PDA

View Full Version : Best first birthday gifts for around 20.00 or so

cchavez
03-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I may need a few ideas for upcoming parties....what is the best bang for your buck??? Thanks.

MelissaTC
03-19-2004, 06:24 PM
I would check out TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross...they have REALLY nice toys and book for less...you can get a toy and a book...I love the toy selection. Puzzles are 3.99 - 7.99 and are always a nice gift. ETA you can buy a few at that price! Add on a book, movie, or another toy and you are in business! That is my first place to shop now! I feel like I am getting nice things for a fraction of the price...

Jen in Chicago
03-19-2004, 06:31 PM
CD's- Ralph's World are always a hit, he has a DVD now too I have not watched for SIL says it is good (bought it for them)
Books- TJMaxx and Marshalls
Books or CD from overstock.com
Puzzles- TJMaxx or Marshalls again

We give Curious George books a lot, Jude has a CG room. So Ralph's World and CG books are the usual things from us.

Happy Shopping!

s7714
03-19-2004, 06:41 PM
A toy that still seems to be holding a lot of favor a couple weeks after DD's birthday party is the Leap Frog Alphabet Pal. She thought it was hilarious when we first took it out of the box, and now she sits there playing all the different melodies while dancing to the music. She actually received two of them, so I guess it was a hit with the adults too. ;) I exchanged the second one, and I think with tax it ended up being around $24?

I know they're more than $20, but the other favorites from her birthday are the Little Tykes Discovery Sounds Kitchen ($29.99 at TRU) and the Parents Around-the-block Wagon ($70).

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

August Mom
03-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Board books
FP Tappy the Turtle
See 'n Say
Balls
Cardboard Nesting Blocks
Leapfrog Phonics Radio
Ball Drop
Shape Sorter (I like the Tupperware Shape-O)
Wooden Puzzles
Pull Toy
Push Toy

A lot of people suggest Mega Blocks, but DS wasn't into them.

ppshah
03-19-2004, 09:04 PM
I think there are tons of toys < $20. Here are just a few suggestions:

1. Huggy buggy min car/train $5 each

2. Whoozit photo album $12 - Our family lives out of town, so I have pictures of grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins. At night We say goodnight to everyone. That way he gets to learn who his family members are.

3. Little people stuff.

4. I was at sam's club the other day and they had box sets of hardcover books for $20. The sets included winnie the pooh, curious george, etc.

5. Megablocks

HTH

heidi_timms
03-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Books are always nice gifts. I recently bought a good children's CD by Lisa Loeb (pop singer) that got great reviews on bn.com for a gift. I don't have the CD, but I trust the reviews. Lisa Loeb sings that song "Stay" from the movie "Reality Bites" in case you can't remember. She has those dark framed glasses that she wears.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-19-2004, 10:29 PM
I'd go to Tuesday Morning where you can get nice wooden toys for less than $10 that look like they are $20. they are also "safe" in that the people probably don't have them. That is my concern when buying gifts for children is that they have them already.

My gut feeling is to buy only books though...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

sarasprings
03-19-2004, 11:22 PM
My son still uses all of his push and pull toys (he's 22 months now). They have consistently been the most popular toy for him.

We found a great wooden pull toy at a craft fair last fall for only $10. I was really sad that we didn't have anyone to buy it for. I think I'm going to get a couple to have around this spring when they come to town -- just in case.

Also, we got him the Melissa and Doug velcro cut-up food. He didn't start using it until he was about 16 months, but it's a great toy that he'll use for years.

vikivoly
03-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure if it's only $20, but DD still loves her little tikes discover sounds kitchen. Another one of her favs is playschools ballpopper.

sarsah
03-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Any Fisher Price Little People set. My DS is almost 4 and still playing with the ones he got for his first and second birthday.

My 10 month old LOVES the FP Little People school bus.

Sarah.......Mom to Jason and Devin

arcoe
03-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Here are some of my (and DD's) favorites:

- Leap Frog Refrigerator Magnets
- Baby Einstein Flash Cards - My DD (18 months) absolutely loves these!
- DVDs - Baby Einstein just came out with a new one this past week
- Since summer time is just around the corner, how about making up a beach-time gift: pail, shovels, watering can, etc
- Along the same lines - you could put together a gift filled with "first" art supplies - non-toxic erasable crayons, paper, etc

Hope that helps!

Lucia
03-24-2004, 03:04 AM
My son turned one in February and some of his favorite things are:

*Books (especially small chunky ones he can carry and clothe activity books...these are some of his favorites:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/babyboxcom/peiloyousobo.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811824748/103-3851507-4215038?v=glance

*Peek-a-blocks

*Balls (Gertie balls are great!)

*Any kind of rolling car, truck, train, etc

*Puppets (finger puppets and this great peek-a-boo puppet
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005OSSJ/qid=1080109231/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/103-3851507-4215038?v=glance&s=toys

Another idea for gifts would be summer related gifts (sand toys, water shoes with sun hat, etc). Good luck finding great gifts!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

Andrea S
03-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Andrew still loves the Melissa and Doug stacking train. I buy wood puzzles and books a lot for b-days.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Sarah1
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Just wanted to second the Little People School Bus...I got that a few weeks ago for Audrey and she adores it. Plays with it every day. And I think it was about $15.

luvtoshop
03-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Here is a list of <$20 favorites that my dd received for her 1st b-day:

-Melissa & Doug puzzles
-Ladybug rainboots with tights (Oct baby)
-DVD's
-books
-finger crayons and a large pad of drawing paper
-Baby Einstein puppets