PDA

View Full Version : Received the Naturally Playful Sand and Water Table...MY report

MelissaTC
03-19-2004, 06:10 PM
I received the Step 2 Naturally Playful Sand and Water Table today. I ordered it Monday and it arrived this morning. Not bad. I ordered it directly from Step 2. It was shipped FedEx and the warehouse is in Ohio.

It was quite easy to put this together. I put the legs in and then needed to put 2 screws in per leg. That was it. I installed the umbrella to check it out as well as fill the water (takes 2 gallons) and sand (it gives a 40 lb limit - I used a 50 lb bag I bought at Home Depot for around $3.50).

The sand area is not as deep as I thought it would be but it is quite adequate. The water area is nice but because of the little bridge, there isn't a ton of free water space. The toys that came with it are ok. The shovel is kind of small as well as the little pots. But Matthew immediately fell in love with the little plastic boats so I guess those receive a thumbs up. The true test will be when Matthew plays with it and gives his report. I have a feeling he is going to love it!

I really like the umbrella. You can adjust the height and it truly does provide shade. A definite plus since this thing is on my deck and the sun is at full force in the afternoon. I sat under it and was shaded. I also like the cover. It is secured on the side by an elastic bungee type cord. It wraps around a notch on either side of the table. I was barely able to get it off so there is no way those little fingers are strong enough to pull it off.

All in all, I would say that this is pretty nice. I believe it is a good value for the money and I like it better than the Little Tikes table. I find it to be attractive and does not stand out like a sore thumb on our deck. My friend purchased the Naturally Playful sandbox for her son and it blends well in her yard. I think this line is an affordable alternative to some of the fancier play equipment.

I will post Matthew's report later tonight. :)

caleymama
03-19-2004, 07:15 PM
oooooh ... thank you so much for giving such a detailed report! It sounds really nice.

Just wanted to add our update:

We purchased this at TRU and finally set it up for DD yesterday. We put sand in the sand side and nothing in the water side (it was breezy and chilly here yesterday). She LOVED it. She used the shovel that came with it along with some small Mega Blocks trucks and a set of sand toys from WalMart. I've never seen her stand in one place for that long! She cried when we had to come in for dinner.

We also got the picnic table and teeter totter, both of which we all like very much. We have the Step 2 Kangaroo climber that we got last summer and now DD has plenty to do outside. She could climb up and slide down it last summer and she perfected it when we had it inside last fall (took it down to make room for the Christmas tree and have stored it since then). I think we'll still get a lot of mileage out of it, despite it's small size. She slid down it about a hundred times the day we put it back together outside and loves going in and out the door to play on the inside.

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Is that the taupe colored one that I had emailed Tammy about and she posted a question about it????
I agree if it is that is looks nice, and fits good with a "natural" decor...
Glad you like it...the umbrella sounds cute!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

ppshah
03-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Here is a link if anyone is wondering which table we are talking about:

http://www.step2.com/index.cfm?stp2ssid=403D56F0-EDAC-49D8-87099469B61D9C76&action=details&product_id=1304&category_id=1000&subcategory_id=1023

I agree pretty much with everything.

We also ordered it from Step2 & received it in a couple of days.

It was very easy to put together.

The sand side is shallow - We'll see once DS plays with it if it's adequate.

The lid stays firmly on!!

Unfortunately it has been too cold here to actually use it. This summer we will use it with just water. DS played with it empty after I assembled it in the family romm and love the boats. I think the bridges are fun!!!

I chose it over the little tikes table because I read the LT one gets water in the table and the 2 parts always pull apart.

Will post a full review in a couple of weeks.

vikivoly
03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the review! I really like the looks of that table. Do you know what the recommended age is for it? I think the LT table is for ages 2 and up.

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-20-2004, 02:31 PM
I hope other baby outside toys take this look into consideration...I like the natural colors so much more than bright colors out in the yards!!!!
I agree this is a very attractive child toy for outside...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jenmcadams
03-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I was just coming here to posy a question about this table. Thanks so much. I actually ordered it this morning (we already have the Naturally Playful Woodland Climber and I love the quality and the fact that it's not brightly colored).

