PDA

View Full Version : Two more K-trike Questions...

jec2
04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Sorry, for all the questions. I am buying this trike way early to get the coupon, but I can't really get DS on one. So for those of you that have a trike already or have actually tested them out, I hope you can help.

I am trying to finally decide between the Navigator and the Jumbo. But, now am all stuck on the SEAT and the BRAKE.

The SEAT: Is there really a big comfort difference or functional difference between the two seats?

The BRAKE: Really, do the kids use the hand brakes? I am trying to recall from my big wheel that I had as a kid and yes, we used ours, but we also used the back-pedalling motion as well, which I am assuming the Navigator has.

Thanks for entertaining all my questions!

vpalmer
04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Juliet,

From what I have read on the Boards about the seat, I think the main difference is that the Jumbo seat is a bench seat and the Happy and Navigator seat are more contoured. I have no idea how that translates into comfort though.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

gisele
04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Juliet,

I put my son (around 19 pounds) on both seats. The Navigator/Happy seat is a little smaller, and have a bump in the middle for going between the legs. The Jumbo seat is a little wider and is flat - doesn't have that bump. My son sits OK in both. But I remember someone here saying that the Jumbo seat actually seems to fit a smaller baby better, and I understand why after putting my son on - because it's a little wider he actually seems a little more stable on it. As far as the handbrake, well I prefer to have one if my son can use the trike to age 5.

Since you baby is only about 7 months old, and most likely it seems there will be another "coupon" in the future, perhaps you could wait for the next one. That would give you a chance to see an actual one in the store and try it out. It's just a suggestion if you are really that undecided. It's a lot of money to plunk down for something you're not sure of and never seen...

JMHO

jec2
04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks. We have seen them and even tried DS on them :0 I appreciate the advice, but I think that "really" either seat will be fine in the end as will the brake. I just wanted to know whether people who have the trike and have been using it have found either of the seat to be functionally different to make push me more in one direction or the other. Same with the brake...Are the 2, 3, 4 year-olds really using the brake? These are questions that I don't think I would know any better *if* the coupon comes around again later. Even at the age of 1 or so, I don't know that DS will be any better able to communicate a seat preference. Sorry if this sounds snippy, it's totally not intended to. I am just using my resources here. Trust me, I vascillate as much on which diaper cover to get too--just my nature to research, research, research.

DDowning
04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm glad you asked this question, I'm having a real hard time trying to determine if what I ordered is what I really want/need for DS. Yesterday we were able to go to the only toy store in my area that carries Kettlers. They had the Air Jumbo, Air Happy, Junior/Blossim and I think the Combi, but not the Navigator or Brommi. We quickly ruled out the Happy and the Juniors for one reason or another which kept me going back to the Jumbo. It really is cute with the little dump truck and I can see DS hauling his toys or what not in it. But, when I actually put DS in the Air Jumbo and OMG - he was swimming in the seat - its soo huge for him - he couldn't even reach for the handle bars. Even at 19.5 lbs and 27.5", he just looked so overwhelmed by the size of it. Granted, I know he's only 9 months and that its for a first birthday present in June - How quickly will he grow into it? I wish they had the Navigator to see that in person because I was thinking of ordering that instead - especially since I have time for a birthday in June. But, now, reading about how the push steering is only really useful until 2, I'm wondering if I should just chomp at the bit and buy the Jumbo for the longevity factor. I'm sooo confused there are just way to many choices here. Its a trike for pete's sake!

ETA: Changed the question on growth - of course he'll grow into it over time, just curious as to when.

houseof3boys
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm glad you tried them all. We are leaning towards the Air Jumbo but have not seen them IRL. Ryan is a bit taller and thinner than Carson is so it's good to know your perspective. I keep thinking about this being something for us, the parents, to enjoy seeing their faces light up with the novelty of this trike and in the future (when they have grown into it a bit) it will be for them!

Why did you rule out the happy?

caleymama
04-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Of course this will depend on the child's actual build and how quickly they grow, but at 18 mos. DD is 31 3/4 inches tall and can reach the handlebars and rest her feet on the pedals of her Air Happy. We have it on the smallest settings.