wagon push walker for DS on clearance after Christmas (don't know where to find them now) and it is great! He loves the blocks and beads and loves to climb on it (I know, not safe at all!) He just started actually pushing it on his own this week (before that he would walk when we pushed it along) to get around. He is 9.5 mths. He is so excited about it too! And I suspect that once he is walking more, he will enjoy pushing it around and using the wagon portion that holds the blocks.

At 7 mths DS also LOVED the Leapstart Learning Table. Unfortunately, his interest in it has waned a bit since we got it at Thanksgiving. In the beginning, we had it on the floor, without the legs and he started playing with it and kind of pulling himself to the kneeling or standing bent over position on it. Later, when we put it up on it's legs, he played with it *every* single day! It was a great purchase!

Other than that, DS has taken to playing with many things that are not toys at all and he seems to have less interest in the many toys we've bought than he does in the tables, glasses, paper, plastic cooking utensils, etc that he can find!

August Mom
03-18-2004, 10:39 PM
DS really enjoyed his push walker for that period that he was cruising, but not walking. I bought a cheap one (LT Wide Tracker Activity Walker). It was fine for its intended purpose but wasn't great. I think I would get a Radio Flyer one if I had it to do over again.

Other toys that DS liked at this stage were:
Leapstart Learning Table (A huge hit!)
Parents Alphablock Sorter (We absolutely LOVE this toy!)
Skwish
Mozart Magic Cube
Tiny Love 1-2-3 Discovery Lane
FP Happy Vehicles

I didn't find any instruments for this age group. However, we do have the Mozart Magic Drum that can be easily used with hands (rather than drum sticks) and has a rather pleasing sound for a drum. It is somewhat of a rattle.

ericajosh
03-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas. I will look into the toys you all suggested. DS is happier these past few days since he has now mastered sitting on his own and is able to grab his toys and play for a longer amount of time without losing his balance :) The leapstart table seems like a good investment. Thanks for the advice.
-Erica

votre_ami03
03-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Erica, I was a teeny bit disappointed w/the table when I gave it to Nolan for Christmas (5 mos). Now, we LOVE it! Nolan stood at his table by himself for about 30 min's straight just last night, smacking the piano keys & buttons.

I also forgot to add, we have the LP drum too. He does enjoy smacking it & it plays music, has the alphabet & #'s too.

Jen in Chicago
03-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Jude loves his Fisher-Price Stride and Ride. We have not used the push-walker set up much yet, but he LOVES riding on the "Scooter." Before riding it he would sit and put the balls in it. I question the design for getting the balls, but that is my opinion.

This is how I can do chores lately, I just let him scoot around. He rarely will get off of it, so that is our safe spot----for now.

sadie427
03-19-2004, 10:50 AM
We have the Little Tykes piano. It does say age 2 and up, but it's not a safety issue as there are no small parts, just an issue of when they might be interested in it. Sammy can bang on it a bit and loves it, and we can play it with him as well. Little tykes makes a few instruments, not sure which other ones they'd like at this age. There's a version of the piano for younger babies but it has fewer keys. Kid's maracas or egg-shaped shakers are good too--we got ours at a local toy store, I've seen them in music stores as well.

Sarah1
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
We had the Magical Activity Walker by Today's Kids (I bought it on Amazon) and although it annoyed me occasionally (it was on the loud side when turned on), it was totally worth it. Not only is it a walker, but it has tons of buttons to push and makes animal sounds...so Audrey not only enjoyed pushing it around but just sitting and playing with it too.

We recently loaned it to a friend who called me numerous times just absolutely raving about how much her DS was enjoying it.

So, definitely worth it in our case, and if your DS likes to stand, he'd probably like it.

Other toys for your DS' age--I remember that being kind of a tricky time for toys--Audrey really always liked her FP stacking stars that made music, that was something she played with every day, and I think it was only around $10. She also enjoyed the Leapstart table and still plays with that.

jk3
03-26-2004, 09:22 PM
We also have the Fisher Price Basic activity table which is not electronic. We got it as a gift and thought DS would not be so into it. He loves it! It's inexpensive and can last for a long time because it's a two-sided toy. He loves the LeapFrog tabe too!