I ended up ordering it directly from Step2 also...didn't find it online anywhere cheaper and it's not available in any stores here locally in CO.

I'll post a review too when we actually receive it. Thanks again for the info!

Jen
Mom to Abbie 8/29/02

MelissaTC
03-20-2004, 07:09 PM
It is for 2 and up as well. Matthew just LOVED it! He had a blast splashing in the water and scooping the sand.

Lynnie
03-29-2004, 10:26 AM
looks great ! do you think the umbrella would work at the beach too, as a small portable one ? if i get this, i would probably put it under the raised part of a big wooden swingset/play yard thing, so wouldn't need the shade it offers, but have been looking for a cheap, lightweight umbrella to stick in the back of the car for the beach. obviously it would not do on a windy day, but i was thinking that it might be perfect for a couple hours on a hot sunny, breeze-less day. think this might work ??

thanks in advance

Lynnie
03-29-2004, 10:35 AM
...one more question: do any of you have a problem with your toddlers dumping all the sand into the water side ?? my mom is considering getting this for my son's second birthday, but fears that he will constantly be creating "sludge" by dumping the sand into the water. i still think it looks very cool, but just wanted to get more input. thanks !

lisams
04-25-2004, 12:34 AM
We just picked one up from our ToysRUs, so those of you who are interested you might want to check there before paying for shipping.

DD loves it!! We actually put water in both sides since she has a sand box already. I love the umbrella - it does a great job shading the area.

The only neg. is that I wish there was a drain plug on the sand side so that it would drain easily if you decide to put water on that side too. Not a huge problem, just would be nice to have.

This really is a great product! It looks so nice and is a great size - not too big and not too little. We are very happy with it.

Lisa

billysmommy
04-25-2004, 10:56 AM
My parents got this for Billy for his birthday and gave it to us a little early. We put it up last weekend when we were all home for the hot Marathon Monday :) We put water in both sides and Billy absolutely loved it and got totally soaked :)
Here is a picture of him playing at it, the front of him is totally soaking wet :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4927.jpg

MelissaTC
04-25-2004, 01:22 PM
My son has not dumped any sand in the water portion. He has played with toys in the water and then the sand only to go back to the water. It is in this way that some sand has gotten into the water. I wouldn't worry about sludge. Even if he does it, he is still having fun and playing. Our biggest problem is DS getting soaked! :)

MelissaTC
04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
This umbrella would not be a good one to bring to the beach. It is thin and flimsy. It is fine for the table but I wouldn't use it for anything else...

etwahl
04-25-2004, 02:08 PM
that's a great picture. are you doing just all water for now? i wouldn't mind something liek this, but not sure she's ready for sand just yet :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

billysmommy
04-25-2004, 03:08 PM
We are just using water on both sides right now....actually we only filled the water side and then Billy has dumped alot of the water onto the other side. He likes to scoop the water back and forth so I'm really glad we decided on no sand for this summer :)

C99
04-26-2004, 12:14 AM
My in-laws got this for Nate for Easter and I put it together today. We didn't have sand, so like you, I just filled the water side. Nathaniel LOVED it. And he was completely soaked -- not too happy when I made him come inside to get changed and take his nap! I love how easy it is to fill and drain the table, and the snap-on cover is fantastic. Haven't tried the umbrella yet. I actually wanted something a little more colorful, but I think that the natural coloring will be less likely to bleach out in the sun and look icky and old.

jkabopenguins
04-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi There!
I just wanted to say that my friend just got this same sand/water table a few weeks ago. She has a 7 year old and 3/12 year old twins. All three kids are boys. They LOVE the table!! I have watched them now a number of times and they just love it. The twins do make sludge when water is on the one side, but for them, that is a blast! Someday I will get one of these for my baby! I recommend it!
--Jen :)