PDA

View Full Version : Crayons/Markers/Pencils?

momma_boo
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
So yesterday we noticed that DD was trying to scribble with a pen she was playing with. Granted, it was a retractable pen that was "in" so she was just using the plastic point. We thought maybe we'll have her try a more kid-friendly drawing/writing utensil.

Any suggestions on what's good to use for a starter? Keep in mind that it will most likely spend time in her mouth as well!

I was thinking about the big, chunky crayons but then also remembered the markers that only work on special paper. But markers probably aren't good for sticking in their mouths, right?

Momof3Labs
03-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Magna-Doodle!! Colin loves his!

mmaimp
03-29-2004, 12:08 PM
I second the Magna-Doodle. My Pediatrician recommended it at our one-year appt, she has a 15 month old daughter. DS mastered it quickly and I only let him use with supervision b/c of the stylus. The Magna-Doodle I found at Toys'r'us is much smaller than I remember.

trumansmom
03-29-2004, 12:19 PM
The Magna Doodle was a big hit at that age, but DS also loved (and still does!) his big chunky crayons. Don't expect much at first though - maybe a few faint lines.

Another option would be painting with water on chalkboards or colored paper.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

caleymama
03-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Definitely a Magna Doodle. We do have the Color Wonder markers and paper and DD learned pretty quickly not to put them in her mouth. We have some regular Crayola crayons too and again, she learned not to put them in her mouth. With both the markers and the crayons, it's only been very recently that I don't supervise her quite so closely while she's using them. She loves to color with both and she really likes her Magna Doodle too. Oh - just remembered that she also likes to color with a regular pencil that has a dull tip. This I still watch her very carefully with because I don't want her walking around with it.

brubeck
03-29-2004, 01:01 PM
A magna doodle is good to start and for travelling but eventually they want colors. I use the big chunky Crayola washable crayons. They smear a little more but they clean up with a wet paper towel. I only let the kids draw in the high chair (I let Amy out after she turned 3) so that I wouldn't get crayon all over the walls. The Chicco Mama tray cleaned up nicely.

AngelaS
03-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Crayola makes "Kids First" markers which are GREAT! They have more rounded points and they are truly washable---they wipe off with water from EVERYTHING G's used them on.... LOL

pamela mom of 3
03-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I know crayola makes a my first crayon & marker they are more round tipped and the crayons are chunky.

As to magna doodle we have those too BUT they do get damaged, we are now on our 3rd? maybe 4th ones i have lost count actually...i did notice though that the latest magna doodle we have has a better "improved" pen it actually retracts so if too much pressure is applied..helps cut down on messing up the screen..they call it i think the screen saver pen, it also has a drawer that pulls out for holding the shapes..it's still by fisher price.

:)
ETA: here is the doodle board we have
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3815.jpg

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

dylansnan
03-29-2004, 06:58 PM
I always start with markers (washable & non-toxic)with lots of supervision. I have found young toddlers(12mos. +) have an easier time drawing with markers because they don't have to press down like with crayons.

momma_boo
03-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I knew I would get some good ideas here!

DD got a very generous birthday gift from my mom's friend ($100 giftcard for Toys R Us), so I think I'll go and pick up everything (magna doodle, markers and the "first" crayons).

I cant' believe I didn't even think of a magna doodle!

Dscvrlifewith3
03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Like the other poster I would recommend a magna doodle, the crayola first crayons, or good chunky beeswax crayons.
We have used all of these and think they are great products. I am obsessed with Crayola products and they have such a great selection for the little one up to the big kids (like me). I think on the website they have all kinds of information, including crayon removal from clothing, walls, etc.

Kim

blnony
03-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Another thumbs up for the Magna Doodle. The "washable" markers don't wash so well either. ;)