PDA

View Full Version : Help- baby wont sit down in tub anymore

brooke2003
04-16-2004, 08:03 AM
My 10 month old son just started to refuse to sit down in his eurobath anymore. The only way to bathe him is to have him stand on a bear sponge which lays on the bottom of his eurobath. He then stands up and holds onto me while I bathe him. (if I try to sit him down, he cries and stands up) Not only does this hurt my back, but I end up soaked. Any suggestions???

etwahl
04-16-2004, 08:14 AM
we started using the big bathtub when we moved (around 4 months i think). i just got in the bath with her and she sat in front of me. this has worked great for us and we still do it. i'm not confident in her abilities to stay in the tub alone and i don't like bending over the tub to constantly hold her, so this works great for us. there's no way we could have used our eurotub at that age. plus we have a ton of toys in there for her and that keeps her busy.

one favorite is bath books. we have 3 and i read them for each bath. the second i open the book to read she smiles like crazy. she loves them. we have the baby einstein bath books that you can get at any major bookstore. LOVE them!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

MariFP
04-16-2004, 09:37 AM
My 10-months old does the same. I just let her stand or be on her knees. It is easier for me. When I need her to be sitting I give her a toy to chew. She has 4-5 toys in her tub with her. I can't wait until she can fully stand by herself so I will just give her a regular shower.

brooke2003
04-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys.... Mariana- what do you have your daughter standing in/on?

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Same here T refuses to sit down since about 10-11 months old. I get in the tub with him so it is not too bad for us for I just spondge him standing up...

BUT I want to take Tammy's advice with the bath books if that would get him to sit with me in the tub I'd be thrilled!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

justlearning
04-16-2004, 03:47 PM
We've used our Eurobath with DS since birth and have loved it. This probably won't work for you, but I'll share how we've been bathing our son in it...

We've always kept him in a lying down position for part of the bath (DH gives the baths usually and finds it easiest to wash DS in that position) and allowed him to sit for part of the bath. Starting about a month ago, though, whenever we put him in the sitting position, he'd tried to stand up and climb out of the Eurobath. What we've done when he does that is just lie him back in the recline position--we use bath toys to help keep him happy in that position. It's easier to keep him from standing up from the recline position than it is from the sitting position. Doing that the last few weeks has seemed to help also in that when we do allow him to sit in the tub (we don't change directions of the Eurobath--he's able to sit just fine without doing so), he usually doesn't try to stand up anymore.

Again, my guess is that this won't work for you if your son has only been sitting in the tub for a long time and thus will probably protest greatly being laid back in the tub, but I just thought I'd share what's helped with our son.

Dcclerk
04-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Anne, we are apparently on the same wavelength todayy:) We do exactly the same with DS. He associates baths with lying down since that is what he has always knownn:) I do let him sit up once I am done washing him up (still on the same lying side of the Eurobath), but our rule is that once he starts to stand up, I ask him if he wants to get out. If he doesn't want to get out, he has to sit down. (It is hilarious to see him shake his head violently as he lowers himself down.) If he doesn't sit down, he gets out. After 2 nights of this discussion, he rarely tries to stand up now.

I guess the thing with us is that he loves taking a bath, so the "threat" to get out carries weight. If your babe doesn't like the bath, then our "threat" wouldn't mean much! :)

boys2enough
04-16-2004, 06:55 PM
HI, sorry if this has been suggested: we had a Euribath and loved it too. But when Gabriek graduated to the big bath tub (to take a bath with big 6yo brother) he refused to sit down in the bathtub. Maybe he's scared? Anyway, I got a Bath Ring on ebay and at first he didn't want to get in, but he was distracted enough by his brother that he sat in the bath ring without too much crying. Now he actually associates his bath ring with fun. When we went on vacation, it became hard to give him a bath without a bath ring. Wonder whether you could find one at BRU and then return it if it does not work for you. Just a thought. HTH. Cheers, Lin

sorry, pot is boiling. lol

p.s. as always, I am sure you know, never leave a child alone in the bath ring. I think that is why some people tend to have negative thoughts on bath ring because some other people left the children alone there and sad things happened.

etwahl
04-16-2004, 10:57 PM
her absolute favorite one is Mimi's Toes. especially the part where it talks about washing her tummy, and her belly button too, and then i tickle her in the belly button. she laughs and laughs hysterically!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

lcl
04-17-2004, 03:26 AM
my ds went thru a phase like this when we put his eurobath in the big bathtub instead of the counter. then we changed over to an inflatable duckie bathtub by munchkin and he has loved it since. he still has days that he does not feel like sitting down at all and we end up bathing him standing up.