PDA

View Full Version : Can I always leave a push bar on Kettler even when DS's pedaling it?

justlearning
04-10-2004, 12:52 AM
We're moving into a new neighborhood in which there are sidewalks but the whole neighborhood is built going up a small mountain so the streets are sloped. I think that it would be impossible for DS to ever ride a trike going uphill with the steep slope and too dangerous going downhill. At the bottom of the hill, though, is a flat park with a sidewalk around it.

I would like for DS to be able to have a trike and enjoy riding it around the park (when he's old enough to do so), so I was wondering if it would work to get a Kettler and leave the push bar on even when he's older, allowing me to push him on the trike on the way to and from the park, then allowing him to pedal on his own when we're there. Or would it be too difficult for me to even push him going up a slope?...Or am I crazy to even think about paying so much for a trike when he won't be able to ride it around the neighborhood???

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

shishamo
04-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi Anne,

This is my opinion, I think it's unsafe to leave the pushbar IF your DS is pedaling himself. I tried it once, and quickly realized that it's just not safe for everyone (himself in case he falls: that happens when turning a tight corner, kids around him may also get hit by the pushbar). Since it's so easy to take it off and put it back on, that's what I do when we do pedal to the park.
As for uphill, once the child is fairly confident in riding, you can sort of 'push' the seat part of the trike to help him with the momentum and that may be enough for him. But I have no idea how steep the hill you are talking about :)