PDA

View Full Version : High chair - cleaning straps?

deborah_r
04-07-2004, 06:26 PM
I have the FP Healthy Care Deluxe from Target, but I imagine most of them are pretty similar. How do you clean the straps? We are starting to get very messy here (mashed potatoes in his ears last night) and the straps are getting harder to keep clean.

Also he keeps taking his bib off (velcro really doesn't stop a determined 10 month old) so I've taken to using a binder clip in the back to keep it together, but I'm worried it's going to hurt him. Any other ideas?

gisele
04-07-2004, 07:25 PM
I use car seat strap covers (available at Target, look at car seat accessories). They keep the straps cleaner and you toss them in the laundry when dirty. That was a good tip I got from this board.

If you're concerned about the binder clip, what about the kind of bib that ties together in the back? That should hold together better. Or the bibs with sleeves (I have a Tigger one) that is like a little shirt with velcro in the back.

luvbeinmama
04-07-2004, 07:28 PM
I would remove the straps if possible and wash them in the sink or washer. I like to remove the velcro from the bibs and replace it with snaps. The snaps & pliers to put them on should be available at JoAnn Fabrics. Of course, you never know what they will carry and what they won't. I hate JoAnn. I much preferred House of Fabrics. Unfortunately I don't have a choice of fabric stores anymore. Ack! (sorry to hijack your post for a b*tch) If you don't want to spend the $ on the pliers, get the snaps (not the sew-on kind), bring them & the bibs sans velcro next time we get together and I can fix them for you. Just remind me to bring the pliers! LOL!

ETA: Get the size 15 or 16 snaps, that's what size my pliers work for.

gisele
04-07-2004, 07:36 PM
DS has a number of bibs where the velco doesn't work anymore and I want to replace with snaps. I only know the sew-on kind. But is the kind you put on with the pliers easier to put on, and does it stay on well? He has so many bibs, that I'd spend the $ on pliers if it works well and fast.

Thanks!

luvbeinmama
04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Yes, it works great! They snaps have "teeth" that go through the fabric and hold on to the backing. The pliers have little rubber "tubes" that hold the snap & backing in place while you position it on the fabric. You just press it closed and VIOLA! New snaps! HTH!

redhookmom
04-07-2004, 08:25 PM
I take the pad and all off the straps of once a week and throw them in the washer. In between I use a green scrubie and a water/vinegar solution.

jubilee
04-08-2004, 03:15 AM
I just throw the straps into the washing machine. I don't dry them in the dryer though, because they make too much noise. Since they are webbing, they are fairly dry when they come out of the washer anyway.

momma_boo
04-08-2004, 10:20 AM
I second the suggestion to use the strap covers. Soo much easier to just pop them off and wash them instead of dealing with removing and re-attaching the straps.

amp
04-08-2004, 10:34 AM
We take them off and throw them in the washing machine.

hypermom
04-08-2004, 10:44 PM
To get the straps spanking clean, I take them and soak them in a mild solution (very very mild, like 1:30) of bleach water overnight. I come downstairs in the morning and they are as bright as can be. Then I just rinse them out and wash with a little dish detergent.

hth,Tosa

COElizabeth
04-08-2004, 10:54 PM
How do you all get the straps off? I have tried, and I simply can't get mine off. The opening seems far too narrow for the end of the strap to fit! I have the FP Healthy Care chair.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

JElaineB
04-09-2004, 09:32 AM
I make my husband do it! He is the one who put the chair together and he can get them out. I can't get them out either. I have only cleaned them a couple of times because of that. I have to clean them one more time then the chair is being put away! DS has given up the Healthy Care in favor of a booster.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kapow
04-09-2004, 10:27 AM
My straps don't come off either. I take the seat pad off and put the straps into a tall tupperware container, filled with soapy water. I let them soak for a while (some of the water will travel up the straps) and scrub the straps well when I take them out. Then I let them airdry. Works every time.

gisele
04-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks! Hopefully my local JoAnn's will have it!

luvbeinmama
04-10-2004, 01:22 AM
This is the pliers kit and there are a few snaps included, but you will probably want more. Occassionally, depending on fabric, etc, I have had to re-do snaps that didn't go on correctly, but you shouldn't have a problem with bibs.

http://joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82287&PRODID=47561

deborah_r
04-10-2004, 05:23 PM
I bow to those of you who wash this stuff once per week! I did it today and it was a horrible experience. I thought I would lose my mind. It is such a pain to take the pad and straps off and put them back on. And the part of the velcro that has the sticky side never stays attached to our high chair, which is really irritating me. So at the bottom, the pad kind of hangs there because the velcro is stuck together, but not attached to the high chair. I'm sure I can get more velcro, but I'm wondering if FP would send me some to save me the trouble and expense. They should have done snaps there, with one part of the snap mounted onto the high chair.

kroppink
04-16-2004, 01:54 PM
I just bought the car seat strap covers for the high chair from Target. They are the cutest!!!! I don't know if there were plain ones...I only saw cute ones. :) I got a denim pair with little bugs on them. There was also a white terry cloth one with ladybugs (thought that would show messes way too fast).

Thanks for the tip! :)