PDA

View Full Version : Exersaucer Recommendations

berob
03-26-2004, 12:01 PM
My wife and I are considering getting my increasingly active 4-month old an exersaucer. Can anyone make a recommendation as to a particular one? Any other related advice/opinions would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-26-2004, 12:42 PM
we had this one and she loved it:
http://www.evenflo.com/pr/ac/prac_portfun.phtml

It's the Ultra, with the castle theme. I have to admit that I found the theme irresistably cute so that is why I chose this one. It folds up for travel, but folding it was a pain and so we never did it.

At day care, she uses a simple one from a consignment shop that is missing some toys, and she likes it just as well.

So, you can't go wrong whatever you choose.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

votre_ami03
03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
I have a Safety Firts, it was a hand me down so I never researched it. Our's is pretty basic, but it is supposed to be a car. Nolan loves his saucer! He stands in it & bounces all around.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

s_gosney
03-26-2004, 01:51 PM
We got the mega exersaucer last week. It's a jungle theme with all sorts of animal toys. Our DD loves it, but sometimes it frustrates her when she can't make all of the toys reach her mouth. :) I think it's a toy that will entertain her for many months to come.
I do think that it's important to not overuse it because I've heard that it can delay walking and whatnot (is that really a word? :)), but she does love what time she's in there. FWIW, my system is to rotate toys. I try floor time first, then the swing, then the kick and play, then the exersaucer, etc. As you can see our house is being overtaken by baby toys! All in all, Kylee gives it a definite thumbs up!

jamsmu
03-28-2004, 07:22 PM
We have 2--one upstairs and one downstairs. At 4 months, DS loved the Evenflo Megasaucer. He still loves it and plays so well in it. We use it when I'm working (or on the BBB.)

For the holidays, my parents gave him the Step and Play Piano (FP). This one is more stationary... too hard to move from room to room. DS wasn't too into it until about 6 months. Now he has a great time! There are several bonuses to this one:
1. You can take the seat out and use it when the kids are bigger. Neighbor is walking and loves to play with it with DS while he is in the seat.
2. B/C it is sturdy and stationary, we also use it for DS as a standing toy. He holds himself up on it and plays, which he can't do with the Mega.
3. Major cause and effect (I'm a teacher, couldn't resist that.)
4. DS, DH and I can play with this together. We play music, make up songs, and DS and I play freeze dance. He plays music, I freeze and dance.
5. Once his feet touch the piano, he can "walk" forward and backward, and turn around. A little more exercise.

Raidra
03-30-2004, 09:29 AM
We have the Evenflo castle-themed exersaucer, and my son loves it. If you put him in it facing his two favorite toys, he beams and giggles in delight at seeing his "buddies." I've heard a few comments about people worried about a few of the toys on this being dangerous.. but you can call Evenflo to get replacements. They sell for about $3 each. We bought a few extra to go with our Evenflo high chair that has outlets for the exersaucer toys.

We also have the Fisher Price Jumperoo, which Colwyn absolutely adores. It's so fun to watch him jump in it. :)

Jen in Chicago
03-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Grandma bought Jude a Mega Exersaucer by Evenflo at a Big Lots and it is still being used although I admit he is a bit big for it. We may be the only people in Chicago with a exersaucer in their bathroom. It is my only way of containing him now so I can shower.

He has always loved it. I in the beginning it was a bit frustrating b/c he did not know how to do all of the toys, but each day he learned something new. He would sit in there so seriously learning things, then would go crazy once he mastered something.

Best investment to date b/c it contains them when you need it.

lmariana
03-30-2004, 02:24 PM
We have the Bouncing Baby Play Place by Safety 1st. Hubby and I prefer the NON-electrical blinking, flashing, music playing toys. This is the only one we found that doesn't have a lot of gadgets on it. Gabriel loves it! It has about 4-6 little toys on it that have different actions and noises associated with each one. His favorite are the long teethers.

This exersaucer is a little tall. Gabe is 28" tall, and his feet can reach the bottom, but his knees aren't really bent. So, if your child is under 27" or so, I'd go with another brand.

Another reason we went with this one is that once the child has outgrown the exersaucer fun, it converts to a car track. :)

We found it at Target, but Babycenter.com also carries it.

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

_teekayjay
03-31-2004, 03:03 PM
My DS also uses the Evenflo Megasaucer. He started at about 3 1/2 months and loves it.

Tina
DS Trent 12/2/03:+

Sarah1
04-02-2004, 03:25 PM
We may be the only people in Chicago with a
>exersaucer in their bathroom. It is my only way of containing
>him now so I can shower.
>
Not at all Jen...I did the exact same thing!

Enjoy it while it lasts. I miss the saucer SO MUCH!

nicknack
04-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Rachel--Would you recommend getting both? Brooks is really into kicking when he's on his back, so I'm guessing he'd love to jump. But I'm wondering if the Jumperoo would be enough or if the Exersaucer would be good to have also for other reasons...do they serve different purposes (aside from the jumping/non-jumping obviously)?
Thanks!
Nicole