PDA

View Full Version : Question for People with the Parents Around the Block Wagon?

caroline9
05-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I just asked a question about the RF wagons, but realized now I should be asking about another wagon! I have the Parents Around the Block wagon in the basement awaiting DD's birthday Thursday, but she has been walking for two weeks now. Is this a toy she will use? I don't even know if I can return it, I bought it in December so I could only return it "without a receipt," and possibly only get clearance prices for it. Any feedback on if this toy is useful for toddlers?

TIA

Caroline
Mommy to Isabel 05/06/2003

justlearning
05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
I have this wagon and gave it to DS back in November. He really enjoyed playing with the bead maze part of it back then but isn't really into those kind of bead mazes at the moment. He has another one too that he used to be interested in but not at the moment--I think other kids his age do like them, though, and I'm guessing DS will again in the future.

Regarding using it as a walker, DS has not started walking yet. He is able to push it and walk with it, but he really doesn't do it on his own unless I get him started on it. My guess is that he will enjoy pushing it more on his own in the future because he should be able to steer it better. Right now once he runs into a wall with it, he sits down and starts crying because he can't figure out how to back it up and steer it in a new direction. Thus, my guess is that the wagon will continue to be fun to push even though your DD is already walking--she will probably enjoy it more than my son does at the moment. I have seen other children who really seem to enjoy pushing objects (e.g., doll strollers) once they're walking so your DD may be the same way.

The part of the wagon that DS has probably liked the best are all the blocks that come with it. The fabric blocks held his attention more back months ago, but they're still fun to play with because they squeek, rattle, and have crinkly sounds. He also enjoyed the plastic blocks more months ago than he does now because he always stuck them into this mouth to chew on them when he was going through that phase. He still enjoys playing with them, though, and likes to put them inside his toy refrigerator. The wood blocks are now his favorite part of the wagon. He has always enjoyed knocking down the towers that we build with them, but he is now just starting to try to stack them on his own. The wood blocks are really nice, in my opinion. If you bought wood blocks at PBK, they're smaller and about the same price as your wagon was on clearance (assuming you paid $25 for it). Thus, I'd keep it just for the blocks if for no other reason.

The other way that DS enjoys playing with his wagon is putting toys inside of the two compartments and taking them out. He used to do this more a few months ago than he does now, but that may be because he's gotten more toys now so he's not stuck with just playing with his wagon. A few weeks ago, we had some problems with him climbing on top of the wagon (he also took a fall this way), but he's been doing well lately at following our instructions to not do so.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend keeping the wagon if you got it for a great price--especially if you don't already have nice wood blocks or other toys to push around. I did not get it on clearance but am still very glad that we got it. I also like the fact that it's cute enough (wood, not plastic) that I don't mind keeping it in our family room. My guess is that DS will continue to enjoy this wagon for a long time in addition to the blocks that came with it. HTH...

bluej
05-04-2004, 08:28 PM
We have this and Ryden loves it. He pushes it, loads it up with toys, and his favorite part (the part you should be warned about) is he LOVES to use it as a stepping stool to get onto higher things! Still, even though he gets into 'trouble' with it, I think it's a great product and imagine we'll get quite a bit of use out of it over the next year or two.

caroline9
05-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks Anne for such a thorough response! The blocks do look fun. I am torn about what to do as I would think that she might like the blocks, but at $50.00 and since she already has a plastic walker (used) maybe it should go...I hate to lose money on it though!

Jen, thanks also for your feeback, how old is Ryden? Is he walking? Good to know he likes it so much!

Caroline
Mommy to Isabel 05/06/2003

bluej
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
He's 11 months and he's been walking for about a month. He likes it more now than when he was just cruising (I imagine b/c he has more control now). I do think you will get your money's worth out if you aren't able to return it. I would use it, enjoy it and resell it before I would return it for less than I paid. Or you can save it for a nice gift for someone.

wagner36
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I just wanted to second Jen's warning - Charlie LOVES to use it as a stepping stool! He's tipped it over quite a few times and taken a few spills. Nothing serious, but enough to scare him.

Charlie also just likes the blocks. He's been walking for about a month, and has never really been into pushing it....

s7714
05-04-2004, 11:44 PM
DD got this at Christmas from Grandma, and has loved it from day one. She adores all the different blocks it came with. The bead things haven't really been much of an interest to her yet.

She's not walking yet, so I can't comment on the pushing of it. Like others have mentioned, she does try to climb it like stairs frequently. My only other warning is that because the wagon is so heavy, it is a big ouch when it rolls over wee little fingers and toes!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

amp
05-05-2004, 09:08 AM
My son is not really walking yet, but does use the wagon to walk. So I can't really speak to the longevity of the item once they are walking alone.

He *loves* all of the various blocks in the darn thing! It's loaded! It has fabric blocks that have mirrors, rattles, squeakers, etc. It has wooden blocks w/ painted letters and matching pics on them. And it has rubber blocks with numbers and then animals or other that correspond w/ the number listed.

He, like some of the other kids noted, likes to climb on it and has tipped it over. He also uses it as a step stool to climb on other furniture.

vikivoly
05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
First, let me say that I love this walker and would buy it again, but since DD has started to walk, she hasn't payed as much attention to it. I just took the blocks out and put the wagon away for baby #2. DD is 17 months old, but in all fairness isn't really into pushing things around or climbing on things. If I would have space, I would have left it out, but it was just sitting in my livingroom.

BTW, if you can find them, Target was clearancing them for less than $25 around Christmas.

JLiebCamm
05-07-2004, 06:37 AM
This is DS's favorite toy (he's 17 months) because he's very into lining up the blocks in the various compartments as well as building towers out of them. He also likes to throw them (and those wooden ones are heavy!). He never used it for walking; I think it was too heavy to push it well. He does like top climb on it, unfortunatley. But I would definitely buy it again because it's the first thing he goes for now.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-07-2004, 08:09 PM
I have this but would not buy it again. Yes, the blocks are nice, but we had to put up the wagon. She uses it as a stepstool to climg on, and it is too heavy for her to push well. She can only go in a straight line with it. I guess it was worth the price just for the blocks, if you get it on clearance, but we didn't.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03