PDA

View Full Version : Best/Fav High Chairs

ZUM
04-08-2004, 09:37 AM
I am expecting my first in June, and I haven't registered for a high chair, but my uncle wants to get me one...long story! What high chairs do you like and which ones should I stay away from??

Thanks for your help
ZUM :D

kijip
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
1 vote for the Fisher Price Healthy Care. I love it. We use it everyday and it works great. It has all of the important features and is easy to clean. Not only do I have it and love it, I know 4 other parents who have it and love it.

1 vote AGAINST Graco's EasyChair. We have it at Grandma's and the thing broke after 2 months (if that) of light use. What a pain!

mharling
04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
I vote for the Baby Trend; we love it!!! I think most people who shy away from the expensive chairs (Peg, Chicco) end up with either the Baby Trend or Fisher-Price Healthy Care. There are lots of people here happy with both.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

amp
04-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe HC. We love ours. Wheels, adjustable height, adjustable recline, one handed release tray, 3 tray inserts that can go in the dishwasher, vinyl seat. Again, we love ours!

Momof3Labs
04-08-2004, 03:15 PM
I have a Prima Pappa and feel that it is a waste of money - there are plenty of high chairs that have as many features for half the price. If you do a search on this board, you'll find plenty of high chair reviews!

murpheyblue
04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Another vote for the Fisher Price Healthy Care Deluxe. DD loves to sit in it. It has 7 height adjustments, multiple reclines, the tray pops on and off easily and has three trays that pop in/out and can go in the dishwasher - easy clean up. It's got wheels but my only complaint is that the wheels lock spontaneously. Everytime, I go to roll it, it seems the wheels are locked. Besides that, we love it.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

strike71
04-08-2004, 08:30 PM
I too am deciding...I have narrowed it down to Fisher Price Health care or deluxe. I ruled out Trend because I read it was hard to clean because it is fabric. The only reason I would get the deluxe is for the wheels. Is it really that difficult to move the one without the wheels...I would only be moving it 2-3 feet.

gisele
04-09-2004, 01:37 AM
I have the Prima Pappa high chair and I have been very happy with it. I feel that it is worth the money. I know a lot of other people on this board also like it.

Everyone has their own high chair they prefer. The best thing to do is see them in person. I actually think it is better to wait on this purchase and try them out in the store with baby - that will help you buy the one best for you.

kijip
04-09-2004, 01:41 AM
I second you on waiting and shopping with baby! When we bought our chair (son was about 5-6 months old) we tried 2 other seats that we liked but that did not work well for our son strap wise!

darby24
04-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Agree with the above to try and wait, but then again sometimes family won't wait for you to decide and will end up picking their own choice.

At least make a list of what you want and don't want. wheels - height adjustments - recline - compact fold and so on.

Also, what about your kitchen/dining room. Is there room, does it need to fold regularly, are you taking it on trips, do you need wheels to move it from room to room, etc.

That will really narrow it down for you.

edited for tired spelling.

Dcclerk
04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
I love my Svan with the infant kit. It is pricier than most, but will last us until he is through elementary school. It is comfy (we have the pads), sturdy, easy to clean, and very adjustable. There are no wheels, but it isn't nearly as big or bulky as the other high chairs we have used, and it is very easy to pick up and move. In fact, I'm glad there are no wheels, as DS pushes ANYTHING he can find with wheels and I know he would be trying to push his highchair if they had one. They are a tad funky looking but I really am happy with it. Here's a picture of one...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4174.jpg

mom to little e
04-09-2004, 08:40 PM
We have the FP Healthy Care - not the deluxe. Don't really seem to miss the wheels that come on the deluxe. It is a pretty great high chair. This was our third choice but I am surprisingly, VERY HAPPY with it. I REALLY wanted the Zooper Peas & Carrots (because of the looks) but decided against it due to the high tray height. Then we bought an Evenflo from Target (again because of the looks) but then returned it because the tray was again too tall. So the FP was our third choice. I wasn't crazy about the looks - too much going on for me, but I actually am loving it now. I love the easy recline and easy on/off tray and the tray height is perfect. My little guy is in the 50th percentile for height and weight and is now 5 1/2 months. He seems to fit in it very comfortably. Oh, yeah, and the vinyl seat - a MUST for me! We have only been doing cereal a few times and I can see how easy these things can become a complete mess. The Evenflo was cloth and I don't think I would have been happy with that after a while.

