PDA

View Full Version : Is your baby using a helmet on the tryke?

jubilee
04-20-2004, 12:41 AM
With all the trykes excitement on this board with the Kettlers, I was wondering at what age do you start having them wear a helmet? In my state all bike riders under 16 have to wear a helmet, but I don't know if a tryke counts as a bike. I think safety-wise it's probably best to wear the darn helmet, but I can't imagine my little one liking it at all!! We plan to get a tryke at the next co-op or around Christmas, so this isn't my immediate concern but I was wondering what everyone else is doing.

amyff
04-20-2004, 12:59 AM
DH and I were just talking about this. Ava had to wear a helmet for plagio and he joked that it was too bad that she didn't fit in it anymore. Do they make "baby sized" helmets? I think it would be great to let her get used to the idea that when you ride your bike you need to wear your helmet. Hmmmm... I will have to ask the nurse at our Early Childhood Center.

darby24
04-20-2004, 02:06 AM
I'm in the process of searching for a helmet for my nephew who will be 2 in June. We don't have a nice Kettler, I got an old trike for free which I've fixed up. This trike sits the child up high, so there is lots of room to fall off. This also means he can't reach the pedals yet.

I took my nephew to a local sports store last week but most of their helmets were sold out. Out of the few that we tried half were too tight already and half just too loose. I've been trying to figure out how big is actually too big.

I'm planning on taking my nephew to a few bike dealers (mountain biking is HUGE where we are) so I figure they'll be able to fit him properly and answer all the questions. A search on the internet shows lots of infant/toddler/child helmets out there.

So yes, my answer is we're getting my nephew one. It's never too early to start IMHO. And a warning, it's hard getting a 2 year old to try on helmets, bring backup!

- tons of editing

MinnieMouse
04-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Beth has had her Kettler since September and she's not allowed to ride it w/o her helmet.

It is a hard and fast rule w/ us and there has been times that we have stopped riding sessions on her trike because she insisted on NOT wearing it.

There is probably minimal protection at this age using her trike, but I want her used to the fact that when she rides a bike she must wear a helmet. That way when she gets older it is just what we do.

FWIW, we found a decent Bell toddler helmet with animals all over it at Toys R Us.

Oh and Bethany will be turning 3yo this summer.

Christine

pamela mom of 3
04-20-2004, 09:11 AM
They do make helmets for young tots and it is probably a good plan to start it while their young..that way it becomes something they expect just goes along with bike riding. Now with being lower i don't think their are the same dangers involved i mean a foot pedal ride on can be similar in height it's more about again thinking this is a two-part deal bike=helmet.

Walmart does sell some i noticed by little tikes..TRU should have something also :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

sugarsnappea
04-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Target also carries toddler sized styrofoam-type helmets. We started JG with a helmet when she received the trike. She actually thought it was very cool, probably due to the Elmo bike episode! :) Now she points out all the kids in the neighborhood who don't wear helmets!

momma_boo
04-20-2004, 10:01 AM
We ordered a Kettler and will DEFINITELY be getting a helmet for her. I think it's never too early to start and get her used to it, so that she automatically associates bike riding (even little trikes) with helmets.

Besides, on Sunday we were outside and she was scooting around on the driveway riding her Little Tykes Scooter - she was getting off, fell, and banged her head on the ground. I figure she'll be higher off the ground on the tryke, so need to protect her little noggin!

amp
04-20-2004, 10:09 AM
We have a helmet (toddler size Bell bought at TRU) and unfortunately, we haven't gotten into the habit of making DS wear it. We make him wear it when we put him on the back of DH's bike in the bike seat, but we have not put it on him on the trike, which I am sure we should be doing.

votre_ami03
04-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Good question Julie! I was just thinking about this yesterday. I saw a toddler on a trike last night wearing a helmet, until then the thought never crossed my mind.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

julierobin
04-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Excellent question -- I hadn't even thought about it.

I did a quick search on the internet and see that www.rei.com carries child/toddler size helmets. http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4500772

Also, bike stores will have toddler helmets. I think I'll head over to our local "Eriks" Bike store and take a look.

Thanks for posting such a great question and reminder.

Julie, Mommy to Ben 8/7/03

nicurn96
04-20-2004, 01:39 PM
I bought a helmet for Lydia to use on her trike but the smallest one they had is still way to big for her. Right now we are only using her trike as a glorified stroller but when she is on her own on the trike she will always wear one. I am still going to try to go to a bike helmet fitting to see if I can find one that will fit her now.

Lisa
Mommy to Lydia~5/13/2003

stillplayswithbarbies
04-20-2004, 02:07 PM
We got one at Toys R Us. I want to establish the rule right from the start. I did this with my son too and now at age 13 I never have to fight with him about wearing his helmet.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Thatchermom
04-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Check around for info in your local area. It is law here that DS wear his helmet, yes, even for a trike. On the plus side, there are weekly fittings at the hospital and helmets there are only $5. Info was posted at our peds office, but you could probably call city hall/hospitals for your local info.

Momof3Labs
04-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Colin has one for riding in the bike trailer; we got it at a bike shop.

A close childhood friend of mine died a few years ago in a bicycle accident - a helmet may have saved her life had she been wearing one. We don't treat a helmet as "optional" when Colin is doing anything biking related.

etwahl
04-20-2004, 09:53 PM
that's where we got ours. they custom fit it (put the proper pads in) and it was only $25. and a great quality helmet. she can't go on her trike without a helmet. never too young to learn good safety.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

zoethebeagle
04-20-2004, 10:49 PM
My daughter (2.5) was so excited to buy her new helmet (I also think partially because of the Elmo video!) The biggest decision was blue and red versus pink and purple! She thinks its cool and I think its important to wear it from the start.

We got ours at Target- it is toddler sized and I think it was around $18.00

Erika
Caleigh 9/11/01
Jaren 12/18/03

gisele
04-21-2004, 12:54 AM
REI carries infant helmets. We got ours there (Bell).
Many bike shops also carry them. I definitely want my son to wear a helmet on the trike.

kijip
04-21-2004, 01:10 AM
I remember always being fussy about wearing a helmet when I was about 11- this was just when helmets became more common/required. When the girl 2 doors down died in a bike accident- she was 6 and hit a brick retaining wall at the bottom on a short hill I never fussed again. She was wearing a used, already cracked helmet. A new helmet would have likely saved her life. I have never gone without a helmet or failed to replace my aging helmets regularly since!

celfsh
04-21-2004, 06:19 PM
A helmet didn't even occur to me (duh) before reading this thread, but it definitely makes sense. Thanks for the reminder!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

riostoker
04-22-2004, 10:25 AM
We have the very definitive rule that she can not even sit on the trike without her helmet. We've had that rule from day-one, and it is one rule that we never let slide. She is allowed to ride her more stable little 4 wheeled toys without a helmet, but not her trike. I think if you start them early, they get used to the helmet and are less likely to fight it later on. If they want to ride the trike enough, they'll wear it. My 2.5 y.o. DD always tells us, "I need my helmet" whenever she wants to ride her trike or scooter. She knows the rules. Our kettler trike is an older one, so it doesn't have the limited steering that helps prevent tip-overs. She tips over somewhat regularly when she makes too tight a turn or tries to go down an incline and she's not perfectly perpendicular to the hill. She definitely needs a helmet for those situations. I bet even the newer trikes would still tip some in the hill situation. That doesn't have anything to do with the steering.

ann