PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Juno's Wonderful Day DVD

MommytoDylan
04-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Product Review: Juno's Wonderful Day DVD
For Ages 0-4, 28 minutes long

I was thrilled to receive a package from the Field's and am so grateful for the opportunity to review a product. I just wish I had more complimentary things to say about this particular DVD.

When I went to the company's website for this DVD, www.junobaby.com, I was impressed with the passion and philosophy behind this new produt.

The website states,"Juno Baby was born out of a growing sense of concern with the glut of baby videos claiming to stimulate infants, yet doing little to enhance their development. "These videos hypnotize babies into a complete sedation," says Juno Baby co-developer, Dr. Belinda Takahashi. "In a world of quick images and digital stimulation catering to a generation of increasingly shorter attention spans, I question whether the tradeoff in favor of the easily digestible is worthwhile."

Juno Baby was designed specifically to stimulate and expand your baby’s mind. Bright, colorful, and simple - Juno Baby has applied the teachings of experts to develop infants’ cognitive understanding of shapes, numbers, and moods through the interaction of music, objects, animation, and original puppets."

The above is interesting in light of recent research on the possible effects of T.V. viewing for little ones. So it was with great anticipation that I put my 16 month old son, Dylan, in front of the T.V. and put in our DVD, "Juno's Wonderful Day". And it stunk! I thought so, Dylan thought so, and my husband came in and made several unflattering comments about the few minutes he watched with us.

Basically it is a poorly filmed rip-off of Baby Einstein. They have filmed toys with music in the background and it is very similar to Baby Einstein, however, not the same high quality we are used to viewing. Then the rest of the DVD is filled with puppets that did not hold my son's attention (and he LOVES the Baby Einstein puppet segments) holding very silly conversations. Dylan whined and fussed and did not want to watch. Over the course of two weeks I had him watch it two more times to see if he would enjoy it as he became more familiar with it--to no avail.

I was a teacher for 8 years prior to becoming a SAHM and I will say that there was one aspect of this DVD that really impressed me. There is an insert in the cover that has all sorts of suggestions of activities you can do with your child, either during the movie or after, as an extention of what was learned. Some of the ideas are great and really creative. It is obvious that time and effort went in to creating this insert.

In summary, I would not recommend this DVD to others and will stick to Baby Einstein and Signing Times for my son's viewing pleasure.

HTH,
Meredith

darebear
04-15-2004, 06:56 PM
>The above is interesting in light of recent research on the
>possible effects of T.V. viewing for little ones. So it was
>with great anticipation that I put my 16 month old son, Dylan,
>in front of the T.V. and put in our DVD, "Juno's Wonderful
>Day". And it stunk! I thought so, Dylan thought so, and my
>husband came in and made several unflattering comments about
>the few minutes he watched with us.
>
>Basically it is a poorly filmed rip-off of Baby Einstein.

Meredith, I received the same DVD to review, but have yet to post one, since I cannot get my son to watch it. The 2 times that I put it on, we got through about 5-10 when he would go up and shut the tv off. From the brief viewing, I thought the exact same thing, that it is a rip-off of Baby Einstein. I plan to watch it by myself in the next couple of days and then post a review. I may also have my neighbor give a try with her kids.

Allison

MommytoDylan
04-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Allison,

I'll look forward to reading your review!!:)

Meredith