Good luck! I researched and researched and researched and sweated over the decision - I am so glad I finally got through that one!

...Casey

Mommy to
Ean Bennett 11/06/03

JElaineB
04-09-2004, 09:51 PM
If you're only moving it 2-3 feet you won't miss the wheels. We have the Healthy Care (no wheels) and I have dragged it all over the house easily with no problem.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

firstbaby
04-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Another vote for the FP HC deluxe - they have a super cute new pattern out at BRU now with the Linkadoos

mmaimp
04-09-2004, 10:56 PM
I like our Baby Trend. The cover is material but is washable and reversible! The wheels are great and we go from dining room to kitchen. It has one snap on trap that can go in the dishwasher. The height is adjustable and the seat can recline. I also waited and shopped for a highchair when DS was 6 months old and picked what seemed to fit him the best. The tan and green also looks good in our house. You can get a feeding seat to start, which I did but then realized that I wanted to be able to move from room to room with the chair. I use the feeding seat at my mom’s now and I like it also. I think the Baby Trend is a great alternative to a Prima Pappa or Chicco Mama.

sarsah
04-11-2004, 07:46 AM
I highly recommend the Baby Trend high chair. We've been using it since last fall and really like it. My biggest complaint is that the wheels lock by themselves which is a pain, but not really that big of a deal. This seat is well worth the price. My neighbor is even thinking about selling her Prima Papa at a consignment sale and using the proceeds to buy the Baby Trend seat since her Papa is soooo hard to keep clean.

I love, love, love the cloth seat cover. I just pop it in the washing machine after dinner and hang it to dry. It's dry and ready to go back on the seat in the morning -- no scrubbing, the washing machine take care of it. My DS#2 is a very messy eater, compared to DS#1 and I can not imagine having to scrub a vinyl seat cover every day.

Sarah..........mom to Jason & Devin

MariFP
04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Another vote for the FP Healthy Care. Not the deluxe. I don't move the HC at all so I really don't need any wheels.

JenCA
04-12-2004, 02:16 AM
We have the Peg Prima Pappa high chair and have been happy with it thus far.

vikivoly
04-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Another vote for the Baby Trend High Chair.

agigs
04-14-2004, 08:33 AM
I have the FP and loved it until yesterday. My 14 month old figured out how to take the tray off and food goes flying all over the place. This is a major design flaw which FP is aware of because many people have complained about the same issue. The chair is great until your child is about 12 months+.

marybliss
04-14-2004, 10:27 AM
We have the Graco Harmony high chair from Target. Love it, love it, love it!

The seat is covered in a laminated cloth, so you get the looks of cloth w/o the hassle. There are height adjustments, recline adjustments, wheels, a toy bar (which we use to hang different toys from her collection to vary it up)... plus the tray "wraps around" the baby so there aren't any gaps for food to hit the lap. I didn't like how the FP or the Evenflo chairs had their trays that run straight across the baby... the Graco Harmony one has curves all around it... even up front for a parent who rests arms on the tray when feeding.

I'm so glad we ended up with this chair versus lot of the other models. But again, this chair meets OUR needs... and may not meet needs of everyone else.

Mary

MelissaTC
04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
My son is 21 months and our vote goes to the FP chair. We love it! It is easy to clean and use. He was LOST in other chairs. He has been on the smaller side and was unable to reach the tray in the Prima Pappa and Evenflo chairs...

1sweetpea
04-14-2004, 05:52 PM
We have the Chicco Mama...and I love it. It's two years old and they have probably changed it by now...

A few things that I am thankful for now that I didn't know I would want with an 18 month old...

- 5 point harness (you would be suprised how quickly they learn to climb out/stand up in that high chair - no fear!)

- The height is adjustable, so we can roll him right up to any table now, so he can eat "like a big boy".

- The first time it was hard to clean, but now I'm a pro...you can clean any chair in less than 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

JLiebCamm
04-14-2004, 11:07 PM
We've been happy with our FP Healthy Care High Chair. It's very easy to clean and fits DS well.